User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Rhiannon movie project – let’s be realistic

Stevie was talking recently about brainstorming with her friends to make the Rhiannon movie project a reality. Hate to say it, but it’s just not very realistic.

I gather Stevie imagines it as Lord of the Rings type epic, but the truth is that The Mabinogion is a bunch of obscure myths few people know. At least the Lord of the Rings, using that as an example, had a devoted following before it was made into the movies and then introduced to the general public. I can’t imagine a producer willing to front big $$$ to make Rhiannon a movie. And I don't think Stevie has the clout to create interest in it.

Also, the real Rhiannon myth, if done literally, is a little weird story-wise (meaning how she’s punished – read on). From what I remember, Rhiannon comes from a fairy world, marries a mortal king, and has a baby with him but it gets kidnapped. Rhiannon is accused of the crime She has to stand by the castle gate and offer to carry people up to the palace on her back! Later they do find the baby, and Rhiannon is exonerated. Stevie and gang will have to do some major rewriting of the tale.

The only time it could have gotten made was about 30 years ago when some production company actually offered Stevie (at the height of her fame then) to do it, though it didn’t work out in the end. I think it was Danny Goldberg who mentioned this in his book. Wonder how it would’ve tuned out. Something good like John Boorman’s ‘Excalibur’, or something really awful?

Maybe Stevie ought to consider a TV project instead. There was a fantasy miniseries about Merlin not too long ago, and also, The Mists of Avalon.

Roland