The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
BlackWidow's Avatar
BlackWidow BlackWidow is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.
Posts: 7,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I'm sorry for your loss, but that isn't what we are laughing at, at all. Not even close. We are laughing at the absurdity of Stevie pics in unexpected places. It's a visually visceral response, in no way related to the actual tragedy.
BUT - People who are effected cannot seperate the two and should not be expected to...
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
BlackWidow's Avatar
BlackWidow BlackWidow is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.
Posts: 7,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
You know what ? Of course I am sorry for what you went through. We've all been through tragedies. I could choke a goat with stories of the devastation I've been through as well. Most people can. Everyone has a different way of dealing with their emotions, and everyone has a different sense of humor. I can't say anyone else's way with either is right or wrong. And it isn't at all unusual for you to displace your rage and sadness about your experiences and project it onto the creator of an internet graphic or, for that matter, at me. It's easier than finding the people responsible for your initial trauma. So fire away. My own **** has left me pretty much bulletproof.
The grief and anger life gives us can be enormous. And what you choose to do with yours is your business entirely. Like all of us, I hope you work through yours and find some kind of peace with it.
A little compasion works miracles...
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
BTFLCHLD's Avatar
BTFLCHLD BTFLCHLD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I have to admit, so far it is a bit funnier with a disaster in the back.
OK. How about a disaster waiting to happen?


Someone, save Stevie!!!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
amber's Avatar
amber amber is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!
Posts: 23,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
BUT - People who are effected cannot seperate the two and should not be expected to...
Ah, that is a relevant point that I was thinking of. I may agree that understanding is in order when someone cannot separate the two, or doesn't find it funny. That is fine. However, I do think that logically, they can be separated. Largely because I think that everyone knows that no one would ever be laughing at an actual tragedy that occurred.
I do understand that maybe some people are not ready to laugh. But it doesn't necessarily follow that the people who do laugh are remiss. So for people who are not ready to laugh to upbraid the people who do laugh is not so much logical as a knee jerk reaction to pain. Which is fine, totally understandable, but not necessarily a logical reaction. Again because obviously none of us are laughing at the actual tragedy.
I totally see that some people won't find the pics funny, and that is fine. I just hope those people understand that it is not the tragedies we are laughing at. Not to speak for everyone, but I am sure that no one who laughed at the pics in any way diminish the tragedies. So I just want them to know that.
And I do understand that some people might be a little more sensitive to the pictures, and the laughing. So I hope they find comfort in the fact that we are only laughing at the absurdity of super fun lovely Stevie being interspersed with disaster scenes, not at the disaster itself. I would call it the "buggs bunny" reaction - the picture is so funny you can't help but laugh.

And I feel confident that anyone who does not find the pictures funny (perfectly within their rights) would still know that anyone who laughs at them does not do so out of malice or joy at whatever disaster is pictured. I think we all know that to the person, we detest needless violence and destruction.
I don't want anyone's feelings to be hurt, but I also don't not want to laugh at some super funny creative schnizz.

I think the best part right now is that some people who did not think it was funny expressed how they felt, and now we know. So, we are all free to go on from there. We have all viewpoints to draw from. I now know that some of these pics may offend someone, and take it into account, and those offended now know that no one is finding laughter in that which was painful for them, but only from absurd, abstract, silly pictures, and can go on from there.

And that means that we understand other points of view, and can or do not change our behavior accordingly, pursuant to our choice with the evidence presented! Score!

I gotta say, I feel a bottomless pit of sorrow for those affected by 9-11, or Hitler, or the Hindenburg, or our gross environmental negligence. And I still laugh at these photos. And, I don't expect everyone to find them funny, and that is perfectly fine. But it won't make me think these photos are wrong. I think they're lovely, and creative, and brilliant. And it's fine if someone else does not think so, or can't emotionally think so.
__________________
"Do not be afraid! I am Esteban de la Sexface!"
"In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom.
It is not always an easy sacrifice"

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber : 08-07-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 PM
BTFLCHLD's Avatar
BTFLCHLD BTFLCHLD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
And that means that we understand other points of view, and can or do not change our behavior accordingly, pursuant to our choice with the evidence presented! Score!
Good point. Thanks for expressing your views. By posting my opinion on the photographs there was no intention for anyone to feel "bad" about what they are free as they wish to like or dislike so I am not sure where that is coming from with a few people. I stated in 20 words or less that they were offensive to me, that I do not find humor in them and that I do not get that some would. Simple as that. I have heard varying reasons why the humor is found, but I didn't need the explanation nor do I recall asking for one. As evidenced below, I am more than ready to move-on from the topic of laugh-out-loud vs offense. For a girl in graphics...it's the chittyist graphic I have ever done.

Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Angel69 Angel69 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
You know what ? Of course I am sorry for what you went through. We've all been through tragedies. I could choke a goat with stories of the devastation I've been through as well. Most people can. Everyone has a different way of dealing with their emotions, and everyone has a different sense of humor. I can't say anyone else's way with either is right or wrong. And it isn't at all unusual for you to displace your rage and sadness about your experiences and project it onto the creator of an internet graphic or, for that matter, at me. It's easier than finding the people responsible for your initial trauma. So fire away. My own **** has left me pretty much bulletproof.
The grief and anger life gives us can be enormous. And what you choose to do with yours is your business entirely. Like all of us, I hope you work through yours and find some kind of peace with it.
Im perfectly aware of life's tragedies. However we are talking about one single event that annihilated thousands. People were in those buildings dying from suffocation, jumping out windows, making phone calls to loved ones, wondering just what the **** was happening. And then as we all know the buildings just collapsed, while millions of people watched. And my city watched and waited in horror of what might happen next. Who's displacing rage towards you? I asked you to think. I did not attack you personally.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:01 PM
sparky's Avatar
sparky sparky is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sharon's shack
Posts: 4,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber


I'm just usually so verbose and convoluted that it seems precise.
Cool.

So i was trying to pronounce Kashuishia...kah-shoo-ee-shee-uh?
Kah-shwee-shee-a

And no, actually, you have come off with some great statements lately. Almost legalese.

Sure you can be rambling, which is a great part of your charm, but you have honed your skill at summation.
__________________
========================================

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
amber's Avatar
amber amber is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!
Posts: 23,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
Good point. Thanks for expressing your views. By posting my opinion on the photographs there was no intention for anyone to feel "bad" about what they are free as they wish to like or dislike so I am not sure where that is coming from with a few people. I stated in 20 words or less that they were offensive to me, that I do not find humor in them and that I do not get that some would. Simple as that. I have heard varying reasons why the humor is found, but I didn't need the explanation nor do I recall asking for one. As evidenced below, I am more than ready to move-on from the topic of laugh-out-loud vs offense. For a girl in graphics...it's the chittyist graphic I have ever done.

You know, doll, I totally got that your opinion wasn't to make anyone feel bad. You just said, "I don't like it, and I respect anyone who thinks it is funny" In my estimation.
But of course you know an explanation would ensue, this being the wonderful Ledge and all.

IMO, people think things are funny, or they don't, in all subjects on the Ledge. I'm glad you guys said you didn't - and it's no big. I don't think everything people do is funny - and I don't always expect others to think what I think is funny, funny.
I'm not sure I said that "respect only those who think it is funny" thing.
I mean, that doesn't sound like me. I may have said "I only like people who think this is funny" - but I don't think I even said that - so...........
uh....
__________________
"Do not be afraid! I am Esteban de la Sexface!"
"In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom.
It is not always an easy sacrifice"

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 PM
sparky's Avatar
sparky sparky is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sharon's shack
Posts: 4,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69
Im perfectly aware of life's tragedies. However we are talking about one single event that annihilated thousands. People were in those buildings dying from suffocation, jumping out windows, making phone calls to loved ones, wondering just what the **** was happening. And then as we all know the buildings just collapsed, while millions of people watched. And my city watched and waited in horror of what might happen next. Who's displacing rage towards you? I asked you to think. I did not attack you personally.
I wasn't taking about 9/11 at all, till you brought it up. No one was. And I am well aware of all the details of it, thank you very much. Why do you assume I know nothing about it and was not impacted by it ?
Actually, yeah, you did ask me to...picture something. You did that after quoting me, and you did it in what came off to me as an accusatory, angry, and utterly sarcastic tone. So, yeah it was personal. Was it an attack ? I didn't say it was an attack. It sure was a release of some pointed aggression though. And it was directed at me. I'll eat my boots if you weren't pissed off writing that. And since it was directed at me, how could you say it wasn't personal and keep a straight face ? Just curious.
__________________
========================================

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 PM
amber's Avatar
amber amber is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!
Posts: 23,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
Kah-shwee-shee-a

And no, actually, you have come off with some great statements lately. Almost legalese.

Sure you can be rambling, which is a great part of your charm, but you have honed your skill at summation.
Actually, my summation skills are prime, I only developed convoluted skills for people who can't come right to the point. People who's ass I wish I could kick!

That's how you pronounce it?!?!? You are soooo African. I can't believe Mr. Oregon sparky is schooling. -
Kahschweesheeyaa! Kahschweesheeaaaaah!
I am Kaschweesheeah! Bitaccttchhhaaahhh!

This is so unfair given the fact that your name is DaShwan, or some facsimile. don't make me Blue Lamp your ass! I have to take a class to figure out the name you gave me??? Oh,that's right, feel the wrath - gahhhdiannnAaangelll...gaaahhhdian....if youwuhwizushyouwouldgetooouttt...oooo...yeah....oooooo...yeahhh...

I'll have to invoke the "Guaaahhhrdian Aaaangelllll" exemption.
__________________
"Do not be afraid! I am Esteban de la Sexface!"
"In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom.
It is not always an easy sacrifice"

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber : 08-07-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Angel69 Angel69 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Ah, that is a relevant point that I was thinking of. I may agree that understanding is in order when someone cannot separate the two, or doesn't find it funny. That is fine. However, I do think that logically, they can be separated. Largely because I think that everyone knows that no one would ever be laughing at an actual tragedy that occurred.
I do understand that maybe some people are not ready to laugh. But it doesn't necessarily follow that the people who do laugh are remiss. So for people who are not ready to laugh to upbraid the people who do laugh is not so much logical as a knee jerk reaction to pain. Which is fine, totally understandable, but not necessarily a logical reaction. Again because obviously none of us are laughing at the actual tragedy.
I totally see that some people won't find the pics funny, and that is fine. I just hope those people understand that it is not the tragedies we are laughing at. Not to speak for everyone, but I am sure that no one who laughed at the pics in any way diminish the tragedies. So I just want them to know that.
And I do understand that some people might be a little more sensitive to the pictures, and the laughing. So I hope they find comfort in the fact that we are only laughing at the absurdity of super fun lovely Stevie being interspersed with disaster scenes, not at the disaster itself. I would call it the "buggs bunny" reaction - the picture is so funny you can't help but laugh.

And I feel confident that anyone who does not find the pictures funny (perfectly within their rights) would still know that anyone who laughs at them does not do so out of malice or joy at whatever disaster is pictured. I think we all know that to the person, we detest needless violence and destruction.
I don't want anyone's feelings to be hurt, but I also don't not want to laugh at some super funny creative schnizz.

I think the best part right now is that some people who did not think it was funny expressed how they felt, and now we know. So, we are all free to go on from there. We have all viewpoints to draw from. I now know that some of these pics may offend someone, and take it into account, and those offended now know that no one is finding laughter in that which was painful for them, but only from absurd, abstract, silly pictures, and can go on from there.

And that means that we understand other points of view, and can or do not change our behavior accordingly, pursuant to our choice with the evidence presented! Score!

I gotta say, I feel a bottomless pit of sorrow for those affected by 9-11, or Hitler, or the Hindenburg, or our gross environmental negligence. And I still laugh at these photos. And, I don't expect everyone to find them funny, and that is perfectly fine. But it won't make me think these photos are wrong. I think they're lovely, and creative, and brilliant. And it's fine if someone else does not think so, or can't emotionally think so.
Thanks! Everything seems so logical now. What was I thinking all these years? And for that matter every single other person that has been directly affected by something like this. "Absurd abstract silly pictures" would be Stevie in a tu-tu jumping through rings of fire followed by a parade of poodles or say Stevie and Lindsey's head morphed onto sumo wrestslers. "Tourist of Death" for me is not an example of "absurd abstract silly pictures". And the photos of Stevie were not "lovely, and creative and brilliant" they were amateurish.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
amber's Avatar
amber amber is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!
Posts: 23,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69
Thanks! Everything seems so logical now. What was I thinking all these years? And for that matter every single other person that has been directly affected by something like this. "Absurd abstract silly pictures" would be Stevie in a tu-tu jumping through rings of fire followed by a parade of poodles or say Stevie and Lindsey's head morphed onto sumo wrestslers. "Tourist of Death" for me is not an example of "absurd abstract silly pictures". And the photos of Stevie were not "lovely, and creative and brilliant" they were amateurish.
Mmmkay, I appreciate your sarcastic point. I appreciate your pain. All I ask is that you understand that no one, NO ONE - Is finding this funny due to the tragedy, but solely b/c of the visceral funniness of the pics. You know, Stevie interspersed with total destruction?
It's fine if you don't think it is funny. The important thing is that you do realize it may be funny to other people who also have extreme empathy for any hardships/disasters that people have had to endure. I'm sorry our gallows humor with Stevie placed in certain fictional positions of destruction make you mad - but what makes me mad is the misinterpretation of intentions, and the unwillingness to allow for the difference between humor and satire, and that which is really felt.

We've all told you we don't make light of 9-11 or any other tragedy - why are you trying to hold us hostage with "politically correct" actions rather than focusing on our real feelings, which are light years away from finding good in any terrorist act, or any expression of intolerance?! It's downright insulting! It's a slap in the face to any forward thinking ledgie, which includes most ledgies.
We are among the most humanitarian, forward thinking, tolerant people on earth - yet you try to condemn us because we laugh at some pics of STevie interspersed with disasters? We are trying to express some joy and levity, and we're obviosly some great, intelligent, advanced thinkers - but you try to split hairs with us on semantics, and meaningless crap?! It's a travesty! It is not seeing the forest for the trees at it's worst! Do you honestly think that we don't care about every single person that was effected by 9-11? Do you honestly think that any of us have to be reminded of any sorrow? Do you honestly think that any of us derive pleasure from the heinousness that has happened in the world?
If you do, you are woefully mistaken. Our laughter from the Stevie pics has nothing to do with laughing at tragedy. And the fact that you would'nt recognize that, and would imply that those of us who laughed had nefarious motivations that were far uglier, and less tolerant, and blind - than anything an actual cruel person could ever perpetrate - is abominable. We're not cruel people. We don't laugh at tragedy. We don't think it's cool. So please, PLEASE -Take what we say in context, don't try to pin historical responsibility on us just because you can't discern context. That isn't us, that is not how we are. And it pisses us off for you to imply, through faulty logic, that we are that way, that we feel anything less than full sympathy for any tragedy.
I mean, you're making me sick right now, with your shallow misinterpretation. Do you really think that any ledgie wishes ill on any other? Do you really think that any of us think nine eleven was something happy and fun to make jokes of?
Let us not be oversensitive to the point of fault, okay? Can we just assume enough mutual respect that we don't have to call people out for stupid meaningless **** that isn't even happening? That no one even feels?
Thank you! That would be awesome!
Or, you can continue to take umbrage for no, I repeat, no, reason. But that will make you an a-hole, I have to say. To take offense when no one meant offense, and agrees with you, is lamatoid. It's the worst kind of lamatoid arthritis. It is the hardening of the ideas, and the inability to recognize reality, and anything that is important. It's the inflexibility of the mind, the mind that is impervious to logic and new ideas. It's the mind who takes offense based on old paradigms which do not even exist anymore, and have not even been expressed. The mind that takes umbrage on that which they have imagined, rather than what is actually being thought/said, and the intention inherent.

Sad. Let's all catch up to the future, and use our brains to recognize context, shall we? Thus enabling us to pick our battles - of which this should not be one. It is laughable to imply that any ledgie meant ill will by interspersing Stevie's pic with those of well known disasters. It is an epic misinterpretation, a great faltering of brain power, a return to base emotions without logic, and a monument to self absorption without reason. I am insulted, to be honest. Insulted that someone didn't bother to think further than their own emotional reaction. Didn't bother to think about the real intention of the act. And I am dismayed to think that though the logic was readily at hand, some chose to assume a personal affront by anyone who had laughed at the pics, not bothering to think that one extra step ahead - the one where they realized that obviously no opinion expressed was calculated to offend, or even make light of any tragedy. That no laughter resulting from the pic was in any way calculated to make pain for them and their very personal experience with the information.
I mean, C'mon! Less get a grip!

So Nyeah.
__________________
"Do not be afraid! I am Esteban de la Sexface!"
"In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom.
It is not always an easy sacrifice"

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber : 08-07-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 PM
BlackWidow's Avatar
BlackWidow BlackWidow is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.
Posts: 7,649
Default

I hope this thread DIES!
Where is the LOVE people???
Count to 10......

Last edited by BlackWidow : 08-07-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Johnny Stew's Avatar
Johnny Stew Johnny Stew is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 12,145
Default

I don't think SortaSavageLike ever intended for this thread to dredge up traumatic memories for anyone, and I'm certain he never meant to offend anyone. In fact, I believe this whole "fun with Photoshop" thing was meant to help take his mind off of an upsetting situation going on in his own family, and he decided to share the results with the rest of us.

At any rate, since emotions are running a bit high, maybe it's a good idea to take a step back and not continue arguing about a thread that was meant as nothing more than a bit of absurdity.
__________________
"Although the arrogance of fame lingers like a thick cloud around the famous, the sun always seems to shine for Stevie." -- Richard Dashut, 2014
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-08-2006, 12:00 AM
carrie721's Avatar
carrie721 carrie721 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: the north coast of OH
Posts: 11,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike
So people, am I pushing some kind of limit?

oh my god, i am laughing SO hard!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved