Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Ledgie

Default A Greeny list?

OK - I'm going to ask a favor of the Greeny experts around here. I'm still sort of a rookie with collecting Peter's music. Especially the post Mac stuff. I've gotten some of it but I'm still working on it.

Like all of you, I love to listen to a song with Peter singing and playing his guitar. I'd love to put together a CDR of Greeny's post-Mac recordings where he is the one singing, and playing the guitar - or at least a prominent guitar part. With all due respect to the wonderful musicians he's played with, I'd like to be able to pop such a CDR into the player and just listen to Pete.

So if any of you folks might find the time and desire to post such a list I would appreciate it a bunch. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
OK - I'm going to ask a favor of the Greeny experts around here. I'm still sort of a rookie with collecting Peter's music. Especially the post Mac stuff. I've gotten some of it but I'm still working on it.

Like all of you, I love to listen to a song with Peter singing and playing his guitar. I'd love to put together a CDR of Greeny's post-Mac recordings where he is the one singing, and playing the guitar - or at least a prominent guitar part. With all due respect to the wonderful musicians he's played with, I'd like to be able to pop such a CDR into the player and just listen to Pete.

So if any of you folks might find the time and desire to post such a list I would appreciate it a bunch. Thanks.
"In the skies" (1979) is the best album. Pete plays all the lead guitar except on "Slabo day" - that's Snowy white. And they both play lead on the titles track. On "little dreamer", "whatcha gonna do" and "white sky" he plays all the lead guitar, but the material on those albums is not as good (written mainly by his brother). Katmandu (1984) has Peter singing on 3 tracks, but he plays very little guitar.

I'd go for:
"In the skies", "A fool no more", "Tribal dance", "Seven stars" - In the skies (1979)

"Little dreamer", "loser two times" - from "Little dreamer" (1980)

"Last train to san antone" - Whatcha gonna do (1981)

"Shining star", "Falling apart", "White sky" - White sky (1982)

"Who's that knocking" - "Katmandu" album, 1984

Splinter group era - Peter sings and plays fine guitar on the following tracks-

"Lies", "Real world", "Running after you" (slide guitar) - Time traders 2001
"Blues don't change" - from the same album, 2001

And there's great stuff on the Live at Ronnie scott's album, a great version of The Supernatural.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
"In the skies" (1979) is the best album. Pete plays all the lead guitar except on "Slabo day" - that's Snowy white. And they both play lead on the titles track. On "little dreamer", "whatcha gonna do" and "white sky" he plays all the lead guitar, but the material on those albums is not as good (written mainly by his brother). Katmandu (1984) has Peter singing on 3 tracks, but he plays very little guitar.

I'd go for:
"In the skies", "A fool no more", "Tribal dance", "Seven stars" - In the skies (1979)

"Little dreamer", "loser two times" - from "Little dreamer" (1980)

"Last train to san antone" - Whatcha gonna do (1981)

"Shining star", "Falling apart", "White sky" - White sky (1982)

"Who's that knocking" - "Katmandu" album, 1984

Splinter group era - Peter sings and plays fine guitar on the following tracks-

"Lies", "Real world", "Running after you" (slide guitar) - Time traders 2001
"Blues don't change" - from the same album, 2001

And there's great stuff on the Live at Ronnie scott's album, a great version of The Supernatural.
well done d.

i would add...

the version of 'it takes time' from the first splinter group cd. as i recall nigel takes one break but the rest is pete.

'going down' from first splinter group is also a pete showcase. nigel intrudes along the way of course. on these two pete shows fluency lacking in the post-in the skies pvk era.

also 'hitch-hiking woman' from the first splinter group cd is pete alone singing and playing slide. i think it is as intensely felt as 'jumping at shadows' or 'love that burns' from the fm era.

another favorite is from the first of the robert johnson covers cds- 'ramblin on my mind'. recall that pete and nigel recorded a fair bit of material as a duo which was viewed by management as too dark. so subsequently the up tempo and agumented material was recorded (with full band, backup singers etc). 'ramblin' is one of the earlier ones and THE pete showcase on the cd. again he plays slide. and may be overdubbed on acoustic(?)

going back to in the skies, 'funky chunk' is tremendous. there is nothing like it.

i will think of more. great idea tom. i think i'll have to make my own pete cd!

zero
Old 08-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I prefer the Splinter Group remake of "Tribal Dance" over the original In The Skies version.

"Just For You" from In The Skies...one of my fave tunes of the PVK era.

"Born Under A Bad Sign" & "One Woman Love" from the Little Dreamer album

The 45 version of "Apostle" (sure it's an instrumental, but ya gotta have a couple of Peter Green instrumentals per album, right?

From Destiny Road: "Big Change Is Gonna Come"

From Time Traders: "Until The Well Runs Dry"

From Blues Don't Change: "Take Out Some Insurance" & "Honest I Do"

There were a couple of tracks from Reaching The Cold 100, too, but I can't think which ones right at the moment. OH, yeah, "Dangerous Man" & "Ain't Nothing Gonna Change It".

Last edited by chiliD; 08-01-2006 at 05:32 PM..
Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
From Time Traders: "Until The Well Runs Dry"
What about Real World too dude?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
What about Real World too dude?
Dino already mentioned it, so I didn't want to turn into "Captain Redundant".
Old 08-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

The other folks have already given some good advice, so I'll just add a couple of remarks here. Personally I like the White Sky album as much as In The Skies, but furthermore I'd advice you to the first album after he quit Fleetwood Mac: The End of the Game. Peter himself is not very content with this album, but it does show him at his best on improvising on themes, searching for what he wants with making music. Good luck
Old 08-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk
The other folks have already given some good advice, so I'll just add a couple of remarks here. Personally I like the White Sky album as much as In The Skies, but furthermore I'd advice you to the first album after he quit Fleetwood Mac: The End of the Game. Peter himself is not very content with this album, but it does show him at his best on improvising on themes, searching for what he wants with making music. Good luck

Man..that was hard!
I just burned myself a "post mac-green" cd. "The end of the game" is a great great album, but I think it should be listened to as a whole. And the 2 singles Green cut in '71-'72 really belong to that era too.

Here's my attempt:

Seven stars - In the skies (1979)
The Apostle - single version 1978
Ain't Nothing Gonna Change It - Reaching... (2003)
It takes time - Splinter group (1997)
Real world - Time traders (2001)
In the skies - In the skies (1979)
A fool no more - In the skies (1979)
Blues don't change - from the same album, 2001
Hitch hiking woman - Splinter group (1997) (I agree, it's amazing)
Shining star - White sky (1982)
The supernatural - Live at ronnie scott's (1999)
Loser two times - Little dreamer (1980)
Goin' down - Live at ronnie scott's (1999) - the 1997 version might be better?
Lies - Time traders 2001 (good example of green's "new" style on this)
Tribal dance - Destiny road (1998) (almost as good as on "In the skies)
Ramblin' on my mind - Robert Johnson songbook (1998?) - Yeah, it's great!
Little dreamer - from same album 1980 - fitting to end with a lullaby

That should give a good representation of the two Green "comebacks". had to leave off Funky Chunk, San antone etc., and there's no example of his splinter era slide playing ...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come on, I want to see other suggestions for the best of Greeny post-Mac!

On the Rumours forum they can post 50 comments on Stevie Nicks's skirt, surely this is more interesting?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
surely this is more interesting?
Of course it is, but stop calling me Shirley.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Ledgie

Wow! Great input, thanks very much. I wasn't sure that I was going to get much of a response but you guys came through.