The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Who would EVER imagine that an obscure Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) poem has been further squeezed by one very maniacal Lindsey Buckingham in 2008? If there was any remaining attar in that rose, Lindsey wrung it out. If the English departments ever get a chance to hear this song, they'll love it!

Today we are going to discuss Emily Dickinson's Gift Of Screws!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Who would EVER imagine that an obscure Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) poem has been further squeezed by one very maniacal Lindsey Buckingham in 2008?
Next up Lindsey, think Jane Austen.

Michele
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've been listening to Gift Of Screws since Tuesday. I honestly can't put it above either Out Of The Cradle (my favorite Lindsey solo album) or Under The Skin for that matter. I like it, but maybe it needs to grow on me a little more. When I first heard Did You Miss Me, I loved it and still do. I think the chorus to Love Runs Deeper is one of the best things on the album. My favorite song is The Right Place To Fade and I wish he'd have that in the setlist over, maybe Gift Of Screws (but I enjoy Gift Of Screws). I think the guitar playing on Time Precious Time is awesome and even more awesome live, but the chorus is a bit repititious. I do like Underground, great melody, and the more I hear Treason, the more I'm liking it. It may be too new for me and I do like the album, but Out Of The Cradle still makes my heart skip a beat! (Not that I should be comparing albums...)
Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
- I don't get what you all see in Did You Miss Me. It's my second least favorite song next to Treason. I just think its very blah and generic. Better then half of UTS but still blah.
I feel the EXACT same way! I felt almost guilty for not loving "Did You Miss Me" after all the praise it got when first released, but I STILL can't get into it too much. It falls in the exact same place for me, right ahead of the exact same song. And again, still like it more than a good number of songs on UTS.

My fave on the album at this point is "Great Day". Just loving everything about it.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
If the English departments ever get a chance to hear this song, they'll love it!
I don't know, Tango, I don't know.

Incidentally, much of "Right Place To Fade" (which I still really really really want to call "Twist of Fate") is written in rather perfect iambic pentameter.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
My fave on the album at this point is "Great Day". Just loving everything about it.
I know right?. It's an incredible song, and it makes him sound so musically fresh. I really think DYMM is a perfect pop song in every sense, but that doesn't mean it's my favorite. I love the sound, but too perfect gets on my nerves. Unless its Out of the Cradle.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 09-18-2008 at 10:08 PM..
Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah View Post
I don't know, Tango, I don't know.

Incidentally, much of "Right Place To Fade" (which I still really really really want to call "Twist of Fate") is written in rather perfect iambic pentameter.
C'mon professor; admit it. You love it!

Michele, I like how you think!

Come on lurkers. What do YOU think of this album?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default The Lindsey album I always wanted

This is the most Mac-like solo album, but at the same time distinctly Lindsey. The Lindseyness is in the quirky lyrics, which have none of Mac's mythic elements: houses on hills, the blowing wind, the night etc. Lindsey is a hook-meister, and here he does what he does best - forges original, layered hooks. "Gift of Screws" is awesome. The cd has at least three obvious singles other than the first one. L & O was troubled by the clicks and whirrs and OC was good, but a little contrived. US seemed to lack fully-written songs some of the time; I know it was meant as a spontaneous cd. GS is just perfect.

My opinion. Now... I hope it sells a few copies.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel the EXACT same way! I felt almost guilty for not loving "Did You Miss Me" after all the praise it got when first released,
DYMM is quite commercial I think. It's not fluffy to me, because it conveys a certain yearning that I think is anything but superficial. But I do think it is poppy and for that reason alone, I'm not surprised at all that it doesn't thrill everyone. It might be a little too light for me to expect it to get overwhelming acclaim.

Michele
Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel the EXACT same way! I felt almost guilty for not loving "Did You Miss Me" after all the praise it got when first released, but I STILL can't get into it too much. It falls in the exact same place for me, right ahead of the exact same song. And again, still like it more than a good number of songs on UTS.

If you reread my post, thats the song I said is my favorite too. We have the two best tastes in music on the entire board for sure

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
lol

my gut reaction (subject to change) is that this is the most satisfying Lindsey solo album.
I'd have to agree- often I have to listen to any new album
a few times to appreciate it, this one I just love, every single song right from the first play- I loved UMS, but I really love GOS, maybe it is because I have a screw loose~
Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been thinking more about Time Precious Time and while I don't LOVE it, I've been trying to put it in some sort of context. I listened to it this morning in the car all the way through. I was supposing this song could be a sort of "memorial." Those who have lost loved ones, as Lindsey has lost his parents, his brother and others in his life he has cared greatly about, those could be the precious times referenced.

You can bring anything you want to music when you listen to it, just as Lindsey does when he writes it. One could argue the song might reference his brother Greg with the water and flowing references. (And one could be totally wrong!) If we ever lost a member of Fleetwood Mac Time Precious Time would certainly serve as an appropriate tribute. As much as they all "disagree," and have disparaged each other over the years, in the end, the feeling remains: it's "time precious time" to each of them.

While I am still impatient with the song, I do appreciate the sounds Lindsey can get out of a guitar. One would expect that sound out of a harp, but he's created that sound by hand on a guitar! As I said to a friend, "can YOU do that?" I respect the song and what he created. Just don't expect me to play it EVERY TIME I listen to the album!

While it is pathetic that so many people won't ever hear this album for all the politicial reasons in the music business, for whatever keeps so much music from being heard, I'm seriously pleased.

To the left, to the right, up & down, in & out . . . and around. That's right baby!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forshorn View Post
L & O was troubled by the clicks and whirrs
Clicks & whirrs??

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Clicks & whirrs??
Chicks and whores? So, that's what Lindsey meant in Bel Air Rain.

Michele
Old 09-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've been thinking more about Time Precious Time and while I don't LOVE it, I've been trying to put it in some sort of context. I listened to it this morning in the car all the way through. I was supposing this song could be a sort of "memorial." Those who have lost loved ones, as Lindsey has lost his parents, his brother and others in his life he has cared greatly about, those could be the precious times referenced.

You can bring anything you want to music when you listen to it, just as Lindsey does when he writes it. One could argue the song might reference his brother Greg with the water and flowing references. (And one could be totally wrong!) If we ever lost a member of Fleetwood Mac Time Precious Time would certainly serve as an appropriate tribute. As much as they all "disagree," and have disparaged each other over the years, in the end, the feeling remains: it's "time precious time" to each of them.

While I am still impatient with the song, I do appreciate the sounds Lindsey can get out of a guitar. One would expect that sound out of a harp, but he's created that sound by hand on a guitar! As I said to a friend, "can YOU do that?" I respect the song and what he created. Just don't expect me to play it EVERY TIME I listen to the album!

While it is pathetic that so many people won't ever hear this album for all the politicial reasons in the music business, for whatever keeps so much music from being heard, I'm seriously pleased.

To the left, to the right, up & down, in & out . . . and around. That's right baby!

I don't mean to sound morbid but you know what is strange, and correct me if I'm wrong, but every person who has ever been a member of Fleetwood Mac is still alive?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.