The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Someone mentioned how great it would be to have a little acoustic set, something I've always felt could work really well and show off the harmonies between Lindsey, Christine and Stevie again. They could perhaps perform four tracks like Honey Hi, Save Me a Place, Crystal and Landslide, maybe even throw a surprise in there and perform Twisted.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
Someone mentioned how great it would be to have a little acoustic set, something I've always felt could work really well and show off the harmonies between Lindsey, Christine and Stevie again. They could perhaps perform four tracks like Honey Hi, Save Me a Place, Crystal and Landslide, maybe even throw a surprise in there and perform Twisted.
I wonder if Oh Daddy counts as acoustic. Anyone know who saw it performed back in 1997? I've only seen the video on YouTube and it's hard to tell. I definitely feel this song will be performed, based on what Christine said recently and the overall sentiment with which the band seems to regard it.

Imagine Hold Me or something completely unexpected for an acoustic version. Like Gypsy back at the Phoenix tribute, which came completely unannounced? People would go crazy, should a new version appear of Little Lies (maybe Anna Ternheim inspired?) that the band is happy with. Crystal was always one I never understood why they don't play. It's a really nice song and seems to be largely forgotten for the same old standards. Put that one in an acoustic set and move Landslide to encore status, where it belongs at the very end.

I feel a more upbeat song works better for an opener....so I'm not in favor of Say You Love Me if they play it like they did for The Dance. I love this 2004 version of Tusk, with a cymbal opening and then those driving drum beats (might be the fastest they've played it). Would be a killer first song played this way and not slow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajh-mwr8tHA
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I feel a more upbeat song works better for an opener....
I agree. I think you should start off with a bang and transmit the kind of energy the band will be generating for much of the next two hours.

When Lindsey started his solo sets off with a slow song, it put the crowd in a more contemplative mood and maybe made them attentive from the get go, quiet enough to hear a pin drop. And that's fine if you're going to be doing mostly acoustic songs, but if you're going to rock out ... set the tone from the opening number and let the slow songs be a breather, rather than a trendsetter.

Michele
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If it's going to be a Christine hit I would love "You Make Loving Fun", it's funky and fun and higher energy than "Over My Head" or "Say You Love Me", which I always think makes for a nice break between angstier songs. While I'm not very fond of "Hold Me" or "Everywhere" I have to admit that they'd probably work well to reintroduce her. I like "Think About Me" better than either of those two songs though.

My favorite idea in this thread so far is "Station Man" though.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think YMLF would be a great opener, because the crowd would love it, Lindsey and Christine really get into it and, selfishly, I am not thrilled with it, so I don't mind being distracted by the initial furor while the song is being performed.

I wouldn't want a song I love to be swallowed up in the opening clamor.

Michele
Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think YMLF would be a great opener, because the crowd would love it, Lindsey and Christine really get into it and, selfishly, I am not thrilled with it, so I don't mind being distracted by the initial furor while the song is being performed.

I wouldn't want a song I love to be swallowed up in the opening clamor.

Michele
Basically for me, "The Chain", which always gets 'swallowed'. 'Love in Store' or 'Everywhere' would be a great opening option too, but will not happen.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Though it is far from my favourite FM song, I think 'Love In Store' would make a great opener with Lindsey's guitar and Mick's drums beginning followed by Christine's vocals and John's bass followed by Stevie's harmonies. A really great opener I think.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Though it is far from my favourite FM song, I think 'Love In Store' would make a great opener with Lindsey's guitar and Mick's drums beginning followed by Christine's vocals and John's bass followed by Stevie's harmonies. A really great opener I think.
I can get behind Love in Store. Those real soft harmonies, the prologue to a magical night, "never take your love awayyyy."

Michele
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you guys really think this would make for a great opener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qx1I0sqQfk ??

This was how they last played Say You Love Me.

Yes, but they should do it more like this

Old 07-10-2014, 07:07 PM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From recent tours, I actually think Monday Morning worked fantastic not only as an opener but it was also a great lead in for The Chain which somehow was a perfect follow up to it. That combination worked better for me than Second Hand News into The Chain.

But I also believe Everywhere would be a perfect opener celebrating Christine's return - to combat the minute or two distracted audience syndrome, they could just lengthen the intro before jumping into the main riff.

For that matter, I also believe Over My Head would work if they did it with the longer intro and in the style of the Rumours Tour version.

I agree if they played Say You Love Me as the opener that they do NOT do that horrid banjo version but do it like the White tour.

As for a possible Stevie opener, I think Seven Wonders would be awesome with those opening chords repeated over and build it louder each time for a minute or 2 before jumping into the song.

Rhiannon would have been a great opener if Stevie could pull off an intense vocal.

Besides Monday Morning, for a Lindsey opener, I do think a studio version of Big Love a la Tango would be killer as well. Similarly, I think Miranda would be great.

Speaking of Say You Will songs, I would hope they do Steal Your Heart Away since that has Christine on the harmonies.

Would also love Say You Will the song.

just my thoughts

Last edited by StevieNicksfann; 07-13-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What do you think of starting the show with "World Turning" and then "Chain"?

I think those flow well together and Christine is featured in the first song. If they do this, I don't want Mick to solo during World Turning!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNicksfann View Post

Speaking of Say You Will songs, I would hope they do Steal Your Heart Away since that has Christine on the harmonies.

Would also love Say You Will the song.

just my thoughts
I agree, it would be great to hear something other than "say goodbye". I have feeling we won't get any Syw songs n the tour. 1 since it was sans Christine and 2 the band doesn't seem to like it. It's sad the tours following the Syw tour the only time we have gotten to hear material from this album is through Lindsey solo shows.

Open with Murrow!!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why has The Chain permanently become the requisite second song in the set list? It's just too predictable; it's been in that slot for decades. And following it with Dreams is a huge a buzz kill. Make it the opener, make it the closer, or second to last, or in the middle of the show. When things becomes too familiar, it just becomes stale and redundant, like a broken record.

I agree with other Ledgies that Monday Morning is a good opener, as would be Say You Will (My long shot choice would be Get Like You Used to Be). I few there are very few Christine songs that would make a good show opener. And, given the unusual circumstances of her return to the band after so many years, putting her out front at the get go of the show immediately squanders the anticipation and excitement. It's like, "here is the return of our old and beloved zoo attraction, so we will waste no time pushing her out front for public consumption."

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-13-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Why has The Chain permanently become the requisite second song in the set list? It's just too predictable; it's been in that slot for decades. And following it with Dreams is a huge a buzz kill.

Make it the opener, make it the closer, or second to last, or in the middle of the show. When things becomes too familiar, it just becomes stale and redundant, like a broken record.

I agree with other Ledgies that Monday Morning is a good opener, as would be Say You Will (My long shot choice would be Get Like You Used to Be).
I don't think Monday Morning or Say You Will quite have enough energy. They're both more middle ground. Second Hand News is fast, plus a guitar solo, and brought so much excitement to the arena last year.

I'm wholly behind moving The Chain. When I made a setlist, I put The Chain as one of the final songs of the concert--it's just fitting to be the final, definitive statement from the band, their last full 5-member song:

Encore 1
Don't Stop
Landslide

Encore 2
The Chain
Songbird
Old 07-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think Monday Morning or Say You Will quite have enough energy. They're both more middle ground. Second Hand News is fast, plus a guitar solo, and brought so much excitement to the arena last year.

I'm wholly behind moving The Chain. When I made a setlist, I put The Chain as one of the final songs of the concert--it's just fitting to be the final, definitive statement from the band, their last full 5-member song:

Encore 1
Don't Stop
Landslide

Encore 2
The Chain
Songbird
I like your encore selections!

There is something to be said for not starting the bar level at 10. Where do you go from there? Sometimes it's good to start in the middle and build up the energy from there. It's not as if Fleetwood Mac has to hype up their audience from the start. A large percent of the audience are already in that state, especially knowing that Christine is on stage.