Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Off topic but very important! Farenheit 911

Just wanted to remind all of you to go see Farenheit 911 this weekend. It is a MUST see. I have seen it as I work in the industry and was blown away. If you believe even 25% of the film you will be moved to go and register to vote. I have nothing to gain by this but am so moved by the film that I felt I had to say something. Trust me you will not be sorry. I know this is the wrong area to post this, but I felt compelled to do so. Thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

we do have a Chit Chat section for off topic stuff

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-24-2004, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie... Should be good.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Junior Ledgie

I.cant.wait.to.see.it.as.it.looks.really.good
MM.is.a.really.good.and.insightfull.guy.imo
Bowling.for.Columbine.was.really.interesting.and.shed.alot.of.light.on.things

Scott
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

A word of advice:

Let films like those of Mr. Moore and others (such as the great Oscar-winning documentary "The Fog of War") be the FIRST step towards your enlightenment, not the ultimate one. I'm all for provoking thought and interest on subjects of import, but realize that Michael Moore sees things through his own prism, and the end goal is not always accuracy.

See for yourself, research for yourself, decide for yourself. Don't let Moore do all the work for you.

~JamieSPC
Old 06-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I already have tickets to see it.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I agree with you, but I can't understand those that are outright criticising him for presenting a swayed version of events.
I think the reason people get so upset with Moore, Limbaugh, Franken, Beck and the ilk is the less the amount of opinion expressed but rather the amount of opinion expressed as fact, pure and simple. All of them (particularly Franken and Limbaugh) are so addicted to being right they can't imagine something they espouse being wrong. Bowling for Columbine was at times hilarious, at times enlightening, at times vicious and at times outright lies. The same can be said for just about any 10-minute segment of any conservative radio program. Left and right are blinded by outright hate for what they see as "the opposition," and no matter what the "other side" does, it's wrong. In the end, people like this end up looking ridiculous to any fair-minded, thinking individual.

The problem is these people KNOW what they're doing... their respective audiences more often than not don't do what THEY're supposed to do, which is do the math, the research, the investigating, and make up their own mind. And contrary to popular belief, the left has just as many if not more mindless zombies than the right.

This is all coming from a person (me) who in his life has voted for presidential candidates in three different parties, has read every book by Al Franken AND Bernard Goldberg, is currently reading Clinton's tome, is socially conservative and financially liberal, and may or may not be somewhat, oddly attracted to Condi Rice.

~JamieSPC

Last edited by JamieSPC; 06-24-2004 at 12:32 PM..
Old 06-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSPC
I think the reason people get so upset with Moore, Limbaugh, Franken, Beck and the ilk is the less the amount of opinion expressed but rather the amount of opinion expressed as fact, pure and simple. Most of these people are so addicted to being right they can't imagine something they espouse being wrong. Bowling for Columbine was at times hilarious, at times enlightening, at times vicious and at times outright lies. The same can be said for just about any 10-minute segment of any conservative radio program.
That's what irks me, the presentation of opinion as fact...it bugs the heck outta me....

Anyway, I'm going to see F 9/11, I'm very curious about it, but I'm going to wait until some of the hype dies down...mostly because I hate crowds...
Old 06-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is all coming from a person (me) who in his life has voted for presidential candidates in three different parties, has read every book by Al Franken AND Bernard Goldberg, is currently reading Clinton's tome, is socially conservative and financially liberal, and may or may not be somewhat, oddly attracted to Condi Rice.
God, bless this child.

At this point and time, none of us can espouse what is fact or what is fiction in Moore's new movie because none of us have seen it. We've only seen what the pundits on television have said. And, interrestingly, these pundits themselves have not seen the movie and try to sway the viewer with their opinion, the same thing they accuse moore of doing. But, Jamie is right that before or after you see it, do some research on it and draw your own conclusions. I'd be willing to bet that if 95% of the people who see the movie do some research on their own, 94.9% of those people will not vote for Bush.

Having said that, let the actual footage in the film speak for itself. Like it or not, that stuff isn't doctored.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
That's what irks me, the presentation of opinion as fact...it bugs the heck outta me....
I agree, but in this day and age, there's no getting around it. Anything and everything is colored with someones personal opinion, no matter how subtle or bold. Again, people have no qualms about criticizing Michael Moore for doing it (even though they haven't seen the film, mind you), but they wouldn't dare of criticizing the Great White Hope Dumbya for doing it.

Old 06-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
God, bless this child.
Yeah, I know. But it really comes from having very specific opinions and taking stands on things I believe in, and voting for the people that best represent me. I never vote party lines and can't understand the rationale behind it. And I mean no disrespect, but I can't espouse the kind of politics that dissolves all too often into vitriole rather than solutions for the problems of the everyman.

And no, I'm not a libertarian.

~JamieSPC
Old 06-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I know. But it really comes from having very specific opinions and taking stands on things I believe in, and voting for the people that best represent me. I never vote party lines and can't understand the rationale behind it. And I mean no disrespect, but I can't espouse the kind of politics that dissolves all too often into vitriole rather than solutions for the problems of the everyman.

And no, I'm not a libertarian.

~JamieSPC
You'd stick out like a sore thumb in our political threads!

Old 06-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
You'd stick out like a sore thumb in our political threads!
I think the same can be said of me, I stick out like a sore thumb (More like an upright "middle digit" than a thumb) when it comes to political threads...

I am going to start a new one in a bit about an issue that has (And is) taken place only 40 miles from our home, I am interested to see everyones opinion on "this issue".

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
I think the same can be said of me, I stick out like a sore thumb (More like an upright "middle digit" than a thumb) when it comes to political threads...

I am going to start a new one in a bit about an issue that has (And is) taken place only 40 miles from our home, I am interested to see everyones opinion on "this issue".
Not at all. You come off as another pinko commie liberal. Anyone who dislikes Bush does.

Can't wait for the thread.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/la...ndex.php?id=28

June 24th, 2004 3:16 am
'Fahrenheit 9/11' Breaks NYC Records!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Director Michael Moore's controversial documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" turned on the box office heat in its first day in theaters breaking single-day records at the two New York City theaters where it played. The movie, which aims a critical eye at President Bush and his prosecution of the war in Iraq, sold $49,000 worth of tickets at the Loew's Village 7 theater, beating the venue's single-day record of $43,435 held by 1997's "Men in Black," according to distributors Lions Gate Films and IFC Films.

At the Lincoln Plaza theater, "Fahrenheit 9/11" took in more than $30,000 to top the $24,013 set by "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in 2000.