Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Favs:

Destiny Rules: though I'm not crazy about re-using the same lyrics from Illume. They dont fit the song.

Illume: so tribal and dark, i love it. Stevie's voice soars.

Say You Will: I like the kids at the end. Very cool!

Goodbye Baby: I'm not sure who's idea it was, but I love the way Stevie sings this song. It's perfect for the arrangement.

Not Make Believe: I have to say this is probably my fav. It doesn't stray too far from the demo and the ending sounds great.

Miranda: Cool song! XRT in Chicago is already playing this cut.

Other faves: Bleed to Love her, Steal Your Heart Away, Whats the World and I rather like Silver Girl as well.

Misses:

Everybody Finds Out: Everybody just found out that this song sucks. Note to Stevie: Michael Campbell: yes. Rick Nowels: no!
And does anybody else hear that the chorus is exactly the same
as Miss Me Blind by Culture Club?!

Running And Smile: Over produced! Where's the chorus for Smile? and too much guitar in Running!

This is 2 "guitar-oriented" albums for Stevie in a row. Let's hear some piano Stevie. Thats where your songs really flourish!

Come, Murrow and Say Goodbye are forgetable.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm very pleased with Say You Will! I was mostly curious to hear Lindsey's stuff, because I loved all the GoS demos. I was both happy and disappointed that his tracks sound pretty much the same as the demos [if that makes sense! ].

The songs I find myself listening to over and over are:

What's the World Coming To
Murrow Turning Over in His Grave [this one never stuck out as a GoS track, but now I'm sort of obsessed with it]
Thrown Down
Say You Will [although I could do without the kids. Are they even kids, or is it Lindsey playing with his favourite toy? God only knows...]
Steal Your Heart Away [probably my favourite GoS track, and I love the album version]
Goodbye Baby

I keep skipping Smile At You, so I don't know if I like it or not. It may grow on me yet. Silver Girl is okay, but not spectacular.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Junior Ledgie

I guess I'm nuts or something since no one else picked it, but after listening to the album twice my favorite is still Come But I'm a sucker for all the crazy Lindsey stuff and the long solos... its nice to know that he still Goes Insane

It took me a little while but I like Red Rover as well, and Murrow ROCKS. Peacekeeper and Bleed to Love Her were good but I expected that. Thrown Down was good but I like the demo much much better. (TD is actually the only FM demo I've heard)

I liked the words to Illume and her voice near the end but overall there wasn't much of a likeable melody to me in the song and seemed repetitive. Same thing for Goodbye Baby, really good words but I wasn't into the tune. Miranda was pretty good, liked the guitar parts (as always). Liked Say Goodbye, pretty guitar but I agree on his voice.. too whispery...

For Stevie Destiny Rules, Smile at you, Running, and Everybody Finds Out were *great* to me also, really liked the climax part of EFO, lots of anger (Lindsey using strings?? )

I agreed about Silver Girl... to me it = BLAH *skip* The other ones I wasn't into was What's the World Coming To, Say You Will, Steal Your Heart Away. Blah

Haven't heard the songs on the Enhanced version or whatever.

I wake up alone with it all
I wake up but only to fall
Old 04-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Overall I LOVE the album. I know there are some of you that probably really like these songs but with the set up of the album, it's no wonder that some reviewers gave it lower marks than it deserves. I do not like What's The World Coming To nor do I like Murrow Turning Over In His Grave. I can't really get into Illume that much either... it's *so so.* I don't think they should have been the first three songs on the album...they should have mixed it up a bit as they aren't the best on the album.

I do love Stevie's songs on the album and I love Say Goodbye and Red Rover and i've liked Bleed To Love Her since I first heard it when The Dance came out. Quite honestly though, I can see why Warner Bros. didn't want Lindsey to make an album of his own...the songs just aren't strong enough. However, his guitar work is pretty ACE.

Marissa
Old 04-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When I first heard the songs on the AOL stream I did not care for Red Rover or Silver Girl. I now have many copies of the Cds now. I am starting to like both songs a little better now.
My favorites are Destiny Rules and Say You Will. I still can't seem to get into Stevie's vocal on Goodbye Baby. I guess I am just used to the Tower demo.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Hmmm....

FAVE TRACK: RED ROVER - MY GOD, THIS SONG KILLS ME...his voice, the guitars, the lyrics (see my Red Rover thread!!)....I don't see how anyone can not like this song, but that's all about opinion, right?

LEAST FAVE: Silver Girl - I don't HATE it or anything, but out of ALL the songs, it's just okay.

This is a VERY strong album, and I don't think it's too long or anything, I LOVE long albums!! I have YET to listen to the bonus CD on the LE version, as I've listened to the regular edition twice now!!

My other faves: Come, Everybody Finds Out (WOW!!), Smile at You. These are my INSTANT LOVE songs, of course, I had already heard Come a trazillion times, but I FRICKIN LOVE IT!!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Murrow and Pink Floyd?

Next to FM, Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all time. I guess that's why I'm really into Murrow. It has a lot of a Floyd sound in it to me. The screaming guitar solo reminds me somewhat of Comfortably Numb, and the voices at the end remind me of the ending of Welcome to the Machine. Great track.

So far the only song I find myself skipping is Silver Girl. Sorry Stevie, I just haven't been able to get into it.

Overall, great album in my opinion.

Brad
Old 04-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Brad...

I think you need to meet seteca (a fellow Ledgie), he LOVES PF too!! There are some other PF fans here too. I've been listening to some of their stuff and it's WAY cool!!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

What a great CD!! I've spent most of the day listening to it, and enjoying reading the reviews.
I love the fact that it is a long cd, because when you have a band like Fleetwood Mac who tend to have long periods of time between albums, we can enjoy and get to explore and appreciate all the music on these 18 songs.
So far, I am totally blown away by "Goodbye Baby" It is such a great song and her vocal is just amazing. I also really like "Miranda", "Destiny Rules" and "Thrown Down".
I really get drawn into "Illume", it's another one I found myself playing over and over.
This CD is going to be talked about for a long time because it really is probably their most complex work.You really have to sit and listen to it and let it unfold over and over again.
This makes me look forward even more to seeing them in San Jose and Oakland!

Joseph
Old 04-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christy,

Very nice. I think it shows that we Ledgies have good taste in music! And very good for you for starting to get into Pink Floyd. They're a nice break from Fleetwood Mac and are just as amazing (but in a much different way), IMO.

BTW, did you get tickets for AA? I got section 10 row R through the fanclub. I think I finally convinced one of my med school friends to go with me since no one from home wants to go.

Brad
Old 04-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FAVES-----

Everybody Finds Out - Contrary, ironic, saucy, aggressive. The bass line is insistent and the climax is a killer. I can just see her shaking that mike stand and waving her skirt. That's the Stevie I love.

Miranda - The taunting, bouncing energy is great. Love the play of the two voices. Lindsey at his best.

Illume - Some very clunky lyrics screaming for an editor, but the production is hypnotic and relentless. The last verse is brilliant singing from Miss N.

Murrow - Madness, but tuneful, deliberate madness. Inescapable.

PK - Catchy, propulsive beat and a soaring chorus. The sense of foreboding and danger are almost real enough to touch. Classic.

Trying To Like -----

Come - Jarring changes distract the heck right outta me.

SYW - Can't get it out of my mind that this is a wanna be Chris song. Plus, the kids are annoying and border on creepy.

Say Goodbye - Such a graceful, pretty melody, but the frantic, insistent guitar clashes. Gives me a headache. Want to turn the guitar down 50%.

RTTG - Great vocal. I am trying so hard to adjust to that wacky instrumentation. Is that a 100 dollar 1981 Casio keyboard from Radio Shack ?

Misses -----

Destiny Rules - Stellar, until the Illume verse TRAIN WRECKS the song. What was that thing on Electric Company ? "Which one of these things does not belong?" Then they show an apple, a banana, an orange, and a hammer. That verse is a big ass rusty hammer. The song does not recover. A vile disappointment, as this song starts out to be cohesive and sensible. In fact, I love the first 2/3 of it. Big drag.

Silver Girl - Oh man. The chorus is kind of sweet, but this clunker is straight outta Street Angel. Stevie at her navel gazing worst.

This is certainly subject to change. Knee deep in a new music festival with this, Rosanne Cash and Lisa Marie Presley (which is far better than I ever expected it to be).
Old 04-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Brad...

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Christy,

Very nice. I think it shows that we Ledgies have good taste in music! And very good for you for starting to get into Pink Floyd. They're a nice break from Fleetwood Mac and are just as amazing (but in a much different way), IMO.

BTW, did you get tickets for AA? I got section 10 row R through the fanclub. I think I finally convinced one of my med school friends to go with me since no one from home wants to go.

Brad
Yeah, they are TOTALLY different from the Mac in ways, but they DO have that etheral feel like Stevie's stuff and then the MANIC guitars like Lindsey.

Yep, I got my tickets. I'm going to the concert with seteca (and now my mom too) actually and we are sitting in Section 105. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE CONCERT!!!!!!!! Seeing Lindsey is just gonna send me into HYSTERICS!!!! LOL
Old 04-15-2003, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok well Ive had a chance to listen more now...

Really enjoy Red Rover. Amazing how good Lindsey still plays after all these years. Love SYW, I dig the kids on the end very cute. Reminds me of when Stevie and Chris were so young back in the day. I like Miranda too, and of course Im still going nuts on Illume. One of the songs reminded me a bit of World Turning I heard that riff somewhat Im not sure if it was Rover or not. Enjoy Silver Girl although it is a slower tune.

More unsolicited thoughts when they come!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Faves: Say You Will, What's the World Coming To, Say Goodbye, Everybody Finds Out

Least Faves: Come, Silver Girl, Miranda, Murrow

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 04-16-2003, 03:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Okay..... so "Silver Girl" sucks. Just like "Its Only Love" sucked on TISL..... However.............

RUNNING THROUGH THE GARDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Killler!!!!! And I never expected it, either....

The other song, the one that's most important, is "Goodbye Baby". I was a little bit thrown by the change in key and dynamic, however...... Stevie made me cry again.....

Lindsey's songs (other than "Peacekeeper") are too weird to review...... Where the hell was a grand piano in this album???? It almost feels like some 80's Depeche Mode/OMD album.

Since Lindsey produced ALL of Stvie's songs, I feel that she deserved more piano and killler guitar. "Smile At You" could have been SO much better (although its not bad).