The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The Vice Presidential Debate: Who Watched It?

Alright, so who watched this.

I did, and I was surprised because Sarah Palin did much better than I thought she would, and I think much of the nation agrees with that.

That being said, I think Biden won the thing. That man knows his stuff, and can rattle off points like none other, and that is a good thing.

GO OBAMA BIDEN!!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't watch, which is a surprise for anyone who knows me. I have finally decided to lay back. I can't stop screaming at McCan't/Palin because every time they ope their mouth, they say something that is not true or really disrespectful. I get so mad every time I just think about Palin. So I wont watch too many of the debates from here on out.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
I get so mad every time I just think about Palin. So I wont watch too many of the debates from here on out.
Be glad you didn't watch last night, then. She is ridiculous. RIDICULOUS. She crammed for this like a college student cramming for finals. She was able to answer questions intelligently, but was winking at the camera and making phony facial expressions while saying things like "Joe 6-pack" and "soccer mom". She was also able to muster a faux Southern accent at different points in the debate; I guess when she was attempting to appear like a human being?

Fortunately, it's the only VP debate. Seriously, I'm just ready to get this **** over with.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

no i didn't watch it.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mooseilini is annoying as hell and that is even without taking into consideration her extreme and myopic policies..The good news is this: McCain /Palin are at this point rearranging chairs on a ship that is gong down..I look for them to start going nasty in a Rovian swiftboating way but I don't think even that will salvage them now..Middle America is finally catching on just what the Chimp and his crew have done to us and that McCain/Palin will continue too manyof his idiotic policies.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was enjoying a Linds show .
Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Biden was terrific. Very sharp and very much in command of policy. I thought he was smart in choosing not to attack Palin personally. He did, however, hammer McCain effectively. I wish he were at the top of the ticket.

I thought Palin overdid the "folksiness." I guess some people buy into that, though. I personally thought she came across better when she was actually using her own thoughts as opposed to the Republican talking points. She also did a very poor job defending McCain. Obviously, there's not much to defend there, but she is his running mate and failed to counter any of Biden's attacks, which is her job to do so. Most of that is attributed to Biden's effectiveness, but she could have at least said something, anything...even if it were about stem cell research or the fact that McCain is one step up on Bush for at least admitting global warming is real.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
...but she could have at least said something, anything...even if it were about stem cell research or the fact that McCain is one step up on Bush for at least admitting global warming is real.
If she wasn't coached to do so...
Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
If she wasn't coached to do so...
I know, but I still can't believe she can't think on her feet a little. Like the magazine question from Couric, how hard was it to say Newsweek, Time?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I watched it. Both did well, IMO.

However, I have to say that Biden did make one mistake that even my law students pointed out to me as being an error. Despite having been a senator longer than I have been alive, and being a lawyer before that, he apparentely does not know where in the Constitution it discusses the VP role. When questioned about the role of the VP, he said it is grounded in the Executive branch of government (which IS correct), and that anyone who looks at Article I of the Constitution can see that (which is incorrect). Article I is the Legislative branch of government; Article II is the Executive branch.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Ledgie

Joe Biden defffinitely was the better debater. However, you're right, Palin did better than expected. She still has no idea what she's doing and is a complete joke, but she did alright.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well the nasty vile personal attacks from the McCain camp have predictably begun..Today Palin accused Obama of "paling around with terrorist" beacuse he lived next door to an anti-Vietnam war activist..Thanks Sarah you just got Obama another $100 donation to his campaign!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Anti-Vietnam war activist" is a very nice way of describing William Ayers. And it's not so benign as Obama just living next door to him. Obama had his "coming out" party, so to speak, at William Ayers' house. It was the event in the nineties where Obama was personally ushered into the world of Chicago politics. They served on the same board together for five years, and it wasn't by happenstance. They had a significant relationship. Obama acts like they weren't close, but they had a close enough personal relationship for Obama to read and endorse a book written by Ayers.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
"Anti-Vietnam war activist" is a very nice way of describing William Ayers. And it's not so benign as Obama just living next door to him. Obama had his "coming out" party, so to speak, at William Ayers' house. It was the event in the nineties where Obama was personally ushered into the world of Chicago politics. They served on the same board together for five years, and it wasn't by happenstance. They had a significant relationship. Obama acts like they weren't close, but they had a close enough personal relationship for Obama to read and endorse a book written by Ayers.
But Obama has announced Ayers' actions. All us have friends that do/did stupid things, everythig is just on a larger scale in politics
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
But Obama has announced Ayers' actions. All us have friends that do/did stupid things, everythig is just on a larger scale in politics
And an activist does not equal a terrorist.

I watched the second half of the debate but only half paid attention. That's all the attention I can give without screaming at the idiocy that is Palin. Tina Fey again did a perfect job playing her last night on SNL. She was winking, doing talking points, the folksy thing, etc. And Queen Latifa was BRILLIANT as moderator.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...-biden/727421/