The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:57 PM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
She does sound good on those collaborations, but IMO she sounded heinous on 24K Gold, with a few exceptions. Where as I thought she sounded great on In Your Dreams. If she were to do another 24K Gold, I really think she should just have the old demos remastered and then maybe add 2 brand new songs rather than re-recording the old stuff.
I think I agree with this idea. I couldn't get into 24K and I think it was because of her voice and the production. A number of songs sounded alike to me. I would love to hear more unreleased songs, like on her Enchanted set- Reconsider Me is a perfect example.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:55 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I think I agree with this idea. I couldn't get into 24K and I think it was because of her voice and the production. A number of songs sounded alike to me. I would love to hear more unreleased songs, like on her Enchanted set- Reconsider Me is a perfect example.
24KG was recorded in a really short amount of time and you could tell if you ask me plus the fact that they were trying to make the songs sound as close to the demos as possible which I think wasn't a good idea since there's a big difference between a demo and a completed track and her voice sounded so different then. I think those two things together was the main issue with that album. I also think the EP suffered from that same problem.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 AM
TheWildHeart67's Avatar
TheWildHeart67 TheWildHeart67 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
24KG was recorded in a really short amount of time and you could tell if you ask me plus the fact that they were trying to make the songs sound as close to the demos as possible which I think wasn't a good idea since there's a big difference between a demo and a completed track and her voice sounded so different then. I think those two things together was the main issue with that album. I also think the EP suffered from that same problem.
But many, like myself, don't find her vocals a problem on 24KG. This not just coming from a Fan's perspective. Many reviews of the album by music critics published rave reviews for the album. I feel the quick production of the album worked in it's favor. The title track is now one of my all-time favorite songs from her. I adore how the song begins with that bass guitar riff, then the drums coming on, followed by the full band coming in. Her vocals sound awesome in the song, as well, IMO. I also LOVE how "Belle Fleur" takes a full minute before the first vocals come in. I really love the album.
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/jump.gif border=0 alt= title=jump class=inlineimg />
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Feather Blade Feather Blade is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
But many, like myself, don't find her vocals a problem on 24KG. This not just coming from a Fan's perspective. Many reviews of the album by music critics published rave reviews for the album. I feel the quick production of the album worked in it's favor. The title track is now one of my all-time favorite songs from her. I adore how the song begins with that bass guitar riff, then the drums coming on, followed by the full band coming in. Her vocals sound awesome in the song, as well, IMO. I also LOVE how "Belle Fleur" takes a full minute before the first vocals come in. I really love the album.
I love the title track as well! I would love to hear another solo effort from her, though I imagine she will be busy with FM for the foreseeable future. My thoughts on someone's suggestion above to just remaster the original demos rather than record new ones is that I'd rather not see that from a living artist. If someone can still perform, I prefer that they do. Save old performances for if someone is gone and that's all we have available. Ideally, I'd like to hear some brand new songs from her. I'm curious about the My Mother's Rings song for example.

Last edited by Feather Blade : 07-25-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-25-2018, 09:24 AM
mitzo's Avatar
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,399
Default

Agree with the 24KG fans here for sure. The album has weak spots, they all do. But the great thing about it, in contrast to eg. TISL or IYD, is that it is all Stevie all the time, really, no cowrites trying too hard to be radio hits, no covers, just a blast of her unique perspectives and genius. Plus it has more than one juicy ballad, my favourite genre from her always. They really suit her current vocal abilities.

If she did a sequel I would grab it instantly. I hope she does.
__________________
Think of me sweet darling, every time you don't come...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-25-2018, 08:31 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
But many, like myself, don't find her vocals a problem on 24KG. This not just coming from a Fan's perspective. Many reviews of the album by music critics published rave reviews for the album. I feel the quick production of the album worked in it's favor. The title track is now one of my all-time favorite songs from her. I adore how the song begins with that bass guitar riff, then the drums coming on, followed by the full band coming in. Her vocals sound awesome in the song, as well, IMO. I also LOVE how "Belle Fleur" takes a full minute before the first vocals come in. I really love the album.
And there are also many, as the thread's discussion shows, who do think her vocals weren't at their finest on the album and that's what my post was referring to .
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 PM
JohnL JohnL is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 662
Default

I personally hope she does put out a solo album or a string of strong singles...but I hope it is after the FM tour and at least the release of a few songs from this new line up. I want to hear what they sound like in the studio. I think it will be AMAZING!!
__________________
Love is a word and some entertain it...if you find it...you have won the game baby
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Feather Blade Feather Blade is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I personally hope she does put out a solo album or a string of strong singles...but I hope it is after the FM tour and at least the release of a few songs from this new line up. I want to hear what they sound like in the studio. I think it will be AMAZING!!
I second this. New music from the band would be great!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Nick Nick is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 212
Default

Totally agree. I need to hear Stevie and Christine together again on new songs!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-30-2018, 12:07 PM
tabruns tabruns is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,009
Default

I thought Nicks has said that she wants to do "Songs From the Vault Vol. 2"?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:59 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
She was great on many 24KG tracks and tired and strained on others, probably due to the compressed recording schedule. I love the album anyway and would heartily welcome a sequel. No old demo releases for me thanks.
Sometimes she puts down a classic studio vocal and it doesn't really catch on. It's Only Love was one. Her modern singer laurels could rest on that.
__________________
The Filmic I: Movie Notes
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-31-2018, 08:18 PM
mitzo's Avatar
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,399
Default

Stevie really benefitted from working with Dave Stewart, he got her recording and creating again. Sadly, the word is that she was angry at his memoirs and so the relationship is over. This means she has nobody to work with on any new material.
__________________
Think of me sweet darling, every time you don't come...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-31-2018, 11:52 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Stevie really benefitted from working with Dave Stewart, he got her recording and creating again. Sadly, the word is that she was angry at his memoirs and so the relationship is over. This means she has nobody to work with on any new material.
I could've sworn I read something where he said Stevie was okay with him sharing about the past they had.
Either way I don't think she's 'mad' at him about that or anything particular but I do think that he's pretty much done with because that's just usually how it is with Stevie and her producers-- for whatever reason they just don't last. I also think (but this is just my own speculation) that she was pretty upset over what she likely took as poor sales for IYD and especially 24KG and maybe later on internally placed some blame on him for it? Especially after 24KG, she might've been thinking to herself how that was her second album in a row with him and it's sold even worse. She also wasn't very happy about the rushed recording process.

For me personally I won't really miss it, even though Stevie obviously did enjoy recording with him very much at the time, I just never really cared for a lot of his production on her songs. To me it was quite generic. But that might just be me, I haven't liked much of the production on most of Stevie's solo work in a long, long time.

Last edited by dreamsunwind : 07-31-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 AM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
But many, like myself, don't find her vocals a problem on 24KG. This not just coming from a Fan's perspective. Many reviews of the album by music critics published rave reviews for the album. I feel the quick production of the album worked in it's favor. The title track is now one of my all-time favorite songs from her. I adore how the song begins with that bass guitar riff, then the drums coming on, followed by the full band coming in. Her vocals sound awesome in the song, as well, IMO. I also LOVE how "Belle Fleur" takes a full minute before the first vocals come in. I really love the album.
I love the intro to Belle Fluer too. And who would’ve ever thought of adding a banjo?! Good one.

I also thought All The Beautiful Worlds sounded remarkably like an 80s vocal.

I really did not care for the redo of If You Were My Love though. Among other things, I think the “my hands reach for numbers” line should have stayed in. I found it delightfully old fashioned.

Did anyone else find the addition of the Lady Antebellum guy on Blue Water a little weird? I really thought she didn’t like him very much after all of his goofiness on Crossroads... Plus, I think she ruined one of her best ballads - Blue Water was always to me a meditation on loneliness. It sucks the sadness out to put some weird blues background vocal and drums on it... Maybe it’s a Nashville thing though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-01-2018, 05:43 AM
mitzo's Avatar
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I could've sworn I read something where he said Stevie was okay with him sharing about the past they had.
Either way I don't think she's 'mad' at him about that or anything particular but I do think that he's pretty much done with because that's just usually how it is with Stevie and her producers-- for whatever reason they just don't last. I also think (but this is just my own speculation) that she was pretty upset over what she likely took as poor sales for IYD and especially 24KG and maybe later on internally placed some blame on him for it? Especially after 24KG, she might've been thinking to herself how that was her second album in a row with him and it's sold even worse. She also wasn't very happy about the rushed recording process.

For me personally I won't really miss it, even though Stevie obviously did enjoy recording with him very much at the time, I just never really cared for a lot of his production on her songs. To me it was quite generic. But that might just be me, I haven't liked much of the production on most of Stevie's solo work in a long, long time.
Her fixation on sales is really sad and frustrating. I would think that someone with her huge stash of songs would want to get them out there regardless.
__________________
Think of me sweet darling, every time you don't come...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

FLEETWOOD MAC personally signed 45 - CHRISTINE McVIE
$213.38
FLEETWOOD MAC personally signed 45 - CHRISTINE McVIE pictureFLEETWOOD MAC personally signed Greatest hits LP cover - CHRISTINE McVIE
$96.01
FLEETWOOD MAC personally signed Greatest hits LP cover - CHRISTINE McVIE pictureChristine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old /Warner Brothers
$49.0
Christine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old /Warner Brothers pictureCHRISTINE MCVIE Fleetwood Mac SOLO ALBUM LP Rare SEALED 8 TRACK Tape MINT
$24.99
CHRISTINE MCVIE Fleetwood Mac SOLO ALBUM LP Rare SEALED 8 TRACK Tape MINT pictureFLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE LINDSEY GRAMMY AWARD POSTER
$24.99
FLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE LINDSEY GRAMMY AWARD POSTER picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved