Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Rolling Stone's review of VBoFM

Just thought I'd give you the link of Rolling Stone's review of the VBoFM. Not too bad, 4 stars!
Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...sp?aid=2045314

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 11-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A star here and a star there

Funny little discrepancy - the print magazine has the same review, but with five stars instead of four.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Funny little discrepancy - the print magazine has the same review, but with five stars instead of four.
That's funny, I noticed the same with TISL. I just recently saw the review on the website and it gave the album 4 stars, but I remember the print magazine gave it either a 3 or 3 and a half(at least I think so).

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 11-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Maybe the guy who codes the site takes a bit of license to give his own opinion! lol

Ugh, AGAIN with 'Lindsay' Buckingham. I'm sorry but my opinion is that anyone who writes 'Lindsay Buckingham' should not be allowed to make any sort of criticism of his contributions on the VBOFM, without understanding the greater, broader role he played throughout the collection, and thus the significance of a piece like Go Insane (live) which is something of a tribute, or an aching expression of the true spirit he has put on the backburner for this band for so many years.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow.. it is amazing that Rolling Stone actually gave Fleetwood Mac an okay review. I am so used to reading the reviews of some of my favorite artists and having Rolling Stone trashing them. My only thing is... they mentioned that one of the flaws was that the first eight years of Fleetwood Mac were not included in this set. If they are promoting the Rumours-era lineup in this collection.. why would they include the first eight years? I understand that there was more to Fleetwood Mac back then, but this collection was to get the public ready for the new Rumours-era lineup album... just my opinion.

Michelle

~long live the queen... under the skin~
Old 11-08-2002, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
but this collection was to get the public ready for the new Rumours-era lineup album

But, this new album is NOT the "Rumours-era lineup"...Christine's no longer in the band...this is technically a NEW incarnation of the band.

And, technically, The VBoFM has POST-"Rumours" era incarnation's material, too...so why omit tha PRE-"Rumours" era?

I can see their point.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree. I'm tired of hearing that the new album will be the Rumours line up. Unless Christine is on it,its not. I'm sure she will be credited with vocals. They may use some of the stuff from the GOS sessions.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

But, this new album is NOT the "Rumours-era lineup"...Christine's no longer in the band...this is technically a NEW incarnation of the band.

And, technically, The VBoFM has POST-"Rumours" era incarnation's material, too...so why omit tha PRE-"Rumours" era?

I can see their point.
Okay.. I see your point. The new album will indeed be a new incarnation of the band...and yes, there is also Post-Rumours era material on there. Maybe, and this is just my opinion, they just wanted to pinpoint from a specific time period. I could be wrong. Isn't there a collection already out there with the Pre-Rumours stuff on it? I just thought that they were releasing this collection now with those specific members because even though Christine won't be on the new album, the remaining four will be and it would be good promotion for them.

Michelle

Old 11-09-2002, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well I dare to be controversial and express how I rationalise these things:

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Bob Welch's Fleetwood Mac
Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac
2003 - a new Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac album

Christine always endeavoured to remain in the background in the scheme of things. As with all else she did in the band, she was succesful in this, and thus although 'Rumours lineup' is no doubt a misnomer, I think Chris would agree that 1975-1987/1997+ is Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac.

Mega Stevie fans please don't read into this an argument about Stevie v Lindsey importace cause that's obviously far from the point.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Well I dare to be controversial and express how I rationalise these things:

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Bob Welch's Fleetwood Mac
Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac
2003 - a new Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac album

Christine always endeavoured to remain in the background in the scheme of things. As with all else she did in the band, she was succesful in this, and thus although 'Rumours lineup' is no doubt a misnomer, I think Chris would agree that 1975-1987/1997+ is Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac.

Mega Stevie fans please don't read into this an argument about Stevie v Lindsey importace cause that's obviously far from the point.
I agree with you perfectly! Well put!

Old 11-09-2002, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up I third that!!

In most bands, the lead singer and guitar player are THE focal point. Since Lindsey is a lead singer AND guitar player, he is kinda the leader. Also, he produces for the group..giving him MORE power.

Stevie may be the most popular and most loved, but IMO, Lindsey is the leader of FM.

*Disclaimer: No offense to fans of John, Mick, Christine, Stevie, Peter, Jeremy, Danny, Bob Welch, Bob Weston, Bob Brunning, Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, Billy Burnette, Dave Mason and Dave Walker. Whew!!
Old 11-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: I third that!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
In most bands, the lead singer and guitar player are THE focal point. Since Lindsey is a lead singer AND guitar player, he is kinda the leader. Also, he produces for the group..giving him MORE power.

Stevie may be the most popular and most loved, but IMO, Lindsey is the leader of FM.

I also agree with this....

I really think that Lindsey is what gives the band that distinct "Rumours" line-up sound. And I think that the new album will have this sound too... because of Lindsey. He has so much to do with what goes on and the whole process.

Don't get me wrong... I love Chris, always will, and I wish she was still in the band... but that's another issue.

Kate
Old 11-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by rhiannon1119
Isn't there a collection already out there with the Pre-Rumours stuff on it?
Michelle, there are DOZENS of different compilations that feature the Peter Green-era... which is exactly why I wasn't the least bit disappointed that they didn't include any material from that time period on this collection.

Many people groused about having yet another CD with "Rhiannon" and "Go Your Own Way," etc., but frankly I wouldn't have been all that keen on having "Albatross" for the 18th time.

Yes, Christine is no longer in Fleetwood Mac, so the upcoming album does not exactly feature "the Rumours lineup," but it *does* feature four-fifths of it... and that's exactly why Warner Bros. would want to focus their promotion on the Rumours era band members, and their contributions to Fleetwood Mac's catalog.
(As for the post-Rumours tracks on 'VBoFM'... once again, you still have four-fifths of that lineup on these tracks too, so it makes sense that they'd be included.)

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Johnny Stew
Old 11-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: I third that!!

Quote:
Originally posted by silversprings8
I really think that Lindsey is what gives the band that distinct "Rumours" line-up sound.
I think that I agree with this post. That music-boxy sound with strongly separated instruments & retro vocal harmonies & strange patches of air & almost subliminal textural fills -- which you can trace through "Rumours" & "Tusk" & "Mirage" & "Tango" -- comes right from Mr. Buckingham. That's essentially his vision & his technique that manufactures that vision.

For better or worse, what you hear musically when you hear those albums is Lindsey's handiwork. Also, I think he was the one who kept the band from devolving into something so mainstream that it would have verged on blandness. Lindsey made the band a critical darling, a pet of the rock press. I'm certainly grateful to him for that, if nothing else.

Of course, there are other important elements, like good lyrics or tasteful, eccentric musicianship or even the look of the band, that he has no more to do with than the other members do.

Speaking of lyrics, if you like bad poetry, you must check out the Bad Poetry Index at:

http://unix.cc.wmich.edu/~cooneys/poems/bad/

Poetry that reeks is one of my hobbies! You'll laugh yourself teary-eyed on this Web site.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Michelle, there are DOZENS of different compilations that feature the Peter Green-era... which is exactly why I wasn't the least bit disappointed that they didn't include any material from that time period on this collection.

Many people groused about having yet another CD with "Rhiannon" and "Go Your Own Way," etc., but frankly I wouldn't have been all that keen on having "Albatross" for the 18th time.

Yes, Christine is no longer in Fleetwood Mac, so the upcoming album does not exactly feature "the Rumours lineup," but it *does* feature four-fifths of it... and that's exactly why Warner Bros. would want to focus their promotion on the Rumours era band members, and their contributions to Fleetwood Mac's catalog.
(As for the post-Rumours tracks on 'VBoFM'... once again, you still have four-fifths of that lineup on these tracks too, so it makes sense that they'd be included.)

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Johnny Stew
Thanks Johnny Stew.. that is exactly what I was trying to say in my original post! I agree with you.

Michelle