User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
That video of "Bleed to Love Her" is almost enough to convince me to go, even though the rest of the set doesn't excite me a whole lot. I feel guilty enough that I can't get myself too thrilled about those mainstays live but I've never heard "Bleed to Love Her" in person before and it's my most favorite song of all. Why can't the shows be free?
And in the South??

Birmingham (AL) beckons Buckingham!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
That video of "Bleed to Love Her" is almost enough to convince me to go, even though the rest of the set doesn't excite me a whole lot. I feel guilty enough that I can't get myself too thrilled about those mainstays live but I've never heard "Bleed to Love Her" in person before and it's my most favorite song of all. Why can't the shows be free?
yes, that BTLH is gorgeous now when he has it really put together... it was nice even before when he'd play it as impromptu encore upon request, but this - wow!

that makes me want Rodeo even more - it was so gorgeous when he was playing it not-quite-ready upon requests on UTS tour, i can't even imagine how great it would be now when it was all ready to go.

i'm actually really happy with almost everything in this set besides Trouble. and i've never heard in concert almost half of it and besides NTL they are all songs i am really excited that i will get to hear them in person - CAD, BTLH, Come were all on my short wish list to hear live someday . but - Rodeo was right up there too, i'm so unhappy he didn't add it back in when he dropped Dancing.

what i'm unhappy about is:
1) how short the setlist is (i can understand but i'm still really unhappy)
2) that there's zero SWS songs other than the actual SWS.

and yes, i would love Underground and Walk A Thin Line, but i can live without them... just need at least Rodeo!

and i am extremely happy that he finally (finally!!) dropped UTS after doing it constantly on every tour since 2006. i couldn't believe it when i saw that it is finally out - so Pattie, i don't understand how you didn't have enough of it by now and PLEASE do not remind him b/c i'm sure he doesn't need much convincing to add it back in a flash.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
sorta like the recording of instrumental versions of Fleetwood Mac songs that was played before showtime on the Unleashed tour.
yes, it was also played at Saban before the 4/22 show and i seem to recall hearing that track of instrumentals before some other shows during SWS tour.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflies View Post
he's playing "stephanie" with a backing track. he was smirking at the front row last night for giggling at his pre-recorded count in.
Oh, I forgot to mention that guttural "1, 2, 3, 4."

Michele
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love UTS and second Pattie's request.
I'm not a Rodeo fan at all.
But, I would like more OOTC. Although, on a weirdish level, I sort of understand why he's ignoring it.
Still, it had some really beautiful music in it.
I don't know. I think this is an interim step before something else...and that's okay with me. I still shudder at the memory of waiting a gazillion years for his 90% completed album, post-The Dance. So, this stuff is all rather awesome.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I love UTS and second Pattie's request.
I'm not a Rodeo fan at all.
But, I would like more OOTC. Although, on a weirdish level, I sort of understand why he's ignoring it.
I don't know. I think this is an interim step before something else...and that's okay with me. I still shudder at the memory of waiting a gazillion years for his 90% completed album, post-The Dance. So, this stuff is all rather awesome.
oh, you and Pattie have both seen him enough and seen enough of UTS . you will be able to somehow survive without it i'm sure

if he adds it in, i will make sure to load up with some rotten tomatoes before i go. and they will go not just in his direction but anybody else's who keeps insisting on that song that he never stopped doing since first putting it out. and then people complain about the same sets - obviously some people want same sets!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One good thing about him touring on a budget is he can no longer afford that bright, blinding light that shines into the audience during UTS. Thank heaven.

Had to have a cornea transplant.

Michele
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
i would too, but he has not been ignoring it last year. he had 2 OOTC songs in his 2011 set - Sorrows and Turn It On.

of course this year he's not only completely ignoring OOTC, but also Tusk (his self-proclaimed favorite FM album), GOS, and Mirage (that he also ignored on the last tour).

but, i'm elated that he's finally not ignoring SYW (original GOS) with both Come and Bleed To Love Her in the set (of course BTLH was also on the Dance). love both those songs, and can't wait to hear them live. Come was apparently the highlight yesterday.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
when i heard/saw first Stephanie video i thought it had pre-recorded backup. now i'm not so sure anymore.

it almost seems like it would be actually harder going through most of the show trying to make sure to keep up with the prerecorded track than playing most of the songs free without any backup. just look what happened with ISA yesterday. and, he can certainly do several melodies at once (and singing with that! BL anyone?), so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he can do an instrumental like that, where he doesn't even have to sing.
i was there last night, and he definitely utilizes a backing track for "stephanie".

and the "i'm so afraid" issue wasn't with the backing loop, it was with the amp. when he stopped the song, he yelled "wrong amp!" at his tech who proceeded to press a couple of pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I should always go with my gut!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
the "i'm so afraid" issue wasn't with the backing loop, it was with the amp. when he stopped the song, he yelled "wrong amp!" at his tech who proceeded to press a couple of pedals.
ha, thanks for explaining that! people just said he had to start it again, so i assumed it must have been some kind of discord with the backing loop.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
i was there last night
so how was the show last night?

of all the people who have seen the show from here so far, the only review i recall is Michele's...

i've seen bunch of short impressions on social media sites, plus that grammy.com review that just came out today, and everybody from completely casual FM listeners to hard core LB fans seems to be describing this completely amazing and utterly gripping experience.

is it really that different from his shows with the band? or people are just so impressed because he's up there completely alone?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:51 AM
Registered

Quote:
ha, thanks for explaining that! people just said he had to start it again, so i assumed it must have been some kind of discord with the backing loop.
he seemed shockingly competent with the backing loops. it's a scary thought to me--playing along with something that i have no control over other than stop/start. but he seems to have it down to a fine science!

Quote:
so how was the show last night?

is it really that different from his shows with the band? or people are just so impressed because he's up there completely alone?
i would say it's different from when he's with the band, but i wouldn't say it's better or worse. it's just a completely different experience. with him up there alone playing these incredible songs, it's like watching art unfold. his talent as a guitarist is definitely at the forefront.

the show, overall, was exceptional. however, i wish he wouldn't scream so many of the higher pitched lyrics. leelee/stella/will need to tell him that he doesn't sound good. otherwise, his voice is in great condition.

i love "shut us down", so i'm glad that's in the set (why wouldn't it be?). i wish he would add in some other songs, just so the show itself is longer. a couple more instrumentals, or songs with longer solos (tango in the night, for example).

i've never read anyone else mentioning this; his guitars are polished so extremely that the light reflecting off of them will blind you. it's pretty jarring, so beware of your position.

for anyone debating if they want to attend or not, it's worth the price of the ticket. go for it!

obviously, i'm not particularly good at writing reviews. if anyone has any specific/technical questions, please feel free to ask and i'll address them individually.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
he seemed shockingly competent with the backing loops. it's a scary thought to me--playing along with something that i have no control over other than stop/start. but he seems to have it down to a fine science!
Technically, that's what he's been doing in the studio for 40 years though. So, I'm not surprised.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

i would say it's different from when he's with the band, but i wouldn't say it's better or worse. it's just a completely different experience. with him up there alone playing these incredible songs, it's like watching art unfold. his talent as a guitarist is definitely at the forefront.

the show, overall, was exceptional. however, i wish he wouldn't scream so many of the higher pitched lyrics. leelee/stella/will need to tell him that he doesn't sound good. otherwise, his voice is in great condition.

i love "shut us down", so i'm glad that's in the set (why wouldn't it be?). i wish he would add in some other songs, just so the show itself is longer. a couple more instrumentals, or songs with longer solos (tango in the night, for example).

i've never read anyone else mentioning this; his guitars are polished so extremely that the light reflecting off of them will blind you. it's pretty jarring, so beware of your position.

for anyone debating if they want to attend or not, it's worth the price of the ticket. go for it!

obviously, i'm not particularly good at writing reviews. if anyone has any specific/technical questions, please feel free to ask and i'll address them individually.
wow, and you say you are not good at writing reviews?! thank you so much for all these tidbits of info, i enjoyed reading them!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Technically, that's what he's been doing in the studio for 40 years though. So, I'm not surprised.
to go with movies metaphor LB is so fond of, and with the caveat that i obviously have no idea what i'm talking about, i would think that:
  • recording music in the studio would be like making movies - you just do little parts over and over and over again, take after take, possibly not even knowing where exactly they are in the whole script (unless you are recording live i guess). if the backing track runs away you just do another take.
  • performing on the stage would be more like acting in the theater play - you gotta go on no matter what happens, there's no retake. but you generally play of other real people so they can fill in if you make a mistake...
if you have a machine track mercilessly going in the background i would think you gotta be constantly on top of your game and cannot go off rhythm so that track doesn't run away... yeah, other people can stop it if that happens but it looks bad.