Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default You Make Loving Fun

I have been listening to this song a lot lately. It's always been one of my favorites, it was one of the Fleetwood Mac songs I knew from the radio and from my parents before I was a big Fleetwood Mac fan. Anyway, it's a beautifully crafted song. It's definitely one of Christine's best as well as the entire band. The instruments and vocals are flawless.

I came across this video on YouTube

http://youtu.be/eRtJpWtQFFw

I love the way the Lindsey and Stevie characters sing the "aaahhhhahhhh" during the chorus. That is one of the things that I love about the original version of You Make Loving Fun. How nice would it have sounded if Lindsey and Stevie sang that part when they played this song live all through the 70s and 80s.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't remember exactly what he wrote but I liked the bit in 'Making Rumours' where Ken talked about the recording of this song. He said Lindsey left the studio and left Christine playing around with the layering and arrangement of the song. When Lindsey came back to the studio the next day/later he was amazed at what she had come up with and Lindsey told her he was proud of her.

Now, I can't remember exactly what he wrote but it was along those lines. I like the idea of him telling her he was proud of her- although she's a ballsy woman she lacks confidence in her music making.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do like the Deluxe Rumours outtake with Stevie singing the chorus with Christine, but I like the ahhhhahhh better.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:42 PM

The live version on the Tusk package is absolutely amazing.
Christine and Lindsey jam their parts with Mick and John and you can hear every single instrument. It's so good.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I can't remember exactly what he wrote but I liked the bit in 'Making Rumours' where Ken talked about the recording of this song. He said Lindsey left the studio and left Christine playing around with the layering and arrangement of the song. When Lindsey came back to the studio the next day/later he was amazed at what she had come up with and Lindsey told her he was proud of her.

Now, I can't remember exactly what he wrote but it was along those lines. I like the idea of him telling her he was proud of her- although she's a ballsy woman she lacks confidence in her music making.
Actually, I've just gone back and read up on it. It wasnt quite as I remember it;

'Lindsey finally arrived at the studio late that afternoon. Christine was on a roll. She already had the electric piano and signature clav tracks. Next, she wanted to lay down an organ bed to smooth out the whole track and also add a deep rich colour of a Hammond organ sound far back in the track. Lindsey was very happy with Christine's song and her parts. I think he was really proud of her. He sat down and quietly rolled a couple of joints while she was finishing up.'
Old 02-01-2016, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I love the song too. Its written so well and the music is so good. Lindsey's awesome guitar licks take the song to another level. Its sweet from the heart but it also rocks.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Actually, I've just gone back and read up on it. It wasnt quite as I remember it;

'Lindsey finally arrived at the studio late that afternoon. Christine was on a roll. She already had the electric piano and signature clav tracks. Next, she wanted to lay down an organ bed to smooth out the whole track and also add a deep rich colour of a Hammond organ sound far back in the track. Lindsey was very happy with Christine's song and her parts. I think he was really proud of her. He sat down and quietly rolled a couple of joints while she was finishing up.'
I also love the Making of Rumours DVD coverage of this tune.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:40 AM
dawn_amanda

I prefer the demo version with Stevie singing the chorus. Same with Oh Daddy actually. I always wonder whose idea it was not to use Stevie, and if she was offended?!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn_amanda View Post
I prefer the demo version with Stevie singing the chorus. Same with Oh Daddy actually. I always wonder whose idea it was not to use Stevie, and if she was offended?!
I wondered that, too. That vocal is everything. It's an amazing tune.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn_amanda View Post
The demo version that later appeared on the RUMOURS DELUX edition with Stevie singing harmony vocals on the chorus to "You Make Loving Fun" is one the BEST recorded Fleetwood Mac moments......PERIOD. This harmony vocal should have been kept on the release. Nonetheless, Stevie duplicated it in concert for YEARS when she added harmony vocals to Chris' chorus of YMLF. For awhile, from 82-14, Stevie stopped singing on the chorus at live performances. I was ELATED and OVERJOYED to see that, during the 2014/15 Tour, Stevie was BACK singing harmony chorus vocals during "You Make Loving Fun". Praise be to the Mac Gods! Rock on, High Priestess, go ahead Lily, HARMONIZE IT!!!!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
The demo version that later appeared on the RUMOURS DELUX edition with Stevie singing harmony vocals on the chorus to "You Make Loving Fun" is one the BEST recorded Fleetwood Mac moments......PERIOD. This harmony vocal should have been kept on the release. Nonetheless, Stevie duplicated it in concert for YEARS when she added harmony vocals to Chris' chorus of YMLF. For awhile, from 82-14, Stevie stopped singing on the chorus at live performances. I was ELATED and OVERJOYED to see that, during the 2014/15 Tour, Stevie was BACK singing harmony chorus vocals during "You Make Loving Fun". Praise be to the Mac Gods! Rock on, High Priestess, go ahead Lily, HARMONIZE IT!!!!

I do like the version with Stevie singing the chorus with Christine, but I like the version they chose to put on Rumours better. I love the way the ahhhhahhhhahhhh during the chorus sounds. I can definitely hear Lindsey in the ahhhhhahhhhahhh but I can't make out if it's all three or them or Lindsey and Stevie or Lindsey and Christine.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 02-02-2016 at 11:39 PM..
Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

JMHO but I just think they turned Stevie's background vocals way way down. If you listen hard you can barely hear Stevie if not at all. I like the final cut and its no offense to Stevie. The harmony and Stevie sounds good but maybe too good and is a distraction from the rest of the song. Its a rocking love song straight through. I think removing or turning down Stevie gives the song more oomph IMHO.

The way those synthesizers hum and churn is so pleasing to the ears. Chris does a wonderful job!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Add me to the camp that prefers the Deluxe/alternate version. Its a combination of Stevie's locals and that musical interlude after the second verse-now THAT is one the best Mac moments, and I can't believe they left that part off the album version. It is so dreamy.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yahoo Music August 26, 2016

Here Are Rock's All-Time Greatest Love Songs: Classics, 80s and Beyond

https://www.yahoo.com/music/rocks-ti...130300124.html

Love is not love without rock music, and rock music is not rock music without love.

From the '60s to the '80s and beyond, sweet romance has been expressed beautifully through rock music.

Here, we count down 10 of the all-time greatest rock songs about love, from 1960s classics to modern spin-offs.

Fleetwood Mac, "You Make Lovin' Fun"

It's the soap opera of the rock world: infidelity, heartbreak, and wheelbarrows full of booze and blow all produced Fleetwood Mac's top-shelf classic, Rumors. And it's on this funk-rock-lite groover that Christine McVie, recently divorced from bassist John McVie, coos about a new affair with the group's lighting director, Curry Grant. It'd be tough to sing (or sing harmonies to, in John's case) lyrics like, "You, you make loving fun / I don't have to tell you but you're the only one." Lesson learned: Love is… complicated.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yahoo Music August 26, 2016

Here Are Rock's All-Time Greatest Love Songs: Classics, 80s and Beyond

https://www.yahoo.com/music/rocks-ti...130300124.html

Love is not love without rock music, and rock music is not rock music without love.

From the '60s to the '80s and beyond, sweet romance has been expressed beautifully through rock music.

Here, we count down 10 of the all-time greatest rock songs about love, from 1960s classics to modern spin-offs.

Fleetwood Mac, "You Make Lovin' Fun"

It's the soap opera of the rock world: infidelity, heartbreak, and wheelbarrows full of booze and blow all produced Fleetwood Mac's top-shelf classic, Rumors. And it's on this funk-rock-lite groover that Christine McVie, recently divorced from bassist John McVie, coos about a new affair with the group's lighting director, Curry Grant. It'd be tough to sing (or sing harmonies to, in John's case) lyrics like, "You, you make loving fun / I don't have to tell you but you're the only one." Lesson learned: Love is… complicated.
As soon as those 4 beats hit.. I'm into it... great legendary tune..