The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

Sands of Time is one of my very favorite FM songs.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Danny was destined to be a lost boy..maybe too sensitive for this world. God rest his soul.
. . . definitely too sensitive for the shark tank of the music biz - as is peter, and lots of others, too . . . and who wants to blame them?!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Very sad.
It seems there is nothing but bad news with the Mac lately. A total change from just a few years ago when everything was rosy with Christine coming back.
You will be missed Danny. Glad you got your Rock N roll hall of fame induction. You were such a key member in the early years.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP Danny. You will always hold a special place in the hearts of those who loved the early Fleetwood Mac.

I think a listen through a few of Danny's songs might be in order tomorrow.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very sad. Danny might be the most underrated and overlooked member of the band. He was a prodigy and had so much talent. I know it's inevitable but seeing members of my favorite band pass away is heartbreaking. Bob Brunning, Bob Weston, Bob Welch and now Danny. And Billy has been having health issues the past few years.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Only just heard this. What sad news. What a fine guitarist. Thanks for everything Danny.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Late to this one, well, i heard the news whilst away on holiday abroad. Returned home to England today. Woke up early Saturday morning and swore out loud at the news on my phone. So sad to hear.

Sadly too sensitive for the music business of that time, like many others. A huge talent. Its rubbish news to hear he has passed.

R.I.P. Danny. So much respect for you and your talent. Good to see the love out there for your work, just wished you realised what you wrote/played has touched so many.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Junior Ledgie

So much talent and so young, no one could forsee the pressures when he joined the band. They were too onerous even for Peter who was only in his early 20s. Awful responsibility for someone so young, it's a pity that the joy he gave others could not help his self worth. RIP Danny.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm very sad. Really sad with the news. Danny was one of my favourite members of the early years, and his work in Bare Trees, my favourite album of that era, will be always well remembered.
Of course that in Second Chapter he left the FM roots and made more "pop" music, but with a very fine quality.
RIP Danny, now I know you will play with Bob Welch in the Sunny Side of Heaven...
Old 06-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Has anyone seen any further info on what happened to him? I know that he battled alcoholism, but none of the articles I've read, even the few that offer more details about him, his situation and his legacy, have given a cause of death or anything about the circumstances.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't posted here for many years but thought this might be something to add here.

Danny died in his sleep from complications of pneumonia. He had been battling it from earlier this year but couldn't beat it unfortunately. He was cremated and his ashes returned to his family.

He was only 68 although many of those later years were quite hard and Danny did battle with alcohol as has been documented. He spent a number of those later years in and out of hostels in the Soho district of London, ironically very close to Denmark Street and the heart of London's music history where the band played many early gigs.

I have my views on Danny and the way he was treated by the band before he was thrown out but this isn't the time or place for that.

Let me just say he was a magical talent and in many ways he and Peter Green were two parts of the same jigsaw. Their playing was magical and Danny was a very gifted songwriter and singer as well as a guitarist. Tragic he went the way that he did. Hopefully he will be at peace now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SUbloyGsgw

Thank you.

Last edited by madformac; 06-13-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Old 06-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
I haven't posted here for many years but thought this might be something to add here.

Danny died in his sleep from complications of pneumonia. He had been battling it from earlier this year but couldn't beat it unfortunately. He was cremated and his ashes returned to his family.

He was only 68 although many of those later years were quite hard and Danny did battle with alcohol as has been documented. He spent a number of those later years in and out of hostels in the Soho district of London, ironically very close to Denmark Street and the heart of London's music history where the band played many early gigs.

I have my views on Danny and the way he was treated by the band before he was thrown out but this isn't the time or place for that.

Let me just say he was a magical talent and in many ways he and Peter Green were two parts of the same jigsaw. Their playing was magical and Danny was a very gifted songwriter and singer as well as a guitarist. Tragic he went the way that he did. Hopefully he will be at peace now.

Thank you.

Many thanks for the update. Good to hear he still had some family contacts (whether he was actually in contact with them or not) and its reassuring to know he passed away in his sleep. Cheers.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-13-2018, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I haven't posted here for many years but thought this might be something to add here.[...]...
Thanks for letting us know. I regularly play songs penned by Peter Green and Danny Kirwan, and feel I owe them a lot. It was a very sad moment when I got to know about Danny, may he rest in peace.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SUbloyGsgw

Thank you.
I've been wondering what took him. Thanks for the information. Poor Danny. RIP.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Rest In Peace, Danny Kirwan. Kirwan/Perfect/McVie and Kirwan/Welch/McVie are some of my most favorite tunes and eras...

Woman of 1000 Years always takes me to a beautiful place. It's one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs. Just a superb piece of music and recording.

I'll never forget the first time I heard that beautiful guitar strum and your delicate voice open Future Games as I watch the record go round and round...

Cheers, mate!