The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure there will be an album before they go on tour again. In all seriousness - there is little point in FM releasing an album after a three year period of touring. They've always been a band that puts an album release right in front of a tour. They've toured to get their name out there and get the feels back on for working together, made a huge hubbub about Christine being back, and now is the time to go record an album. At the snails pace with which these people have always worked, a new album should be ready just in the nick of time to go on the road again in 18 months as planned.

I doubt sales potential has anything to do with Stevie's reticence (if that reticence is even factual, which we don't really know) because she's saying in interviews that sales don't matter anymore to her.

They aren't going to release an album without her. To think they will is foolish - look at the history from Mick's perspective:

Behind the Mask - No Lindsey, flop
Time - No Stevie or Lindsey, flop
Say You Will - No Christine, relative flop

Why on earth would they go forward and do another album sans one of the 'golden' members, when they've all just toured for three years and rebuilt some chemistry? If there is only going to be one more, might as well do it right. As Lindsey said - It Takes Time.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How to get Stevie in the studio??? Have fun recording !!!

From her recent Huffington Post interview...

"Every other record we’ve ever done has taken at least a year. Rumors, all of the records. We have enough money where everyone goes ‘We can do whatever we want.’ And I think sometimes that really doesn’t work that well for you because you really don’t need to book every studio in the city to put FIVE THOUSAND OVERDUBS on music that is already really good. You are trying really hard to use your time wisely. You get better stuff and it is a lot more fun getting the stuff that you do get.” Nicks has had a lot of fun throughout her career and doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon. Just when you think you have seen it all, Nicks makes sure that you haven’t seen anything yet.

Judging from her recent interviews Stevie's new outlook seems to be "If I can't have fun doing it I'm not doing it... Why waste the time I have left being miserable"

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 09-19-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post

"Every other record we’ve ever done has taken at least a year. Rumors, all of the records. We have enough money where everyone goes ‘We can do whatever we want.’ And I think sometimes that really doesn’t work that well for you because you really don’t need to book every studio in the city to put FIVE THOUSAND OVERDUBS on music that is already really good. You are trying really hard to use your time wisely. You get better stuff and it is a lot more fun getting the stuff that you do get.”

Judging from her recent interviews Stevie's new outlook seems to be "If I can't have fun doing it I'm not doing it... Why waste the time I have left being miserable"
^^^

I think this is really the heart of the matter.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't Behind the Mask go platinum? I know it went gold and peaked in the U.S. at #18, but it went to #1 in other countries. I bet it sold as much as Say You Will did. So while it was a disappointment, it wasn't a flop.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Didn't Behind the Mask go platinum? I know it went gold and peaked in the U.S. at #18, but it went to #1 in other countries. I bet it sold as much as Say You Will did. So while it was a disappointment, it wasn't a flop.
It was a flop. So it went platinum - no one remembers it. It had no hits that have become classics. It's forgotten. That's what I call a flop. And by 'no one' I don't mean hardcore fans like us. I mean the masses who propel albums to legendary status.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Say You Will - No Christine, relative flop
Funny story. We honeymooned in Maui at the beginning of August this year and went to Fleetwood's to watch Mick play with Willie K for one of the shows they were doing to celebrate the restaurant's 4th anniversary. (Incidentally, Sammy Hagar, Quest Love, and Kris Kristofferson all showed up unexpectedly too and played/sang with them [except Kris].)

Anyway, they had a raffle at the beginning, and the winner won a photo of the band in the studio working on the Say You Will album. As Mick was handing it to the winner, he explained that it was from the SYW session and referred to the album something along the lines of "not one of our greatest works." I'm paraphrasing that because I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was similar to that and clear that he didn't hold the album in high regard.

Awesome show by the way. I had never heard of Willie K before, but he was an amazing blues player and singer. Only about 50 people in the reserved seating area. Very intimate and cool. Mick always seems very appreciative of his fans in these kinds of situations (did a couple of meet and greets with him before too) and loves to talk.

Brad
Old 09-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post

"Every other record we’ve ever done has taken at least a year. Rumors, all of the records. We have enough money where everyone goes ‘We can do whatever we want.’ And I think sometimes that really doesn’t work that well for you because you really don’t need to book every studio in the city to put FIVE THOUSAND OVERDUBS on music that is already really good. You are trying really hard to use your time wisely. You get better stuff and it is a lot more fun getting the stuff that you do get.” Nicks has had a lot of fun throughout her career and doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon. Just when you think you have seen it all, Nicks makes sure that you haven’t seen anything yet.

This is all A direct dig at Lindsey's recording style. He labors over songs with 5 thousand overdubs. FU stevie that's what I love about FM that they labor over stuff to make it interesting and not sound like demos. Her recent album was bland and boring and sounded like everything else she's done. SO OVER HER!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was a flop. So it went platinum - no one remembers it. It had no hits that have become classics. It's forgotten. That's what I call a flop. And by 'no one' I don't mean hardcore fans like us. I mean the masses who propel albums to legendary status.
Let's get real. Whatever they put out isn't going to sell massively. If they sold as many copies as Behind The Mask did then I'd imagine they'd be absolutely delighted. As people keep saying though- at this stage it really ist about shifting large numbers of copies. They should be putting material out to appease their fans and for their artistic integrity and legacy. It's what good musicians do- create albums of original material. They'll be remembered for their music long after people have forgotten their live shows.

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 09-19-2016 at 01:50 PM..
Old 09-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
An album that sold a million copies and hit #18 and had a top 40 hit (Behind the Mask) is not the same as an album that didn't even make the top 200, sold less than 50,000 copies and had no singles that charted (Time). Say You Will didn't have any singles that charted in the top 100, but I think it may have gone gold. No one remembers it, it had no hits that have become classics, it's forgotten.

That's what I call more of a flop.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
This is all A direct dig at Lindsey's recording style. He labors over songs with 5 thousand overdubs. FU stevie that's what I love about FM that they labor over stuff to make it interesting and not sound like demos. Her recent album was bland and boring and sounded like everything else she's done. SO OVER HER!!!
Actually, I get the feeling Stevie is anything but fun in the studio. Christine and Lindsey looked as if they had a great time working together on the 'recent' material they recorded. Whereas I can imagine when Stevie is in the studio everyone has to tip toe around her in fear of saying the wrong thing. She comes across these days as having the sense of humour of Pol Pot.

Yeah, I agree- Lindsey has a high attention to detail- that's what made their music truly great.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Funny story. We honeymooned in Maui at the beginning of August this year and went to Fleetwood's to watch Mick play with Willie K for one of the shows they were doing to celebrate the restaurant's 4th anniversary. (Incidentally, Sammy Hagar, Quest Love, and Kris Kristofferson all showed up unexpectedly too and played/sang with them [except Kris].)

Anyway, they had a raffle at the beginning, and the winner won a photo of the band in the studio working on the Say You Will album. As Mick was handing it to the winner, he explained that it was from the SYW session and referred to the album something along the lines of "not one of our greatest works." I'm paraphrasing that because I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was similar to that and clear that he didn't hold the album in high regard.

Awesome show by the way. I had never heard of Willie K before, but he was an amazing blues player and singer. Only about 50 people in the reserved seating area. Very intimate and cool. Mick always seems very appreciative of his fans in these kinds of situations (did a couple of meet and greets with him before too) and loves to talk.

Brad
Wow you were at the show when Kris was there?!?!? Talking about the legend!! Man, I'm so jealous!! Ypu didn't get to talk to him by any chance?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Brad
That's a great story, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good time!
Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Brad
Great story!! and yes it's not one of their greatest works.. it's a flop..
Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still pissed about her "5000 overdubs" comment. A clear dis to Lindsey. She really has become a real extra piece of work. She always has but it's out of control.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Wow you were at the show when Kris was there?!?!? Talking about the legend!! Man, I'm so jealous!! Ypu didn't get to talk to him by any chance?
Yeah, it was pretty cool. They kept trying to coax him up there to sing, but he was pretty adamant that he wasn't going to, so they left him alone. He did come up at the very end of the show to hug Mick. Didn't get to talk to him, unfortunately.

Here's a pic we caught at the end of him and Mick.

And here he giving away the photo from the dreadful SYW sessions.

Last edited by Brad; 09-19-2016 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Added a second pic