User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
You have to accept that when people get ill or die, there will always be those people who will say "good, that is what they deserve". You may not like it, and personally I think it is unpleasant, but it is a fact of life, and you can not stop someone from expressing their opinion on here whether or not you like it.
You can't enforce basic human decency? Alright then...
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRobert View Post
You can't enforce basic human decency? Alright then...
My thoughts also. I do despair a bit.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
It is interesting though that when someone gets ill everyone suddenly thinks the very best of them. Now I have nothing but respect for John McVie and wish him well in his cancer battle, but sometimes I feel that it could be the devil himself and people would be upset if anyone said a bad thing about him.

You have to accept that when people get ill or die, there will always be those people who will say "good, that is what they deserve". You may not like it, and personally I think it is unpleasant, but it is a fact of life, and you can not stop someone from expressing their opinion on here whether or not you like it.

Also, pretty good chance that John McVie doesn't really give a damn what anyone thinks of him.
Exactly. John may care what people think about him, but he doesn't care what people HERE think about him. Comments here are not going to upset him personally or impact his upcoming fight. This is not a tribute board. I know people use it like that, but it really is not one.

If people are baiting and trolling to inflame other people posting here, once that's determined, it won't last long. But the moderators are going to make that determination. If you're being attacked, action will be taken, but if John is, not so much.

Trolling will be handled. But if all a poster is doing is insulting band members, that's not wrong. It may trouble others, but there are plenty of places you can go where people will only pay honor to the public figure. This place has never been like that. So, I don't know why anyone would think it will magically change now. It won't. Reverence isn't required or particularly encouraged, here. You should know that by now. If you think fans shouldn't talk like this, then stop considering it a fan site.

As far as talking about John's future goes, we WILL talk about it, appropriate or not, until we see him on the stage again. That's just a matter of fact. It may not be respectful, but it's going to happen.

We love him, but he's at home with people who KNOW and love him and that HE knows and whose opinions he cares about. We are not those people. We have no idea what his cancer is, what the course of treatment is and what the prognosis is, so clearly our views are uninformed and will not impact those who do have information in any way whatsoever.

Michele
Old 10-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Exactly. John may care what people think about him, but he doesn't care what people HERE think about him. Comments here are not going to upset him personally or impact his upcoming fight. This is not a tribute board. I know people use it like that, but it really is not one.

If people are baiting and trolling to inflame other people posting here, once that's determined, it won't last long. But the moderators are going to make that determination. If you're being attacked, action will be taken, but if John is, not so much.

Trolling will be handled. But if all a poster is doing is insulting band members, that's not wrong. It may trouble others, but there are plenty of places you can go where people will only pay honor to the public figure. This place has never been like that. So, I don't know why anyone would think it will magically change now. It won't. Reverence isn't required or particularly encouraged, here. You should know that by now. If you think fans shouldn't talk like this, then stop considering it a fan site.

As far as talking about John's future goes, we WILL talk about it, appropriate or not, until we see him on the stage again. That's just a matter of fact. It may not be respectful, but it's going to happen.

We love him, but he's at home with people who KNOW and love him and that HE knows and whose opinions he cares about. We are not those people. We have no idea what his cancer is, what the course of treatment is and what the prognosis is, so clearly our views are uninformed and will not impact those who do have information in any way whatsoever.

Michele
I don't quite agree.

A thread on this board was started to send a band member good wishes, and was meant to be positive. All sorts of guff is being put forth on other threads and in other fora about how unjust it is that so-and-so may not now be coming to wherever, and how John is no saint etc.

That we cannot have one thread untainted by the selfishness and bitterness of some posters is totally dispiriting; for that is what it is. Go elsewhere, to another thread, if you want to have the discussion about the future of the band. We know it is being talked about elsewhere.

One can come up with all the high-handed explanations one wants about freedom of expression or what you think the purpose of this forum is, but it doesn't wash for me. I just think it's sad; that's all, really.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Am worried due to a UPI posting

Dear All,
I don't get a chance to post here often, but I just had to take a minute in the wake of yesterday's sad announcement about John McVie.

I've been scouring the internet for further news on type of cancer, etc., and found this article by United Press International (UPI), which states that it is liver cancer.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_New.../?spt=rln&or=2

Has anyone heard this to be definitely the case?

My former boss' father had it, and it worries me if it's what John has. My thoughts and prayers go to him and his family at this difficult time.

Best to everyone here,
Amy
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycondit View Post
Dear All,
I don't get a chance to post here often, but I just had to take a minute in the wake of yesterday's sad announcement about John McVie.

I've been scouring the internet for further news on type of cancer, etc., and found this article by United Press International (UPI), which states that it is liver cancer.
Wow. We just don't know. But if it's not and someone in John's camp says it's not to UPI, then they would do a retraction, which in itself would be welcome info.

Michele
Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post

One can come up with all the high-handed explanations one wants about freedom of expression or what you think the purpose of this forum is, but it doesn't wash for me. I just think it's sad; that's all, really.
I didn't say anything about Freedom of Expression. And you can be sad if you like, but the board is never going to be what you want it to be, so remonstrations won't help.

You can dedicate threads to different subjects, but we had one titled the cancelled shows and one titled open-endedly "John McVie" and they became a magnet for all sorts of discussion related to John McVie. Perhaps, if there was one titled "John McVie, Get Well Wishes" then all posts that were anything but could be moved elsewhere, but the bottom line is posts aren't going to be removed because you think they're disrespectful.

Michele
Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow. We just don't know. But if it's not and someone in John's camp says it's not to UPI, then they would do a retraction, which in itself would be welcome info.

Michele

That article was written almost 24 hours ago. In this day and age, I think that a retraction would've been made by now. Liver cancer is probably the most likely candidate, for lack of a better word. However, until somebody from within FM's camp comes forward with more info, I'm not going to fully believe anything.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Best wishes to John. I hope he makes a speedy recovery!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Someone is claiming an "Inside source" so this may or not be true...
An official announcement would be nice...
Perhaps there should be a new thread for news about recent FM events instead of posting here...

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 10-28-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post

Someone is claiming an "Inside source" so this may or not be true...
An official announcement would be nice...
Interesting-thanks. Looks like several have been pressing her for info and she said her source is someone who plays with the band and that treatment started already but all this was only just announced.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The bad perceptions we have of liver cancer only apply if it's not caught in the early stages. If it is, that's rare, BUT in John's case, we have to assume he passed a pre-tour medical examination just this year. So, that's reason to hope that nothing was at an advanced stage then and that it's really true it was caught early on.

Michele
Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The bad perceptions we have of liver cancer only apply if it's not caught in the early stages. If it is, that's rare, BUT in John's case, we have to assume he passed a pre-tour medical examination just this year. So, that's reason to hope that nothing was at an advanced stage then and that it's really true it was caught early on.

Michele
I could be wrong, but I don't think a standard Physical and History battery would detect something like colon/liver cancer, unless there were specific tests performed due to symptoms. What troubles me (assuming the tweet is accurate) is the fact that the cancer has spread to the liver, which means that it really wasn't caught at its earliest stages. The big question is whether there is lymph node involvement or other sites of metastases, which makes the prognosis significantly cloudier. I suppose the best we could hope for is that they have caught everything in surgery and that radiation and chemo post-surgery would help to eradicate any residual lesions. And I hope John doesn't have to wear a colostomy for the rest of his life.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think a standard Physical and History battery would detect something like colon/liver cancer, unless there were specific tests performed due to symptoms. What troubles me (assuming the tweet is accurate) is the fact that the cancer has spread to the liver, which means that it really wasn't caught at its earliest stages. The big question is whether there is lymph node involvement or other sites of metastases, which makes the prognosis significantly cloudier. I suppose the best we could hope for is that they have caught everything in surgery and that radiation and chemo post-surgery would help to eradicate any residual lesions. And I hope John doesn't have to wear a colostomy for the rest of his life.
Well, the liver can regenerate if you only have to take a section. Also, if early enough maybe even a transplant is viable. Remember how many healthy and productive years Larry Hagman lived after a transplant.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 10-28-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
What if that's not what John wants them to do? What if he wants them to go on with another bassist (i.e. George Hawkins)?

It's really too early to speculate the band's future. That's probably the furthest thing from their minds right now.
I agree 100% with this whole post. If Mick himself and the rest of the band members (including John) want to go on with out John, later on and after Australia (since that is cancelled), I don't see a reason in hell why they couldn't. Sure, he's the MAC in Fleetwood Mac, but just because we say Fleetwood Mac isn't Fleetwood Mac without him doesn't mean it's true. There can be many variations of Fleetwood Mac, and they can call themselves whatever the heck they want!