Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Dumb Ipod Question

I have a question, most likely a dumb one...

I purchased an ipod touch (1st generation) a few months ago and filled it mostly with stuff I've gotten from the generous people on this board. The little exclamation point thingy shows up next to almost all the songs, but that is no biggie because they still play on my ipod.

I would like to update the ipod to 2.2 - my question - if I do so will I lose all the music on the ipod? If I lose it, I think I will have to go back and find all the links on this board and reload all that music. I do not want to do that!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is not a dumb question, that happened to me when I upgraded to 2.0.2, but the process sent a warning telling me all data will be erased and I knew it.

Now I'm receiving this warning at itunes of the new 2.2 version, but frankly i don't have time to reload aaaall my music again. I have all my music in the MUSIC section within my ipod, not the LIBRARY (maybe that's a mistake of mine), but I still not sure if music will be erased. As I learned, not all updates erase it, but no friend of mine has already done it, so I'll know if it erases or not, only when I start the process. I guess there will be a "cancel" option before continue, but I don't wat to take the risk this time.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thank you!

I'm not going to do it then. I wanted to update it because I heard of this new (?) app that sounded cool, called "lethal". If you put in your location it will tell you of the hazards of the area - snakes, alligators, murderers, tornados! I thought it sounded interesting, but I am not interested in reloading all that music! I'll take my chances with snakes and alligators.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found a way to make an ipod not sync on the computer, but you can open it [like a flash drive] and retreive the files.

It worked for my iPod Classic, I have no idea about a Touch...

In iTunes, shut off the 'automatic sync' feature. [if it is not already off]
Plug in the iPod, without iTunes open.
If you have windows [idk if it works with a Mac], a screen should come up, and if you scroll there are folders to open.
keep clicking around [I forget exactly how I got to the point I did, this was in August], and eventually a folder with all your music should open up.
You may or may not have a hell of a time trying to rename everything, I think my process went rather smoothly actually.

This was a lifesaver for me, all my demos and stuff was erased by the idiot at GeekSquad, so I messed around with my iPod for a day or so, and eventually was able to open the device like a flashdrive.

I hope this information helps you. I'm sorry if I wasted your time by posting it, but I found this method to be rather helpful and useful when my library was destroyed.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I have an 'even dumber' Ipod question.........

How do I get songs posted here into my Itunes?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I have my iPod set so that I add songs manually. The default setting, however, is for all songs to be automatically synced. On iTunes, click File===>Add File to Library. In the box that appears, you must find the location on your computer to which you saved the song. Double click it. Then I click File===>Sync iPod
Old 01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour View Post
How do I get songs posted here into my Itunes?

Thanks!
I download them, save them in a folder, then click and drag them into my iTunes library
Old 01-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default wow i love i tunes

hi...im kind of lolling about this thread as i have gone thru the same things u have and have learned how to beat all these probs...the first thing i did was to import all the music into my itunes library...the reason for the explanation mark is itunes cant find the file...it could have come from a zip folder in which case u need to make a folder and move all the songs in the zip file into that folder...the next thing i did to make sure these songs went into the itunes library was to go into the set program access and defaults in the start menu...there is an area here called custom click on that and u can set itunes as ur default music program...then its simply a matter of a double click or right click on the song and it goes directly into ur itunes library...i hope ive helped u out...if u have any more questions just pm me...hugs pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avatar for ledge and 7.jpg (88.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have a dumb iTouch question. Is there anyway to put Word documents on this device? I have some things from my pc that I want to put on the iTouch.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
I have a dumb iTouch question. Is there anyway to put Word documents on this device? I have some things from my pc that I want to put on the iTouch.
Well, if you e-mail it to yourself as an attachment, then you can view it. I don't think that you can edit it though. (But if you want to do that zoho.com works like MS Office, but is online and has a wonderful iPhone/iPod Touch sight. Really works great)
Old 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, now I have a dumb iTunes question. Is there a way I can change the position of a song? I find that often when I load bootlegs, the songs wind up either rearranged or backwards. Annoying when it's a live show. How do I give them a nudge back into the correct order?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ok, now I have a dumb iTunes question. Is there a way I can change the position of a song? I find that often when I load bootlegs, the songs wind up either rearranged or backwards. Annoying when it's a live show. How do I give them a nudge back into the correct order?

Thanks!
You can click hold and drag the songs to move them. You can also click the bars on the top to organize them by name, album, etc.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks!

Hmm, if you want them to be in "album order".. then right clock the song, go to Get Info, then underneath the Info tab, you can edit to your hearts content! To get them in order of an album, I go to wikipedia, and find the correct song order, then give the songs their right song number.. I know it seems like a roundabout way of doing it, but its the best method I've found, and I've tried loads!

Even If
I Never
Hold You..
Again..