The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Registered

If we could only convince Lindsey to switch out Come for Wait For You... I was really hoping to see that song live.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't happy having Come and ISA in the same setlist during the SYW tour and I'm not happy about it now. I wish he'd pick one or the other. The audience gets into Come later on in the song when the intensity builds up, but it's slow start doesn't help the set momentum.

I forgot to say that when Lindsey introduced Neale that he said, as usual, that he's known Neale since those big bad Malibu days when they were all hurting themselves. He added, "It's a good thing I can't remember that."

When he introduced Brett and discussed Brett's accomplishments, Neale added that Brett makes all of his own dresses. Lindsey repeated that accolade and said, "I didn't see that one coming."

He introduced Wally as the "groovin Cuban" and said the UTS tour really picked up when they added Wally. I'm sure Taku is glad to hear that from his perch in Bette Midler's band.

There were moments during Shut Us Down when Lindsey made the audience titter by playing guitar with one hand.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-08-2008 at 06:50 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

i bought a plane ticket to tulsa for THAT set list? ugh...

with fleetwood mac touring next year, why couldn't he have omitted shn, ngba, world turning, tusk, ikinw, and dare i say it, even gyow in favor of SOLO material since this is a SOLO tour...i believe the words on rockline were 'drastically re-tooled the set'...uh, not exactly...this isn't much different than the last tour with the exception of GOS songs replacing UTS songs...why no right place to fade? why no wait for you? why no down on rodeo? ONE song from out of the cradle? and i'd rather hear save me a place than big love yet again...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Ledgie

I had a feeling Holiday Road was out after re-listing to GOS (song). The chance for him to make crazy, erotic, howling noises in GOS replaces the need for it in Holiday Road.

Come/So Afraid = should not be in the setlist together. They occupy nearly 15 minutes of show. Selectively, yo ucan fit about 4 other songs in that space.

Kept, UTS but not Castaway or It Was You... eh...

I'm so stoked for hearing Go Insane and him doing the mimicked backup vocals on himself... It was slighlty a bit overkill with the slow Insane and Big Love in the set. They both have that same flavor.

I bet there's a tweak or two before I see the show in Indy, if last tour was any indication... i.e. - Turn It On, Shut Us Down, etc. Plus the one-time appearance of Bwana.

Just b/c he loves a challenge, he should go for something that was all studio, nearly impossible to replicate live... Play in the Rain, or something of that nature...
Old 09-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Having not heard the leaked GOS songs, I can't say how I feel about the set other than THANKTHEHEAVENS there are recognizable songs I can groove too for my shows...I admit to nightmares of every song being from GOS before the album is even officially released. Not being sure whether a reaction of swoon, scream, bounce, dance, wail, faint or sob is appropriate can be frightening...
Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved hearing the new songs last night. Great Day reminded me of something from Go Insane and Love Runs Deeper sounded great. I thought Did You Miss Me was the most boring of the new songs played.

I kept hoping for more OOTC and Lindsey solo songs and was a little bummed by all the FM songs. I know he needs to do a few and GYOW gets everybody on their feet but they were the same FM songs as usual. He could have done some different songs from Tusk or I would have loved Tango in the Night.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some recognition needs to be done:

JustCrazyLove - Thanks for the Set List. I know it's not easy, remembering all of those titles. I was trying to keep track of the Bob Seger set list back in 2007. You wanna hear the songs and yet you gotta keep focused, and write in the dark.... That was a lot of songs in LB's set list.

Michelej1 - Thank you for the running commentary. I am amazed that you had the guts to yell at him that the CD isn't out yet. ( ) I love impromptu stuff where he trades comments back and forth with the audience.

You brought some good insight about the songs which were chosen. I was ready to be disappointed, and then you told me why I should like the set list. Thanks. Also, thanks for the description of the T-shirts. (A photo from the waist down?) Did they have any autographed CD's or keychains or cheesy stuff....stuff, that I would really need and HAVE to buy?

Golden Braid - Like you, I would love to hear Tango the Night, but I suppose he has to play to the masses (or play what is familiar to the masses.)

I wonder if he'll be in the mood to do "requests" like he did last time? (At least little snippets of songs....like Johnny Stew.)

Come on Denver -- Sept. 24!

Last edited by Betsy; 09-08-2008 at 10:06 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Niki,

With no offense to UTS (I miss Show You How being in the setlist), it is MUCH easier to dance, bounce, wail, faint and indulge any other kinds of emotional excess in response to these new songs than it was to, um, Castaway Dreams.

You know, he starts the show off talking about a wet girl hiding in his room. He hates to hover, but he has to love her. That's a pretty nice beginning.
He ends by saying that it was not such a great day after all, but it got me thinking it was going to be a great night.

I'm not really into Shut Us Down. I'd like to see that gone. Save it for FM and sing it to Stevie, in place of Say Goodbye.

Zzagar, I think that by doing Go Insane with a band, it is distinguished from Big Love. It made me hope that he would do Big Love with a band, especially when he started the intro to Big Love saying it had been through many incarnations. I thought he meant he was going to revert back to one of his old incarnations.

Troubling note: When Lindsey introduced Big Love and said he wrote it during his last year with FM (during his first stint with the band), he did not say he left as a survival move. I found the omission very alarming and wanted to run up on the stage and take his temperature.

Betsy, and you know I really didn't YELL either. So, I was somewhat surprised that Lindsey heard me. I was annoyed by the album not being out, but it has nothing to do with him really. Poor devil. He made me laugh when he said that he didn't see anyone around shooting videos of his Did You Miss Me song. I guess if he hadn't done the home made videos for UTS, he wouldn't have any at all. If that guy wants videos, I'm mad at WB for not giving them to him.

Yes, I WAS surprised about the picture of him ascending the stairs on the t-shirt, but it was the first thing that caught my eye. I think there were about 4 different shirts. I have to say -- you can't tell much from the waist down -- but it wasn't like he was going up the stairs with alacrity. His jacket is drooping, his hand is hanging by his side. I think an active person takes the stairs with their arms raised a bit -- in a racer's stance. I wish his body looked a little more energetic tackling those stairs , but I think it's still a cool picture. I'd like to wear that on the FRONT of my shirt really.

There were autographed Bass Hall cds. I didn't see any key chains.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-08-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Ledgie

Also...

WHY HASN'T ANYONE FREAKED OUT ABOUT A LACK OF RIGHT PLACE TO FADE???????
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You have to remember that some people like to just watch Lindsey play guitar. I'm the same with Richard Thompson. I'm disappointed if I don't get Shoot Out The Lights and one of his epic guitar workouts like Hard On Me or Can't Win. I don't really like Come all that much, but Lindsey does beat the crap out of the guitar on it which is always exciting.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Michele -- you didn't *yell*? And he still heard you? He DOES have good hearing. I used to watch Bee Gee's concerts and they always had the ear plug things in. He doesn't wear them on stage, does he?

Important information needed --

Does he use a guitar pick on any songs? Does he toss the pick into the audience?
Does he perform any songs just by himself, or is it the whole band on everything?

I'm iwth zzagar...Right Time to Fade...where art thou in the set list?
Ditto with I Will Wait for You...

Maybe the songs are too old and he likes his *new* stuff.

Last edited by Betsy; 09-08-2008 at 12:21 PM..
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok first impressions...Do we really need come and I Know Im Not Wrong again? I am really worn out on those two. Im guessing he wanted to do a song from SYW and that was the one we got, which I am not too thrilled about.

Even though its one song, Im so glad hes doing Don't Look Down. Just something to represent that album...its always appreciated.

I am really excited for the new songs. Ive heard Love Runs Deeper, Did You Miss Me, and some parts of Treason and I know I am already in love with both of these.

I am glad hes doing Shut us Down again...to me that is one of the best off UTS. Sorry Michele, Show You How just bores me to tears.

I am completely baffled that he is not doing Holiday Road. That may be his most famous song next to Go Your Own Way. Everybody and their mother knows Holiday Road.

Now everyone promise me youre gunna yell out the Right Place to Fade at your concerts because this needs to be added.

Thank you Michele and justcrazylove for reporting back to us. Now some questions....

How was the audience? Did they stand for the rockers??
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
With no offense to UTS (I miss Show You How being in the setlist), it is MUCH easier to dance, bounce, wail, faint and indulge any other kinds of emotional excess in response to these new songs than it was to, um, Castaway Dreams.
right, but with the UTS tour I knew prettymuch what I would be hearing. From the majority of reports, seems peeps are prettywell pleased with GOS, so I imagine I will be as well.

Lindsey has bionic ears...he heard/responded to my low purr from 4th row.

Telling, his ears went cauliflower at Grove last year when Kirsten growled spitfire "That was your son!" in response to Lindsey missing Williams' "I Love you Daddy." HMMM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Betsy,

He used the pick for UTS and he did throw it into the audience. He also threw his towel into the audience and the same person who got the pick got the towel.

Lindsey does have some sort of gray ear things in his ears during the show.

Jimmy, before the show started, the security person told us if we stood, we should stand right in front of our seats and not approach the stage. Some people protested that Lindsey LIKES for us to approach the stage and play his guitar during GYOW. The security person said they were the venue's rules and she didn't want us at the stage, but she conceded that if Lindsey asked us to play his guitar, we should do it.

I don't like to stand anyway, so I didn't. The people around me did. Livia tried to test them before the show asking the people in back of her, "If I stand up, you aren't going to yell at me to sit down are you?" The guy never really gave her a straight answer. So, I got the impression he didn't really want her to stand. Still, several enthusiastic people timed their stand up dancing together, figuring that if a bunch of them did it, no one could get too upset. That seemed to work and towards the end of the show, most people were on their feet.

I think it was an enthusiastic crowd. Michele
Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm pretty pleased with this setlist, but I'm also excited that I'm seeing him toward the end of the tour (second to last weekend and last show) so that all the little unnecessaries or omissions can have a chance to work themselves out. The only song I'm really sad not to see is "Wait for You", so I hope that gets thrown in. Other than that, I'm going to be seeing the dude in person for the first time after 11 years, so I'm not feeling too picky.