The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sheryl Crow is joining Fleetwood Mac!!!

Sheryl Crow to Join Fleetwood Mac
Posted Mar 13th 2008 11:55PM by Steve Baltin
Filed under: News, Exclusive

Move over Stevie: Sheryl Crow is planning to join Fleetwood Mac.
"We definitely have plans for collaborating in the future, and we'll see what happens," Crow tells Spinner. As to when fans might hear those collaborations, she says, "I think that's going to be next year."

And what songs would she ideally like to perform onstage with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham? "I'd love to do 'The Chain' and 'Second Hand News,'" she says. "There's so many great songs that I absolutely love, and just to get to sing harmonies on them is going to be a thrill."

For Crow, who is just beginning to tour in support of her recently released 'Detours' album, the opportunity to join the legendary group (and fill the shoes of Christine McVie, who retired from touring in 1998), is a chance to work with her close friend Nicks. Perhaps more important, it will help keep the band alive, as Nicks had previously gone on record as saying she was unwilling to carry on Fleetwood Mac without McVie, who had been one of the constants of the often-evolving group since she joined in the early '70s.

According to Crow, Nicks has been a major influence in her life as an artist. "I love people that are not jaded or de-sensitized and that are still really into what they're doing and into growing as an artist, and that's her," Crow says. "She'd walk out and stand at the microphone, and I swear I was looking at a 20-year-old, because she just exudes this kind of sensual love for music."

Sheryl Crow's AOL Sessions performance, during which she broke the Fleetwood Mac news, will premiere April 11.

http://www.spinner.com/2008/03/13/sh...fleetwood-mac/
Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Registered

Oh. My. God.

Oh. My. God.

Oh. My. God.

Oh. My. God.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wow. I wonder if this is what Mick had to do to get Stevie to go on tour again. Better still, has anyone told Lindsey?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Wow. I wonder if this is what Mick had to do to get Stevie to go on tour again. Better still, has anyone told Lindsey?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Deja Vu or do I recall this same rumour just before the SYW tour...
Old 03-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, it was a rumor at the time of SYW, but none of the principles ever discussed it like this. This seems like something a lot more concrete than 2003.

Chili mentioned it a few days ago and now this . . .

I'm sure this is exactly what Mick was talking about earlier as being very exciting news about FM. Even during the UTS tour, Lindsey mentioned that they might double bill with someone. And now, I wonder if it was Stevie's plan all along as well. When she said she didn't like touring without Christine, she knew that Christine would never tour again, so was she only saying that to lay the groundwork for Sheryl and make Lindsey accept the idea that he had to agree that Sheryl would join the band, if he wanted to tour at all?

You know, I was hoping that some members of the band would gang up on the others, but this is not exactly what I had planned. I wanted the 3 guys to go to England and . . . I'm not happy with the shift of balance and leveraging power Sheryl's presence will cause in band interactions.

Still, in one sense this is good news because it increases the chance that we definitely WILL see FM next year. I do dread having to merge Crow's songs into the FM setlist. Let her come on first, sing her stuff and then return to the stage with FM and sing ONLY FM songs.

I always laughed at that old interview where Stevie said that John and Mick loved Sheryl and added that Lindsey really liked her a lot too. It just seemed amusing to me that she did make the distinction between Lindsey liking her and the others LOVING her.

Boy, this idea has me both excited happy and excited distressed at the same time.

What are the odds that we can get some new music if Sheryl is in the mix? Sheryl is not at the stage where she wants to sit around and play 30 year old songs for two hours, so maybe her presence there will force a new album or at least 3 new songs (one from each songwriter). In that sense, Lindsey will have won a little too.

Wow, if this happens, Sheryl's inclusion would bring a shift of balance that I really feel disadvantages my team in the end, but better this than no FM at all.

So much to ponder.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Ha ha ha.

Stevie: "Sheryl's just our friend, you know. Really, if Sheryl hadn't been our friend she would never have played on this record. She got to come in and play some keyboards because we love her and she's a sweetheart. And you know, who knows... if she shows up at the back door at one or our shows... "Lindsey, pleeeease, can I just come up and stand on the stage?"... he might let her."

Personally I think this news is crap.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure that I share the excitement. I like Sheryl Crow doing her thing, and I like Fleetwood Mac doing their thing. I really don't want the two things combined. I mean, it is going to change the whole dynamics of the band! The sound might even be different. Is the Mac going to be singing Sheryl Crow songs? I have a lot of questions. I'm sure this is related to the hub-bub that Stevie wasn't going to tour without Christine. Well, this isn't Christine. It is another female, but it isn't Christine. I hope that the band has thought this through.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM
joe

I need a little more info on all this. When I first saw the headline on my Netscape homepage I immediately thought, "Stevie's out and Sheryl's taking her place...That's NOT going to work...so that's what Mick was hinting at?" So, I guess I was a little off but still need more details.

I had to read the story over again...it says they "have plans for collaborating in the future." I don't know. Collaborating says to me that she isn't joining as a full time member and that it's more along the lines of her involvement with Stevie for the TISL album/tour.

Last edited by joe; 03-14-2008 at 07:55 AM..
Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
I'm not sure that I share the excitement. I like Sheryl Crow doing her thing, and I like Fleetwood Mac doing their thing. I really don't want the two things combined. I mean, it is going to change the whole dynamics of the band! The sound might even be different. Is the Mac going to be singing Sheryl Crow songs? I have a lot of questions. I'm sure this is related to the hub-bub that Stevie wasn't going to tour without Christine. Well, this isn't Christine. It is another female, but it isn't Christine. I hope that the band has thought this through.
Of course it will change the dynamic. But why assume that will make it suck? It could be amazing.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny thread.

1. Fleetwood Mac stopped being a REAL band after “Tusk.” Since then, it’s been something they’ve penciled in to do every few years. So, adding Sheryl Crowe is really no big deal.

2. Considering her last big hit was only a few years ago, I hardly think the Dave Mason comparison is valid. And, unlike the "Time" band (which I thought was a great band), this band will have two vocalists from the "Rumours" album. If anything, it's more like "Behind The Mask."

3. This move, depending on what actually happens, may be a blessing for Lindsey. It takes pressure off of him. He will no longer be the sole person able to make something out of Stevie’s very basic songs.

4. I like the fact that somebody with a more dynamic upper vocal range is coming into the fold.

5. I love her pop sensibilities.

6. If nothing else, she'll bring something that's not Stevie or Lindsey into Fleetwood Mac, and after that last tour, I'm positive is not a bad thing. I thought it should have happened in 2003, to be honest.

7. I have to say I always thought Sheryl would do a killer version of "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love." If it only brings that song back, I'd be happy.

8. I’m all for it if it means I get to see John McVie play at least once more.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-14-2008 at 05:19 PM..
Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Funny thread.

2. Considering her last big hit was only a few years ago, I hardly think the Dave Mason comparison is valid. And, unlike the "Time" band (which I thought was a great band), this band will have two vocalists from the "Rumours" album. If anything, it's more like "Behind The Mask."
I wasn't comparing her to Time. I was addressing Matt's argument that Sheryl wasn't chosen because of instinct and intuition, like everyone else was. I don't think Dave Mason was chosen because Mick's instinct and intuition told him Mason would be a good fit for FM either.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Funny thread.

1. Fleetwood Mac stopped being a REAL band after “Tusk.” Since then, it’s been something they’ve penciled in to do every few years. So, adding Sheryl Crowe is really no big deal.

3. This move, depending on what actually happens, may be a blessing for Lindsey. It takes pressure off of him. He will no longer be the sole person able to make something out of Stevie’s very basic songs.

4. I like the fact that somebody with a more dynamic upper vocal range is coming into the fold.

5. I love her pop sensibilities.

6. If nothing else, she'll bring something that's not Stevie or Lindsey into Fleetwood Mac, and after that last tour, I'm positive is not a bad thing. I thought it should have happened in 2003, to be honest.

7. I have to say I always thought Sheryl would do a killer version of "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love." If it only brings that song back, I'd be happy.

- I Agree with absolutly everything you just said.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

- interesting thought... but a muppet could sing that song and it would still be brilliant.

- last fm show, i made a john mcvie poster. lindsey asked, "what about me??" and john blew me a kiss. :P