The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always gotten the impression that John and Lindsey have a typical "co-worker" relationship, or as typical as can be in their profession. I work in a small department and I get along with all of my co-workers, but the majority are not people I would seek to be friends with had we not been placed together by our jobs, nor people that I particularly find it necessary to see beyond the 40 hours of the week I already spend with them. I think John and Lindsey have a similar type of relationship where they can work together relatively peacefully, respect each other, don't mind the other's company but don't actively maintain a relationship outside of work and aren't particularly close friends.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
This would make a LOT of sense. People in America seem so much more friendly than people in the UK. I've heard that in stores over there people talk to eachother and make contact like people actually should (Yes, shock horror, British Public) Over here, we talk very little to eachother and I know for a fact in shops the money is echanged and people do leave without having said hello, thankyou or goodbye. For John being british, I imagine meeting Lindsey before he knew him properly would be really... overwhelming? If that's the right way to put it?
You should try our southern states! I live in Indiana, but spend a lot of time in Tennessee. Even though it's only 300 miles difference, there IS a difference in people greeting people. Down there, strangers greet you on the street. That rarely happens(or at least not to the extent) here at home. So there's "southern hospitality" for you.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
So I think they like each other, but, just have nothing much to talk about, and no particular reason to hang out together.
That's exactly how Rolling Stone described it in 1980.
There isn't much conversation besides what needs to be said to get the job done. It's not that this rehearsal isn't friendly; it's just that these people seem to have evolved beyond camaraderie. They've spent too much time with each other, though lately not so much.

Buckingham, casually passing by Fleetwood, stops to ask him what he did after the record-company party last night.

"We definitely transcended. Ended up jamming with Curry (Grant, the lighting director) till the wee hours. Actually, we were playing one of your songs, from Buckingham Nicks," Fleetwood says, mentioning the album that prompted him to ask Lindsey and Stevie to join the band five years ago.

"Oh, really?" Buckingham says, suddenly interested. "Which song?"

"Uh...I forget the name," says Fleetwood sheepishly.

"Was it 'Don't Let Me Down Again'?"

"Noooo...."

"'Without A Leg To Stand On'?"

"Nooo...well, I'm not sure," Fleetwood answers. "It could've been. Yeah."

They smile politely and Buckingham goes his way, Fleetwood his.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey has said that he used to think John's bass line was too busy, but, once he learned to just accept it, that he also came to appreciate John's playing/skill.
Yes, he talked about the tension of thinking that someone is going to step all over your guitar parts and then they don't and he appreciated the creativity that stemmed from that tension.

I think John and Lindsey would never have picked each other as friends and aren't friends. However, just because they've spent many, many hours crammed up together, like it or not, and gone through the drama of Rumours and its aftermath together, I think they have a familial relationship, the more ingrained because it developed during very formative stages in their lives.

I think when you learn to co-exist with one another, a bond develops. I think it's beyond mere co-worker thing. Maybe a cousin thing, I don't know . . . I'm just thinking I have cousins I haven't spoken to in years, but if I got word that she died tomorrow, it would phase me quite a bit, just because of the reservoir of memories that built up many years ago.

As for Mick, I don't think Lindsey thinks Mick is at all responsible for his success -- not at all. However, I get the feeling that Lindsey's feelings for Mick are quite strong. I think Mick is one of those people he has cared about consistently for decades, even during times when he would rather not have. Deep affection, love, sometimes grudging love.

Michele
Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, he talked about the tension of thinking that someone is going to step all over your guitar parts and then they don't and he appreciated the creativity that stemmed from that tension.

I think John and Lindsey would never have picked each other as friends and aren't friends. However, just because they've spent many, many hours crammed up together, like it or not, and gone through the drama of Rumours and its aftermath together, I think they have a familial relationship, the more ingrained because it developed during very formative stages in their lives.

I think when you learn to co-exist with one another, a bond develops. I think it's beyond mere co-worker thing. Maybe a cousin thing, I don't know . . . I'm just thinking I have cousins I haven't spoken to in years, but if I got word that she died tomorrow, it would phase me quite a bit, just because of the reservoir of memories that built up many years ago.

As for Mick, I don't think Lindsey thinks Mick is at all responsible for his success -- not at all. However, I get the feeling that Lindsey's feelings for Mick are quite strong. I think Mick is one of those people he has cared about consistently for decades, even during times when he would rather not have. Deep affection, love, sometimes grudging love.

Michele
That's a good way to put it, Michele. As for Mick, I just always think of the story I have heard about Mick living in a trailer at the end of Lindsey's garden (or driveway, or whatever) during the recording of TITN, because he had run out of money. It's a definite begrudging friendship, consistently caring for one another in some sort. Lindsey may not have invited Mick to live with him during that time, but he allowed him to stay on his property. (I hope I got that story right, and didn't just imagine it.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippilil86 View Post
I've always wondered more about Mick and Lindsey's relationship, moreso than John and Lindsey. Do you think that Lindsey feels that he partially owes his success to Mick? I've always wondered why they've stayed in touch, even though Mick seems fame/money hungry, and Lindsey seems "dedicated to artistic integrity"
I think Mick and Lindsey are very close, and always have been. They've upset each other a lot at various times, but, I think they take it particularly harder because they care so much about each other.

I love this article, where Mick and John talk about how they met:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...m-1149147.html

After Lindsey left the band I didn't see him for years. To be quite blunt, we grew apart. Then we both reached out to each other two years ago. I wrote to him around the time me and John broke the band up. I was very much at a loose end, when Lindsey asked me to play on his solo album. Initially I thought it would just be two weeks in the studio as two players, two guys. It turned out to be over a year.

That was the beginning of a whole new relationship for me and Lindsey. We'd go out and have meals and talk about things that'd worried him in the past. I love his ability to be terrifyingly truthful. It's a great attribute, but he needs to be careful with it. And his intensity makes me nervous. In the past I would get devastated by it. Meeting up again was good stuff, and it continues to be good stuff: I think he loves me, I feel he has respect for me, and in a friendly way he knows I'm a bit of an old rascal.

Will we be friends in 10 years time? Absolutely. One hundred per cent. If we never played another note together, the relationship would still be there.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I think Mick and Lindsey are very close, and always have been. They've upset each other a lot at various times, but, I think they take it particularly harder because they care so much about each other.

I love this article, where Mick and Lindsey talk about how they met:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...m-1149147.html

After Lindsey left the band I didn't see him for years. To be quite blunt, we grew apart. Then we both reached out to each other two years ago. I wrote to him around the time me and John broke the band up. I was very much at a loose end, when Lindsey asked me to play on his solo album. Initially I thought it would just be two weeks in the studio as two players, two guys. It turned out to be over a year.

That was the beginning of a whole new relationship for me and Lindsey. We'd go out and have meals and talk about things that'd worried him in the past. I love his ability to be terrifyingly truthful. It's a great attribute, but he needs to be careful with it. And his intensity makes me nervous. In the past I would get devastated by it. Meeting up again was good stuff, and it continues to be good stuff: I think he loves me, I feel he has respect for me, and in a friendly way he knows I'm a bit of an old rascal.

Will we be friends in 10 years time? Absolutely. One hundred per cent. If we never played another note together, the relationship would still be there.
I like this quote from Mick about Stevie and Lindsey: "Lindsey and Stevie are always gonna be an item of sorts, though, they have an unsquashable alliance whether they like it or not."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Well, on the Unleashed Tour Lindsey would go over to John on Rhiannon and sort of jam for a bit before the chorus kicked back in.

Also, another thing that comes to my mind, on the SYW documentary, Lindsey gets emotional talking about the band getting back together and i remember a quote "and seeing John".
"and seeing John" That's so sweet!

Typical John and Lindsey near the end...at about 3:50:

How cute are they??