User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Not to be too picky, but they didnt start playing it at the end of shows until about 35 or 40 shows into the tour.
Are you sure you just didn't leave before they played it? It's been a tradition since the 1987/88 tour to play the original recording of "Albatross" after the house lights come up.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
Anyone like Rattlesnake Shake? Has anyone ever seen the video of them performing it on Playboy After Dark? It's a HOOT!!!
That's a fantastic piece of film - the audience are amazing quite apart from the band They also did "Coming Your Way" on that show, over the closing credits
Old 08-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
That's a fantastic piece of film - the audience are amazing quite apart from the band They also did "Coming Your Way" on that show, over the closing credits
The audience shots are great... love to watch the way people used to dance, the clothes they wore, hair and make up. So hip, so cool.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Ledgie

I can't believe no ones mentioned Green Manalishi. Besides Oh Well, it is one
of the most ORIGINAL, prophetic, Peter Green songs ever written. It's a great
song. The exclamation point to Pete's departure.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are alot of choices here. My 2 personal choices are Oh Well, which will FOREVER stand the test of time, and the instrumental Fleetwood Mac, it being the first song they recorded. What are your choices?
You'd have to specify what you mean by "important."

I never draw conclusions without first defining my terms. I learned that from Blaise Pascal.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That depends. "Fleetwood Mac" is the song that gave the band its name, and probably lit the spark in Peter that lead to the ultimate formation of the group. That's pretty big. HOWEVER...

"Oh Well" could be argued to be their signature song. I think the only tours it wasn't played on since its release were the "Kiln House," "Dance," and SYW tours. It's be covered by quite a few artists, but is still thought of first and foremost as a Fleetwood Mac song. Fans always went crazy when they played it in concert. BUT...

"Albatross" was their first #1 hit in Europe, and was so big, the Beatles (yes, THOSE Beatles) were compelled to write "Sun King" as a bit of a tribute. It was so good, it hit #2 when rereleased as a single in 1973. STILL...

"Hypnotized" was really the first Fleetwood Mac song to get a lot of regular airplay in the USA, the market they had to crack to become what they became.

So, I'd say it's one of those songs. "Black Magic Woman" should get an honorable mention. It gave the band certain bragging rights it needed in that transition phase. However, by 1974, I think those may have been milked for all they were worth.
Good analysis. So I'd say ALBATROSS is the most important song of the early FM. The lineup from Hypnotyzed is not early FM, it is pre-Rumours, but I think ealry FM means the blues era.

I thnik they should have impulsed BMW on radios, and not let Santana popularize it. But.. destiny is destiny.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My vote is for Albatross as well, with Black Magic Woman runner up.

I have always had it in my head that the "Fleetwood Mac" track was technically a Blues Breakers recording, non?

Importance personally to me getting interested in the early FM would be Closing My Eyes, Although The Sun Is Shining and Coming Your Way from Then Play On because my Dad had a copy and I remembered hearing those ones.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Are you sure you just didn't leave before they played it? It's been a tradition since the 1987/88 tour to play the original recording of "Albatross" after the house lights come up.
No, I never leave before the end of a show. Not saying you thought I did, but I always stay late, and I distinctly remember they did not start playing Albatross until the 2 Anaheim shows.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

I never draw conclusions without first defining my terms. I learned that from Blaise Pascal.
Fair enough. I guess the enst way I could describe what I was trying to say is most recognizable, and what defined their early sound. BTW, I dont like to learn too much from Pascal, after all he only lived to be 39. Not that he wasnt a brilliant man in those 39 years mind you.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

The Ledge.edu When I saw these guys at the Warehouse, I was
standing between 2 girls who were Blues (haters), they were waiting for the Dead....until they decided that Danny was beyond cute
I on the other hand thought that Pete played as well as BB King...and that
those girls that were hanging backstage (Micks wife and Christine) were beyond cute. That Friday night, Jumping at Shadows and Uncle Johns Band
sent me on my way...for better or worse....I never looked back and I would do it all over again...ya had to be there
Old 09-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Ledgie

Default oh well

oh well and black magic woman should get the honors together because both are the two songs most likely to be played as covers by others. Tom Petty played OH Well last week in Cicago. How many wedding receptions in the past 35 years have you gone to without black magic woman being played?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryellen healy View Post
How many wedding receptions in the past 35 years have you gone to without black magic woman being played?
Every one I attended. I've NEVER heard BMW played at a wedding reception. (not even my OWN)

I've heard it (and played it) at BLUES Jams almost weekly, though.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:14 AM
Ledgie

Default perhaps I overstated....

but it certainly has gotten its fair share of airplay over the years
Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Ledgie

I cannot single out one song more than any other so I will list my fav 3 from back then: Albatross, Black Magic Woman and Oh Well.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:00 AM
hmcannally
This message has been deleted by hmcannally. Reason: accidental duplicate post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
There are alot of choices here. My 2 personal choices are Oh Well, which will FOREVER stand the test of time, and the instrumental Fleetwood Mac, it being the first song they recorded. What are your choices?

How about "Man of the World?"

I'm also especially partial to "Linda" because I think it demonstrates wonderfully how well Mick Fleetwood and the rest of the band could play off of each other even back then; and I think M.F.'s drumming is just amazing in that song.

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 10-05-2006 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: I wanted to practice using semi-colons. Also - - BECAUSE, man. . . . JUST because......