User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post

These albums were around in the late 1980's in America. Again, Mick Fleetwood made sure the early Fleetwood Mac would not be uncovered until the "Rumours" band quit. If it wasn't for the internet, and youtube, Peter Green would be some lost soul who joined John Mayall for six months.
I find this to be a rather odd statement- not really sure what you mean.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
+ 1

(Peter Green´s) Fleetwood Mac were HUGE in 1969-70.
Why would that be forgotten...?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bob Welch's song,"Future Games" was his best work in FM, until "Sentimental Lady"(Bare Trees).

These albums were around in the late 1980's in America. Again, Mick Fleetwood made sure the early Fleetwood Mac would not be uncovered until the "Rumours" band quit. If it wasn't for the internet, and youtube, Peter Green would be some lost soul who joined John Mayall for six months.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
+ 1

(Peter Green´s) Fleetwood Mac were HUGE in 1969-70.
Why would that be forgotten...?
+2 (& then some)
It wasn't Mick Fleetwood who threw a tizzy-fit about playing songs from pre-75 incarnations (especially after July '77)...that was one of the other members. So, Mick's not on the hook for people ignoring prior incarnations (at least in the '80s)...NOW? Well, that's a different story. BOB WELCH, BOB WELCH, BOB WELCH!!!

If you'd read Guitar Player magazine, there's RARELY an issue that the name "Peter Green" DOESN'T appear somewhere in some interview about being an inspiration.

From '75 onward, everytime Fleetwood Mac released a new album, the entire back catalogue would get a bump in sales.

Last edited by chiliD; 06-24-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So Peter Green was mentioned in those cocaine filled booze years with the Rumours band in "writing". Remember in 1977, there is no internet.

Why did it take 15 years to release the Boston Tea Party tapes to the public? LB left the band in 1985. Mick was protecting his golden goose.

For those of you who have no knowledge of the Peter Green era, Mick Fleetwood knew that if those recordings came out, the pop FM band would attract old FM fans, with current fans asking "what"?

It's hard to believe that a band that launched Aerosmith, and ZZ Top, became a pop band. RIP Terry Kath, he was the rock force behind Chicago. (hint)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why did it take 15 years to release the Boston Tea Party tapes to the public? LB left the band in 1985. Mick was protecting his golden goose.
Slipkid do you know the history of these recordings ? Who taped them ? Were they bootlegs originally ? Who owned the copyright originally - Fleetwood Mac?, Or did they have to acquire it at some point from the original copyright holder in order that they could release it some unspecified time in the future or conversely supress it until such time as it suited them ?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So Peter Green was mentioned in those cocaine filled booze years with the Rumours band in "writing". Remember in 1977, there is no internet.

LB left in '87.

Why it took so long to release Boston Tea Party? Well, you'd have to ask Clifford Davies...as part of the settlement in the bogus band litigation in '73/74, he had control over Fleetwood Mac material up to Mystery To Me. The Boston Tea Party recordings were originaly slated to be a double live LP to be released in late 1970, but due to Peter Green's departure, they shelved the album (the recordings of which were heavily bootlegged until the early '80s...even then the release was only SEMI-official.)

Ahhhh, "if only" (he thought....pondering how the release of a double live album in 1970 would've changed Fleetwood Mac history forever).
Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick was protecting his golden goose.
I honestly think you're reading something in that really isn't there. Mick always comes across as being proud of the blues origins of the band. They continued to play early songs in their set list long after Peter left. Indeed Oh Well featured on the 1980 Live album and Mick payed tribute with Rattlesnake Shake on the Visitor.

I think Fleetwood Mac were full on busy touring/promoting/recording from 75 through to the early 1980's. I don't think they had a lot of down time during that whole period. That there wasn't more Peter Green reference during that period was probably just down to the fact Mick was so wrapped up in the current band affairs.

As far as 'golden goose' is concerned, I'd be very surprised if there was much money to be made from Boston Live- we're not talking huge sales here. Compare this with the sort of money he was making from Rumours/touring etc. The Boston material would have been worth peanuts by comparison.

Forgive my ignorance (I may be wrong here) but I thought I read somewhere Mick spent considerable time trying to help Peter put together solo albums in the 1970's.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 AM
slipkid
This message has been deleted by slipkid.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
LB left in '87.

Why it took so long to release Boston Tea Party? Well, you'd have to ask Clifford Davies...as part of the settlement in the bogus band litigation in '73/74, he had control over Fleetwood Mac material up to Mystery To Me. The Boston Tea Party recordings were originaly slated to be a double live LP to be released in late 1970, but due to Peter Green's departure, they shelved the album (the recordings of which were heavily bootlegged until the early '80s...even then the release was only SEMI-official.)

Ahhhh, "if only" (he thought....pondering how the release of a double live album in 1970 would've changed Fleetwood Mac history forever).
Clifford Davies was the manager after Peter Green left, until he tried to defraud the real band . He knew to release a 2-LP live album of a band that no longer existed would ruin the make-shift "Kiln House" version of FM. I get it. The reason we now have the proper Tea Party concerts, is all due to Davies' ex-wife getting everything in a divorce settlement. I read too much into "den mother" Mick Fleetwood interviews from the "rich years". Now that the Rumours band is in "reunion" form, Mick openly talks about how great his first version of FM was.

However, Mick, and John use Munich as an excuse. Peter was perfectly sane when he left FM. Green was sick and tired of being turned down for charity concerts, and rejected for non-profit ideas. Of all the "official" rock "acid casualties", Peter Green is not one of them. Logic says, why did FM ask Green to replace Jeremy Spencer in early 1971 for the winter/spring US tour? If I were Moby Grape, or Pink Floyd; I would not ask Skip Spence to replace a bandmember who left, nor Syd Barrett. It wasn't that Peter Green lost his mind, he discovered free-form German prog. rock. It's called Krautrock, and it makes UK prog. rock very pedestrian. Green was bored with FM. Mick Fleetwood can't say that in a documentary.

This is why I feel Mick Fleetwood has "fudged" the truth to make sure the pop version of FM was the only band, when they were making money by the ton. How convenient. Only when Fleetwood is playing blues drums again with his band does he tell the public about the early days.

Last edited by slipkid; 06-27-2014 at 12:35 AM..
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Mystery to Me"

Rock on!! Let's show some PRE-75 LOVE !!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Clifford Davies was the manager after Peter Green left, until he tried to defraud the real band . .
He was the manager from the very formation of Fleetwood Mac surely

Just because his ex missus got his assets (or more likely just some of them ) in a divorce settlement ,does not necessarilly mean she got the rights to any recordings - though she might have of course She may have got the publishers split on the songwriting I'm also unclear about whether any record company can officially release a recording without having the permission of everyone involved in that recording** ? ( There are certain British TV progs which have never been repeated because just one cast member refused to give his permission ,for example )

** perhaps you can enlighten us on that subject Jeremy ?

Last edited by THD; 06-27-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Old 06-29-2014, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post

Just because his ex missus got his assets (or more likely just some of them ) in a divorce settlement ,does not necessarilly mean she got the rights to any recordings - though she might have of course She may have got the publishers split on the songwriting I'm also unclear about whether any record company can officially release a recording without having the permission of everyone involved in that recording** ? ( There are certain British TV progs which have never been repeated because just one cast member refused to give his permission ,for example )

Jeremy knows the truth, but I bet WB was not happy when PG left. WB also knew that without PG, the expected 2LP live album would ruin the current (post PG) FM. Peter Green did "The End of the Game" to get out of his personal contract. That should've been the BTP live album.

I am convinced if the BTP live album is released in late 1970, we do not know Lindsay Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks as members of FM.

I just find it curious that the BTP recordings in their proper form remastered didn't get released until 1999. I think there is a direct connection to the Clifford Davies divorce settlement.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post

Michelle Reynolds owned and perhaps still owns the Tea Party recordings. As for the other point, yes permission would be needed but is not always sought.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's like picking your favorite child! I love all them in varying degrees.

Then Play On
Kiln House
Future Games
Bare Trees
Penguin
Mystery to Me
Heroes are Hard to Find

Heroes took some time for me to truly embrace. But I love it now.
Penguin is good, but probably my least favorite.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mystery to Me

I also have a big soft spot for Heroes Are Hard to Find, Bare Trees and Penguin.

Last edited by He's So Unusual; 07-05-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favourite is Future Games - I love the weird emptiness of the album. It creates a special atmosphere.