The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was going to post three different responses to several comments in the "Blue Water", "All The Beautiful Worlds" and "Hard Advice" threads, but decided to just post everything here in the 24KG thread to keep things as concise as possible, since they all relate to the album as a whole.

Initially I had written that "Hard Advice" was my least favorite snippet thus far, but the funny thing is that I keep going back and listening to it, more so than any of the other clips. It's a fun one to harmonize with...and I'm really beginning to see the potential of this being a great song. Her vocal on this one is like honey! So I'm a hell of a lot more excited about this one now.

In regards to "All The Beautiful Worlds", like most of you, I share your trepidation. Even though the "Wild Heart" outtake version was never in my "top favorites" list, it's still a great song, and judging from the snippet, I think this might be another one that will have improved with age. Coming from a lyrical standpoint, the sentiment comes across a lot better from a 2014 Stevie than it does a young, 1983 Stevie.

Some of you have mentioned that there are several songs that could easily end up measuring up to the "worst aspects" of Street Angel. But as Christopher pointed out, she is no longer under the "zombie-fied" deluge of Klonopin, so I have to imagine that the worst song on this upcoming record has got to be light years above SA's worst.

Just to add a quick and interesting note about the "Blue Water" snippet, it's been barely over 24 hours since it's been posted on Instagram and already the "likes" have surpassed the "Carousel" and "Hard Advice" snippet posts from last week. That makes me so happy!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's probably impossible to truly tell based on 15 seconds what were truly going to like and dislike the most BUT just going off those, the last 3 clips have been the worse for. Hard Advice sounds boring. Carousel isn't much better. And Blue Water was never a favorite demo of mine, although her voice sounds good, it really needs more harmony.

Mable Normand has me beyond excited. I Don't Care does too especially if the rest of the song has even slightly better lyrics. I love the way all the beautiful worlds and belle fleur sound so far and really I wish if you were my love would've sampled a different 15 seconds, because while I like her voice on the clip we got it gave us no idea the direction they're gonna take that song. It should've started from the "with your crosses to bear" line.

So I'm really excited overall, it just sucks I've being underwhelmed the last 3 picks.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I wish if you were my love would've sampled a different 15 seconds, because while I like her voice on the clip we got it gave us no idea the direction they're gonna take that song. It should've started from the "with your crosses to bear" line.
Totally agree with you on this one! Although it seems whoever is putting together the snippets wants to make sure the "song title" gets mentioned somewhere in the 15 seconds.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I didn't put that together at all, but now as play them all in my head the song title is in EVERY clip. That's really cool. And also makes me feel better about the I don't care clip. Maybe we WONT be beat over the head with that many I don't cares. That's just showcasing the title.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This weeks fan submission...

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 09-11-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Old 09-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

^That's probably the best piece of fart (Fan-Art) I've ever seen.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think lot of you are comparing the final product to the demos too much, setting yourselves up for possible disappointment. Maybe you should (try) listening to these songs with a fresh mindset? Too bad they don't make pills to cause selective amnesia.

Myself, I've listened to demos here and there, but not very much. Mostly because they (usually) sound so unfinished. I'm thankful for that now.

Jamie
Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
I think lot of you are comparing the final product to the demos too much, setting yourselves up for possible disappointment. Maybe you should (try) listening to these songs with a fresh mindset? Too bad they don't make pills to cause selective amnesia.

Myself, I've listened to demos here and there, but not very much. Mostly because they (usually) sound so unfinished. I'm thankful for that now.

Jamie
Thats exactly what I'm going to do.I wait to when I receive it.Just like the other Stevie albums.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post

This weeks fan submission...
Wow .Nice job.Right on the money.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I am so far behind the curve on this and am probably already saying what all of you have said countless times, but after a week of listening to Stevie's "Lady," I am completely overwhelmed by how great a song and a performance it is. Blown away. I don't think I've been as excited about one of her performances since the "At Last" live performance in 1998--or the VH1 Storyteller version of "Has Anyone..."

"Lady" is an instant classic. It's cabaret and torch, it's glam and blues it's Stevie's "Send in the Clowns."

I can't get enough of it.

There. That's all.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Wow, I didn't put that together at all, but now as play them all in my head the song title is in EVERY clip. That's really cool. And also makes me feel better about the I don't care clip. Maybe we WONT be beat over the head with that many I don't cares. That's just showcasing the title.
Right. Which means tomorrow's clip of "Cathouse Blues" will undoubtedly be the "I got the cat house blues...I wear the highest of high heel shoes" part, or the refrain "...new red velvet shoes" whilst I'm guessing the "Watch Chain" snippet will be the "you're just a watch chain and it becomes you" section.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Someone on the Blue Water threat made a comment about this album being a "rush job". Part of the time it takes to make an album is writing the songs. She already decided on doing an album of songs she'd already written, so it was like going into it with half the work already done. So yeah, it took a lot less time, but they already had the songs started. And some of them already had full blown arrangements that the musicians had to work with.

I'm thinking of this like listening to Soundstage. Sara is one of my all time favorite songs that Stevie did with Fleetwood Mac. She'd done it so many times over the years in so many different ways. And the Soundstage version is very different than the original. The early Tusk performances were wild and passionate, with tears that came with the vocal ad libs at the end. And where the "wind became crazy" line was sung with conviction and passion in the old days, she now sings it as a woman looking back on her life knowing a lot more now than she did then. The new version doesn't negate the old one. Don't listen for improvements, listen to these songs for what they are, the current state of life that Stevie is in right now, looking back at these little gems that we all know and love. As much as I love the new Secret Love, I still have the original on heavy rotation. I still play the Rock A Little era demo of Lady From the Mountains even though I absolutely love Moonlight. One doesn't have to be better than the other, they can each have their own merits.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Seeing how In Your Dreams didn't go anywhere near Gold (just over 150,000 copies sold, right?), I'd have to think 7,500 pressings of 24K on vinyl would be a big mistake. I'm thinking the vinyl run will be much smaller than that- perhaps 500-1000 copies.

I've gotten 2 of those things as gifts now- the first lasted about a year after very limited use. I got the second one for my birthday this year- we'll see how long it lasts.
No, I think it was 300,000 in US, 500,000 worldwide
Old 09-12-2014, 07:19 PM
welcomechris
This message has been deleted by welcomechris.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Registered

I made a combination of all the snippets and put it on YouTube

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post

Jamie
I agree. The snippets can be misleading. I remember in 2001 when we got a short preview of "Trouble in Shangri-La," a lot of people weren't initially impressed. But when we heard the whole song, it turned out to be one of the standouts.