The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What TWO songs from each artist should have been the singles from the Behind The Mask

First of all SAVE ME ABSOLUTELY SUCKS and should NEVER have been released as a single!!! What were they thinking???

Stevie:
Love is Dangerous should have been the first single. This introduces a new member of Fleetwood mac (Rick Vito) and has Stevie on it too. Who doesn't think this would have made a great debut?
Freedom should have been her 2nd single.

Christine:
Behind The Mask
When It Comes To Love, because this introduces a new member(Billy) and you get he and Christine, who the world was very familiar with, all in one song. If you guys tell me it was Rick she was singing this with then I am going to have to hide under a chair.

Billy:
In The Back Of My Mind should have been the 2nd single from this album, after the success of Love Is Dangerous. This is such an incredible song and totally sounds like a Fleetwood Mac song ,pre-Buckingham Nicks. This song was the opening song on the Behind the Mask Tour and worked very well in the live setting.
When It Comes To Love. See Christine singles for explanation.

Rick:
Love Is Dangerous. See Stevie singles for explanation.
I can't pick a second one right now because I haven't listened to this album in ages. I had to look at my cassette to see what songs are on this.

Overall I think the public would have been more accepting of Rick and Billy if they were introduced to the world singing duets with Christine and Stevie,(with the exception of ITBOMM) not singing songs by themselves and then they probably would have continued to be successful with their current fan base and a whole new generation of fans.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can I cheat, Viv? Can I choose one or two that were demo's for BTM but were not chosen for the album? Ah, I saw you nodding your head. Okay.

Christine:

1) I really love the title song Behind the Mask, it's dark, mysterious, and sexy.

2) Skies the Limit was a good choice (although I would have liked it better if SOMEBODY involved in this album could have caught the misspelling).

Stevie:

1) What Viv said about Love Is Dangerous is 100% spot on. (It's credited to both S & R, but hearts made of crystal crumble like castles of sand is certainly Stevie-jargon).

2) Freedom, although I'd like to hear it more edgy and angry, and less bouncy.

Billy:

In The Back of My Mind was creative, and it played well live.

When The Sun Goes Down could have gotten some play on country-rock, too. Enjoyable.

Rick:

(Here's where those demos come in. )

Got No Home should have been on the album, and could well have been released as a single. Tasteful hard-rocking winner - coulda been a hit.

Intuition What were they thinking, not using this great song? I like Stevie's background vocal (as done on King of Hearts) better than the Chris/Billy backing (as done on the demos).

(I like both of those songs better than Stand on The Rock.)

And that album cover was a truly awful idea!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the idea was to establish the identity of the new line-up - not sabotage that identity with a who-the-hell-are-these-people? cover photo!
Sabotage, I tell ya.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie:
1. Freedom, 2. Love Is Dangerous.
Christine:
1. Skies The Limit, 2. Save Me.
Rick:
1. Got No Home, 2. Love Is Dangerous.
Billy:
1. When It Comes To Love, 2. The Game Of Love.

I want Stevie to tour in Europe!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie/Rick: Desiree
Stevie: Affairs Of the Heart
Christine: Sky Is the Limit (spelling!)
Billy: Victim Of Love
Billy/Rick: When the Sun Goes Down

Somehow, I think Christine's songs from Time are stronger than her songs on BTM, with the notable exception of her 2 duets with Billy, which are really great.

The people on the cover photo still remain a mystery. Are they actors?

The real mistake, however, was having this band tour behind one album and a compilation (on which none of the new members sings a song) before recording their first full length album - and to make matters worse, then follow it up with a career spanning boxed set of all the old bands that sailed under the same banner.
Instead, they should have released a follow-up album at the time of the singles "Love Shines" and "Paper Doll".

If this isn't proof enough that too many archive releases can end a band's career, then I don't know what is.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Rick:

(Here's where those demos come in. )

Got No Home should have been on the album, and could well have been released as a single. Tasteful hard-rocking winner - coulda been a hit.
DEFINITELY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Intuition What were they thinking, not using this great song? I like Stevie's background vocal (as done on King of Hearts) better than the Chris/Billy backing (as done on the demos).
Agree with the song choice, but not the arrangement...don't really care for Stevie's backgrounds...like Chris & Billy better...but, a version that COMBINES both versions would've been the best.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster View Post

The people on the cover photo still remain a mystery. Are they actors?
I remember reading at the time that the girl is Amy Fleetwood, Mick's daughter. I don't know if that's true though.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No one picked "Do You Know?!?!?" Man, if they had followed "Love Is Dangerous" with this beauty, they would have had a HUGE A/C hit!!!!!
(Then they should have continued with "Freedom", "Skies The Limit" and "In The Back Of My Mind").
Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
First of all SAVE ME ABSOLUTELY SUCKS and should NEVER have been released as a single!!! What were they thinking???

Stevie:
Love is Dangerous should have been the first single. This introduces a new member of Fleetwood mac (Rick Vito) and has Stevie on it too. Who doesn't think this would have made a great debut?
Freedom should have been her 2nd single.

Christine:
Behind The Mask
When It Comes To Love, because this introduces a new member(Billy) and you get he and Christine, who the world was very familiar with, all in one song. If you guys tell me it was Rick she was singing this with then I am going to have to hide under a chair.

Billy:
In The Back Of My Mind should have been the 2nd single from this album, after the success of Love Is Dangerous. This is such an incredible song and totally sounds like a Fleetwood Mac song ,pre-Buckingham Nicks. This song was the opening song on the Behind the Mask Tour and worked very well in the live setting.
When It Comes To Love. See Christine singles for explanation.

Rick:
Love Is Dangerous. See Stevie singles for explanation.
I can't pick a second one right now because I haven't listened to this album in ages. I had to look at my cassette to see what songs are on this.

Overall I think the public would have been more accepting of Rick and Billy if they were introduced to the world singing duets with Christine and Stevie,(with the exception of ITBOMM) not singing songs by themselves and then they probably would have continued to be successful with their current fan base and a whole new generation of fans.
Ok. Here's my picks on this idea:

I would agree with "Love Is Dangerous" as the first single and for the reasons you state Viv.

Followed by "Do You Know", for similar reasons as "Love Is Dangerous" but with Billy and Christine.

Then "Walk Another Mile" by Rick. This sounds so much like an FM song that I can't believe it was never considered. It defies explanation.

Then "Save Me". It's classic Christine McVie/Fleetwood Mac material. Don't know why some people don't like this song. It fits perfectly.

Then "Freedom". That way, we get two new songs from Rick and Billy with Stevie and Christine, then a solo Rick, then Christine and Stevie, following up with either "When The Sun Goes Down" or "Hard Feelings" (perhaps with a little remix so that it's not quiet so slow) so that we get more Billy.

Those are my picks anyway. I've never understood why more people couldn't be more accepting of Rick and Billy and have made those feelings known on this forum many times. Both guys are awesome and really put in great performances not only on the FM material they had to work with, but also their own contributions. I do very clearly recall at the Cow Palace show in December 1987, people in the crowd were yelling "Lindsey who?!" during the performance. "What could have been" I guess.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
No one picked "Do You Know?!?!?" Man, if they had followed "Love Is Dangerous" with this beauty, they would have had a HUGE A/C hit!!!!!
(Then they should have continued with "Freedom", "Skies The Limit" and "In The Back Of My Mind").
I didn't pick "Do You Know" because I think it's too sweet for radio. And I once fell in love to "Do You Know" so it's a song I really enjoy.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
I have actually heard "Do You Know" on the radio. So I guess some DJ out there thinks it would make a great single. (I agree!)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I have actually heard "Do You Know" on the radio. So I guess some DJ out there thinks it would make a great single. (I agree!)
Do You Know is my favorite song from BTM! I made a new Greatest Hits CD, a few weeks ago, trying to pick at least 2 songs from each album. From BTM, Do You Know, and Hard Feelings made the cut. DYK has a special meaning for me. Yeah, I'm old enough to remember when it came out...it takes me back to a certain relationship, with all sorts of unresolved feelings.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Are some of those outtakes of Billy /Ricks up on You Tube at all? I've not ever heard some of them before?? Just wondering?? Thanks
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is something http://www.youtube.com/user/freetwootmak (some songs from his King og Hearts album, where are some songs which was on BTM outtakes).

I want Stevie to tour in Europe!