The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Who recorded the 4 new songs on The Chain box set?

Specifically, Love Shines, Heart of Stone, Paper Doll, and Make Me a Mask. I thought Love Shines and Heart of Stone were recorded by Christine, Mick, John, and Billy, Paper Doll by Stevie, Christine, Mick, John, and Billy, and Make Me a Mask by Lindsey. Does anyone know for sure? Did Rick Vito play on any of the songs? Was Paper Doll an outtake from Behind the Mask?

What did people think about the two songs produced by Patrick Leonard? I think they're fascinating and a small look at what could have been.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:03 PM

I think Chili, Homer, or David would know. Let me summon them.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-31-2016 at 05:17 PM..
Old 08-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's quite clearly on Heart of Stone with Chris, Billy, Mick and John; Lindsey is very subtly on Paper Doll- listen to him singing back up on the word "else" on the chorus. I think Rick's on Paper Doll as he was a co-writer and I think the song dates from 1988, so that's LB plus the BTM band...

I think Stevie had "filtered herself out" by the time they did Love Shines- Rick had gone so that was just Chris, Billy, Mick and John. Make me a mask is an OOTC off-cut with just LB on it.

So all four songs have different line-ups. Pretty indicative of a time when the band pretty much only nominally existed.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 08-31-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Old 08-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a discography link for you (from this site) to click on each song for more information (I'm on my phone so cutting/pasting taking to long). Paper Doll is listed as recorded (unused) for Greatest hits.

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=4
Old 08-31-2016, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Paper Doll pre-dated any of the Behind the Mask material. It was co-written with Rick so I'd be surprised if he wasn't on there. I certainly think the guitar parts near the end are his and the backing vocals sound like a blend of Billy and Rick. Dont know why it wasn't used for BTM.

Love Shines- definitely just Chris, Billy, Mick and John.

Heart of Stone- I'd like to say it was also just CBM&J. However, I've got this niggling feeling I can hear Stevie's voice buried in there somewhere.

Make Me a Mask- yes sounds like its all Lindsey.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=4

That's all I can find. I have the boxed set, and it doesn't list who played on what.

Any response by me would be pure speculation. I suppose I could message Billy or Rick, but even if they took the time to respond, who knows if they'd actually remember, 25 years after the fact.

Just look how accurately Stevie recollects things!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This, from Rick's Q & A on the Ledge

Hi, Rick! I have two major questions for you, though I'm sure I could think of dozens. First, I know you co-wrote "Paper Doll" with Stevie, but you and Billy did sing and play on it too, right? I also think you sing and/ or play on Chris's two songs -- is that true? Second, I respect your privacy regarding questions related to your departure from the band, and I hope this doesn't invade your privacy, but I am curious about the timeline. Specifically, were you still an official member of the band during the recording for the box set or did you "come back," like Stevie and Chris, to participate. Also, I saw FM's appearance in the pre-game festivities of the 1993 Super Bowl. Since this was after everyone's solo projects in 1992, did your departure come after this event, or was it a reunion of sorts? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer everyone's questions -- you are admired by many! (Jonathan Donahue, New York City, New York, USA)

Hi, We originally cut "Paper Doll" at the same time we cut "As Long As You Follow" for the "Greatest Hits" record. I don't think Mick liked it too much at the time and we recorded something else of Stevie's instead. Years later after I was gone they came upon that track, and by then Mick and the others thought it sounded pretty good. I loved the track, which I wrote with my friend John Herron. Stevie added words and melody later. The Super Bowl thing was put together by Billy Burnette who asked me to do it. I really didn't feel comfortable doing it at first since I was not in the band at the time, but Billy really wanted me to. That's the last time I played with the Mac as a group. Take care.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...158&Itemid=178

And this from Billy's Q & A

Hi Billy... a thousand thanks for taking your time to "talk" with us fans. I am very fond of your work with Fleetwood Mac, and thru that, I have become a fan of your solo work as well. My question is about your time with Fleetwood Mac: There has been a lot of confusion about the new songs on '25 Years - The Chain'. Lindsey mentioned in a 1992 interview that he and Stevie had agreed to go into the studio with the band to "record some new songs" for the boxed set. However Rick has said that "Paper Doll" was recorded in 1988. Was it a completed track at that time, or were finishing touches put on it for the boxed set? Could you shed some light on that song for us, as well as "Heart Of Stone" and "Love Shines"? When and where were they recorded, and the line-up on each, etc. (Brian S., Midland, Pennsylvania, USA)

In 1988, "Paper Doll" was overdubbed by Lindsey Buckingham, Rick Vito, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, John McVie, Stevie Nicks, and myself. "Heart of Stone" and "Love Shines" were recorded in L.A. by Christine, John, Mick, and myself.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...103&Itemid=120

That's odd, I can definitely hear Stevie on Heart of Stone during the chorus. Maybe she overdubbed it at later date.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 08-31-2016 at 06:38 PM..
Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mr Scarrott wins the internets today!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think Chili, Homer, or David would know. Let me summon them.
Speaking of Chili, has anyone heard from him lately? I've noticed he hasn't posted in quite a while.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Speaking of Chili, has anyone heard from him lately? I've noticed he hasn't posted in quite a while.
He's alive!!!

We met online in a FM Usenet group(along with David, and jbrownsjr), roughly 20 years ago.

He's going to be in Nashville around Sept 19th. While I have Heart tix on the 19th, we're gonna meet for dinner that evening, before my concert.

So after 20 years of FM chatting, we'll finally meet!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
In 1988, "Paper Doll" was overdubbed by Lindsey Buckingham, Rick Vito, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, John McVie, Stevie Nicks, and myself. "Heart of Stone" and "Love Shines" were recorded in L.A. by Christine, John, Mick, and myself.
Well that confirms what I heard many years ago....that "Paper Doll" was the only track to feature the entire BTM lineup and Lindsey. But am I understanding this right? Lindsey worked with them on this in 1988? Seems odd.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Well that confirms what I heard many years ago....that "Paper Doll" was the only track to feature the entire BTM lineup and Lindsey. But am I understanding this right? Lindsey worked with them on this in 1988? Seems odd.
Just in case you don't know, "overdubs" doesn't necessarily mean "working with". Lindsey could have possibly been in the studio by himself, or with just the "engineer".

As a producer of FM sound, on most of their hits, it only makes sense that they'd include him in the production.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Don't forget Lindsey played acoustic guitar on the title track of Behind the Mask as well. He also appeared on Time's Nothing Without You. So he appeared on four FM tracks after he left and before he returned. Seems like it was an itch that needed to be kept scratched.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Just in case you don't know, "overdubs" doesn't necessarily mean "working with". Lindsey could have possibly been in the studio by himself, or with just the "engineer".

As a producer of FM sound, on most of their hits, it only makes sense that they'd include him in the production.
The discography suggests the LB overdubs were added in 92, which is what I vaguely recall from other threads:

Lindsey Buckingham (Vocals), Lindsey Buckingham (Guitar), Billy Burnette (Guitar), Rick Vito (Guitar), Stevie Nicks (Vocals), Christine McVie (Keyboards), John McVie (Bass), Mick Fleetwood (Drums), Richard Dashut (Produced By)
Comments Originally recorded for the 1988 Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits album but not used at the time. Reportedly has some Lindsey overdubs from '92.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, thanks everybody! I am so glad the band put No Questions Asked on their Greatest Hits album in place of Paper Doll.

I wonder why Lindsey even bothered to put himself on Paper Doll. Especially when his contribution was a solo track- just odd. I mean, a completely solo song by one member on a Fleetwood Mac album, why bother. I like the song, it just doesn't belong on a FM album.

Regarding Paper Doll, it was interesting to me that Rick Vito and John Herron wrote it first, with lyrics added by Stevie later. I always thought that song was about Lindsey, but now I'm not so sure.