Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Need Your Love So Bad appreciation thread

I've really been getting into this song lately. It's just a killer all the way around. Probably my second favorite Peter song behind Oh Well.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great song! My favorite version, and one of my favorite recordings by Green is the one found on the "Live at the BBC" collection from August of 1968.
For me, this recording stands as one of Green’s finest vocal performances.
Recording it "live", Green was now faced with rearranging the number for a three piece band, losing the organ, horns and overdubbed strings.
Christine Perfect had played on the studio session, but Green’s arrangement here is built around the idea that “less is more" - where after a brief intro, his guitar "simply" serves to fill the spaces between the lines, and it is his vocal, that shades, builds,releases the tension, and colors the meaning of the number.
Where Perfect’s Hammond B3 and the horns dictated the cadences and stresses of the verses in the studio original, Green takes his time with the first line of each verse, and then doubles the length with the second. Listen to how long he holds the line, “I need some lips…..” holding back, prolonging the moment of contact.
At the end of second verse, after singing, “…now when the lights are low…” he simply hums the fill, dismissing the use of the guitar; nothing will come between him and his lover at this point. His voice is a husky whisper as he finishes the verse, proclaiming once more how he needs her love so bad.
With songs such as Duster Bennett’s “Jumping At Shadows”, or B. B. King’s “All Over Again”, Green’s vocals, as strong as they were, still basked in the reflected glory of his guitar work when he performed them.
This is a rare example of his vocal standing on its own and equaling his guitar prowess.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 09-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Ledgie

Default the fleetwood mac boxed set

The one I liked epecially was from the studio practice recordings. The one after both Christine Perfect and John McVie(at the time) make a miscue on the ending vamp up to the close
I liked that one too but the funny screwup is so off key it is only salvagable in pro tools. Green's voice is just great in this song , whichever version.