The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Will you vote Democratic?
Yes, I'll vote for Obama 27 49.09%
No, I'll vote for McCain 13 23.64%
Only, If Hillary is on the ticket 6 10.91%
I dont know yet 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
That would be just between me and my SD card! Get with the digital program; you're showing your age!
Not half as much as the sagging in what ever medium you chose

Excause me, now I have to go be an elitist and arrogant American

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
uh lets' see maybe way back in 2004?
.....I think both Kerry and Edwards had a number of attributes that the current Democratic slate don't.............. and I think it is generally more difficult for the democratic party to win (as in the case with Labour in Britain) and more so against a man who has already served one term.

Quote:
..........of perhaps the absolute worst President in American history I look forward to the day in January when I can say with some hope and expectation words that would have been unthinkable to utter since January of 2001 ..HE IS MY PRESIDENT.
I personally don't think he's the worst but he is indeed a flawed man. It is time that a woman or black/ethnic person was elected so for different reasons to you maybe, I will be pleased if Obama wins the election.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
. . . I will be pleased if Obama wins the election.
I will too - though I think he is very flawed. McCain, however, is more flawed in ideology.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I will too - though I think he is very flawed. McCain, however, is more flawed in ideology.
Do you think Obambi would be a more effective commander of the military?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The latest rumor spreading around the internets (note: source unknown/unverified):

Quote:
The Michelle Obama Rant Tape was filmed between June 26th - July 1st 2004 in Chicago, IL at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition Conference at Trinity United Church: specifically the Women’s Event.

Michelle Obama appeared as a panelist alongside Mrs. Khadijah Farrakhan and Mrs. James Meeks.

Bill Clinton spoke during the Conference, as did Bill Cosby and other speakers, but not at the panel Michelle attended.

Michelle Obama spoke at the Women’s Event, but referenced Bill Clinton in her rant — his presence at the conference was the impetus for her raving, it seems.

For about 30 minutes, Michelle Obama launched into a rant about the evils of America, and how America is to blame for the problems of Africa. Michelle personally blamed President Clinton for the deaths of millions of Africans and said America is responsible for the genocide of the Tutsis and other ethnic groups. She then launched into an attack on “whitey”, and talked about solutions to black on black crime in the realm of diverting those actions onto white America. Her rant was fueled by the crowd: they reacted strongly to what she said, so she got more passionate and enraged, and that’s when she completely loses it and says things that have made the mouths drop of everyone who’s seen this.

The “tape” is a DVD that Trinity United sold on its website, and possibly offered free for download up until March 2008 when Trinity’s site was scrubbed and the DVDs were no longer offered for sale.

This outburst happened just one month before the 2004 Democratic Convention, when Barack Obama delivered the keynote address.
Draw your own conclusions. I'm afraid there's no more room for Michelle under Obama's bus.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course I'll vote for Senator Obama. And so will an overwhelming majority of Democrats and Independents.
You can mull over the slogans, his skin color, Rev. Wright, his time as editor of the Harvard Law Review, his "bitter" sound byte all you want; but come election day every voter that's a true Democrat will have a few core issues on his or her mind:

1. THE SUPREME COURT APPOINTEES. IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY THAT 2 WILL BE MADE DURING THE NEXT 8 YEARS. IF YOU VOTE FOR McCAIN, YOU ARE BASICALLY CONDONING HIS VIEW THAT WOMEN ARE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "ROE vs. WADE IS NOT IMPORTANT TO ME".
2. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH'S WAR IN IRAQ.
3. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH'S ARCHAIC ECONOMIC POLICY.
4. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH'S ARCHAIC ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY.
5. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH'S ISOLATIONIST POLICY THAT DISREGARDS ANY KIND OF POLICY THAT ENCOURAGES A POSITIVE VIEW OF THE U.S. FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES.
6. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH'S ARCHAIC ATTITUDE THAT EDUCATION AND INTELLECTUALISM ARE TO BE LOOKED DOWN UPON".

All this talk among Hillary supporters about not supporting Obama is ridiculous and Clinton herlself would be the first to agree with me on this.

p.s. the Michelle Obama tape is completely false. She would never use the word or phrase "whitey". Step out of your West Virginia mindsets and open your eyes.

And one more thought: was last night the first time a candidate in 2nd place did not concede after the front runner reached enough delegates to become the nominee?
I thought it was pretty tactless and showed a real character flaw in Clinton. Does she ever reach a point when it is no longer Me Me Me Me?

Last edited by dontlookdown; 06-04-2008 at 03:18 PM..
Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I say America is the undisputed leader of the world because that is a fact.
Americans know how to grill a Porterhouse steak outdoors on the grill. Aussies do, too. But Europeans have it all wrong.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I'm convinced McCain will pick Romney, Jindal, or Lieberman.
What about Mordechai Eliyahu?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
. . . Step out of your West Virginia mindsets and open your eyes.
Elitist

Quote:
. . . Does she ever reach a point when it is no longer Me Me Me Me?
Well, when you likely have the popular vote or at least tens of millions of votes in a close election, you weigh your options. Also, Obama said he was fine with it

IMO - she will bow out once Obama pays her debt. Then, she will come out like gangbusters for him as she did last night and vice versa. I also still maintain that she would be a helluva running mate.

As for the tape - I doubt it exists because if it did and was solf publicly, it would have surfaced by now.

Finally, it is not just talk or speculation. Many people are vehemently stating it I hope they change their minds because McCain is not what I think we need and Obama is the closest thing to that.

As for the Commander in Chief position -- I think the Pres. rarely acts alone and the generals in charge pretty much call the shots.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 06-04-2008 at 03:52 PM..
Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Americans know how to grill a Porterhouse steak outdoors on the grill. Aussies do, too. But Europeans have it all wrong.

don't get saucy with me bernaise

Also - I love Aussie beef!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course I'll vote for Senator Obama. And so will an overwhelming majority of Democrats and Independents.
The latest polls I've heard give Obama only a slight advantage in terms of the Indies.

Quote:
You can mull over the slogans, his skin color, Rev. Wright, his time as editor of the Harvard Law Review, his "bitter" sound byte all you want; but come election day every voter that's a true Democrat will have a few core issues on his or her mind:
So how do you define a "true Democrat?" Someone who blindly votes down the ticket regardless of what is handed in front of yo u?

Quote:
1. THE SUPREME COURT APPOINTEES. IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY THAT 2 WILL BE MADE DURING THE NEXT 8 YEARS. IF YOU VOTE FOR McCAIN, YOU ARE BASICALLY CONDONING HIS VIEW THAT WOMEN ARE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "ROE vs. WADE IS NOT IMPORTANT TO ME".
Fearmonger much? Any Supreme nomination has to be vetted through congress. It's doubtful that any right wing nutso will pass muster through a congress that has a heavy Democratic majority. You also make the assumption that McCain is going to be in there for 8 years. I don't think he will make it that long... one way or another.

Quote:

4. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH'S ARCHAIC ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY.
That's utter bullsh*t, and you know it. He has been with the Dems on many environmental issues.

Quote:
All this talk among Hillary supporters about not supporting Obama is ridiculous and Clinton herlself would be the first to agree with me on this.
She is playing the happy party gal now, but I know that deep inside she is utterly disgusted by what has become of the Democrats. Ridiculous or not, people with eyes and ears can see the blatant displays of race baiting, fear mongering, overt sexism, misogyny and media bias displayed by Obama's campaign, the DNC and the media. These are the people who refuse to reward this kind of uncivility.

Quote:
p.s. the Michelle Obama tape is completely false. She would never use the word or phrase "whitey". Step out of your West Virginia mindsets and open your eyes.

Quote:
And one more thought: was last night the first time a candidate in 2nd place did not concede after the front runner reached enough delegates to become the nominee?
Ted Kennedy was behind by several hundred delegates in 1980, but he never conceded and took it to the convention. Of course he lost, but he was praised for standing for his beliefs and being a fighter. FDR was nominated at the convention as well. There are other examples I am probably not remembering...

Quote:
I thought it was pretty tactless and showed a real character flaw in Clinton. Does she ever reach a point when it is no longer Me Me Me Me?
I think it is pretty tactless for people to exhort her to drop out even though the nomination vote does not officially occur until the August convention. And in a race this close, the tide can swing rapidly in either direction, and the superdelegates have the right to change their minds until the convention. The fact is, no matter how you tabulate it, Hillary won the popular vote and was bamboozled out of delegates by the May 31 RBC results. There has never been a race this close in the history of primary elections, yet the media would have you believe that Obama won in a landslide, which is untrue because a) he technically hasn't won and b) he won more pledged delegates, but she won more votes. I believe that Hillary supporters are today every bit as upset as Gore supporters in 2000. And even to this day Gore is still getting grief for conceding the election.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Also - I love Aussie beef!
I knew you were a Hugh Jackman fan.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hillary's Soviet-style popular vote count conveniently doesn't include caucus states - which is absurd.
I know of plenty of people in Colorado (some of whom voted for Hillary) and voting was a big deal for them.
I'm sure they would feel just as disenfranchised knowing their votes don't count in Hillary's mind as do the people that thought they would not have an official say in Michigan and Florida.
And just the idea that Hillary is OK with the Michigan votes going toward her "popular vote count" when Obama wasn't on the ballot, is yet another indication of her flawed character and the poor parenting she got as a kid.
There are no rules for the Clintons when they're not the winners.

I know we've been dumbed down as a country for the last 8 years, but I hold my elected officials to a higher standard.

Last edited by dontlookdown; 06-04-2008 at 05:52 PM..
Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . I know we've been dumbed down as a country for the last 8 years . . . .
I wouldn't extend that logic to the country

Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . And just the idea that Hillary is OK with the Michigan votes going toward her "popular vote count" when Obama wasn't on the ballot, is yet another indication of her flawed character and the poor parenting she got as a kid . . . .
Actually, Hillary was pushing for Michigan to revote with Obama on the ticket - he refused, likely because he knew he'd lose Ditto with Florida. So much for every vote counts, not to mention pissing off two huge electoral states that often swing elections.