Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up Royal Oak Music Theatre 11/8/11

Here is a great review of last night's show in Michigan from the Oakland Press --

ROYAL OAK -- Lindsey Buckingham has plenty of good songs, both on his own and with Fleetwood Mac. He's a pretty fine singer, too.

But the nearly 1,200 who turned out to see him on Tuesday night (Nov. 8) at the Royal Oak Music Theatre mostly wanted to see Buckingham do one thing -- play guitar. And they certainly got what they wanted, a virtuostic display over the course of an hour and 50 minutes that was so dazzling and dynamically varied it could have caused one to ask silly questions like "Eric who?"

The 62-year-old Buckingham didn't waste any time showing off his dexterity, either. He played the night's first five songs solo, starting with the rolling, ethereal finger-picking of "Shut Us Down" from 2006's "Under the Skin," then playing his two biggest solo hits -- "Go Insane" and "Trouble" -- before dipping into the Fleetwood Mac canon for "Never Going Back Again" and a frenetic take on "Big Love." He could have satisfied the crowd in that mode all night long -- and did close the 19-song show that way with the title track of his latest album, "Seeds We Sow" -- but when he brought on his crack three-piece band, the fun really began.

Buckingham and company successfully straddled a line between compositional integrity and stretched-out indulgence. Save for the typically epic Mac track "I'm So Afraid" and a rabble-rousing "Go Your Own Way," most of the instrumental pyrotechnics fit neatly within the songs so that the likes of "Under the Skin," the harmonic "All My Sorrows," the rocking "Illumination" and smooth, poppy "End of Time" simply came off as good tunes that just happened to house jaw-droppingly intricate guitar parts. Buckingham was also careful never to let too much time pass without a hit from Mac world and sounded just as impassioned romping through "Second Hand News" and "Tusk" as he did his solo material.

Fortunately, he was playing for audience that was equally attuned to the latter, so it stayed standing for encores like "Turn It On" and "Treason" even if they weren't part of Buckingham's hit parade. And when he promised he'd be back -- likely with Fleetwood Mac in 2012 -- they certainly let him know that time can't come too soon.

http://m.theoaklandpress.com/oakland...tguid=XudBJ6pv
Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Great Concert

As usual, it was a great concert. Surprised that Detroit drew 1,200 fans while Chicago could only muster 300. LB was more interactive with the fans in Detroit than Chicago - especially after returning for the planned encore (that seems to have progressed during the tour). Same setlist - he couldn't be coaxed into playing Rock Away Blind, despite blatant attempts by the die-hard fans.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^
Considering the date for Chicago was taken off of his website, and had absolutely no press at all, I thought 300 people on a Sunday night was reasonable.

I also thought he interacted with us quite a bit. Hey I even made him laugh!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

20 secs bliss
Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Royal Oak Music Concert

Great performance by Linds as ever. Obstructed view from the front row due to invaders...Felt bad for nephew and niece and s-i-law I took. They weren't up to standing..Looking to contact Mike... find me at pennylawyer facebook or pbtwmom@aol.com..Let's do it again...penny
Old 11-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Junior Ledgie

I'm sorry you feel like your view was obstructed, but Lindsey allows people to stand against the stage because he likes the rock concert vibe. If you had front row seats, I'm sure you still had a good view!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
20 secs bliss
so, ya think he's enjoying this tour

Thank you for sharing the bliss
Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Junior Ledgie

No don't get me wrong I get it, but the front row seats were a good 5 feet fron the stage. One particular group of Lindsites just decided to rush up in front of us, I knew why...I am just getting old to claw my way to the front if I paid for it. I got up there but my family was not quite as territorial as I was. But if the reviews are right from the Chi show who woulld have predicted a sold out Royal Oak. Lindsey always produces a great show. He was very well recieved here in Detroit, No disappointments from the man sometimes other peoples manners get the best of them. Cheers..
Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Wouldn't Take a Hint

Banner placed on stage requesting "Rock Away Blind." Alas, he did not play it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LB RAB.jpg (43.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Banner placed on stage requesting "Rock Away Blind." Alas, he did not play it.
Holy cow, well that's hard to miss Did he respond at all?!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rock Away Blind

Brett pointed at at and gave a huge smile and thumbs up when it was held up. The banner was placed on the stage as the group took bows and they were laughing about it saying "you think that is a hint?"
Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Brett pointed at at and gave a huge smile and thumbs up when it was held up. The banner was placed on the stage as the group took bows and they were laughing about it saying "you think that is a hint?"
LOL - Right on!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:44 AM
equeen102289
This message has been deleted by equeen102289. Reason: might as well argue with a brick wall