User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark View Post
so are you saying that you think it's normal, like, no big deal, if parents call their kids names and abuse them mentally and verbally? do you think, if that IS what you believe, you have that attitude because that was normal in your world?
WORD.

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it alright to happen to other people also. I don't really get that supposed logic. My mother terrorized my life for years also after SHE ran off and left me and my sister to live with my dad. My dad never came anywhere close to what Kim Basinger is doing, except trying to stay away from my crazy mom as far as possible, but she still managed to weazle herself in here and there and her favorite method of abuse was the mental/verbal one. I, too, have heard this **** Alec Baldwin spewed at his daughter, but I am still digusted by it. I would never say 'so, what, I've heard worse' and therefore don't think this is a big deal.

However, I also think we're not getting the whole story here.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll join the line of people here who've had similar experiences and say this is verbal abuse.
But I changed channels when I heard some of it on CNN, I did not need to actually hear that. And I don't need to know more about it.. it's their personal lives. I really really hope they sort it out in the best interest of the girl, but this over-the-top media attention just feels wrong to me. Just imagine being that girl right now?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I certainly wouldn't want to take calls from my dad either if this is how he talked to me! I don't care how bratty a child is or how angry a child makes a parent, parents are responsible for controlling themselves. Stuff like this stays with a kid, even if it's only a once in a while thing. Not only does it hurt, it fukcs with self image and identity as children grow, and then impacts future relationships.

I didn't get anything close to this from my dad--he just told me I was fat every once in a while and tried to preach to me constantly about his wacky religious beliefs. And I can see how even that has affected me to this day. I think part of parents' jobs--along with raising their kids to be decent people--is to try to leave their children with as few scars, and to a lesser extent, issues to work out later in life, as possible.

It's really amazing how narcissistic Mr. Baldwin is being about this too... As if we're supposed to feel sorry that he's been "put through so much." Yeah, verbal abuse is not okay, no matter how screwed up your relationship with your ex is. Adults need to conduct themselves as such, straighten out their messy relationships, and leave their kids out of it. (That goes for Ms. Basinger too, though if she is trying to protect her child from a pattern of damaging behavior, she deserves some leeway).

Last edited by Sorceress; 04-22-2007 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: I took so damn long to post this that lots of people had responded already.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Regardless of how bad of child this girl might be...the sad thing is, that girl will forever remember those words.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:15 PM
BTFLCHLD
This message has been deleted by BTFLCHLD.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I think what he said to his daughter was pretty rough but I also think that all parents make massive mistakes. That tape never should have made it to the public- it's absolutely none of our business.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Regardless of how bad of child this girl might be...the sad thing is, that girl will forever remember those words.
She'll always remember that the whole world heard those word too.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I think what he said to his daughter was pretty rough but I also think that all parents make massive mistakes. That tape never should have made it to the public- it's absolutely none of our business.
This I absolutely agree with - and to think this is everywhere as friggin NEWS!!! And on the "entertainment shows" as entertainment...

I don't think his wife had anything to do with leaking it... but I bet she saved it and submitted it to her lawyers as part of whatever they are dealing with in their case... and that's probably where the leak came from.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

Oh I totally think she leaked it...or at least knew about it/had something to do with it.

Oh and I read this article which I agree with:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=259626&GT1=7701
Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
^^

Oh I totally think she leaked it...or at least knew about it/had something to do with it.

Interesting article- thank you for posting it.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^

Oh I totally think she leaked it...or at least knew about it/had something to do with it. . . . [/url]
There is no way her lawyers would have it unless she gave it to them. Ditto for the person who leaked it. Parents in divorces are asshol*s.

Kim was responsibe for making sure Ireland was there for the phone call. Ireland was not there for this one or other ones. How fukced up is that - to use an 11 year old girl like that - pathetic no matter how abhhorent Alec B.'s actions were. Moreover, AB is an IDIOT for falling for that trap, which is a classic one.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^

interesting article, but i find the analysis a little too precious.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i dunno...I just find it .....confusing that people are saying "this happened to me..so it's o.k."

I'm not trying to start ****, but I would think those people would be even MORE compassionate about this

but that's just me.

it's kinda like-cancer. it's not. but I'm an "analogy" kinda girl. You wish they would find a cure, but you're not going to any great lengths. until YOU or someone very close to you has it....it just hits a little closer to home.

again....that's just me
Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I still don't give a fukc about them, and never did.

No, I'm saying that a bigger deal is being made out of it than it really is, especially since it looks like Basinger may have set this up and then leaked it to the press.
no one forced the doofus to use that language there's no excuse for what he did and Kim is right: the tape speaks for itself. If thats how a loving dad talks to his darling daughter, all I can say is, if I were Ireland, I wouldnt have been available for the touching phone call either.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

I'm not really saying it was "ok" But I think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill. And that, I think, was the intent.

He was pushed to this point, and yes as an adult he should have known better - but we ALL lose our heads. And if anyone here can honestly say they've never said ugly things to someone else in extreme frustration and anger, I'd like to meet you - because I know I sure as hell have, many times.

Now, it IS his kid - but again, I think this blow-up was born of frustration and deep hurt. I don't think he's "abusive" and he's not shown any signs of being a repeatedly abusive person or father...

I guess what my take is that this could have been handled differently by him, he's the adult. BUT I do see his side and where he's coming from....

And from all indications THIS IS NOT THE WAY HE NORMALLY TALKS TO HER! I'm so sick of the "I wouldn't have answered the phone either" Well...apparently, she never DOES answer the phone, because mummy sees to that...both the kid's parents are cracked, but everyone crying that Alec Baldwin is an abusive father is out of line, in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
i dunno...I just find it .....confusing that people are saying "this happened to me..so it's o.k."

I'm not trying to start ****, but I would think those people would be even MORE compassionate about this

but that's just me.

it's kinda like-cancer. it's not. but I'm an "analogy" kinda girl. You wish they would find a cure, but you're not going to any great lengths. until YOU or someone very close to you has it....it just hits a little closer to home.

again....that's just me
sorta like the Domestic Violence issue. people looked the other way until Nicole Simpson's Sister and Parents spearheaded a public awareness campaign.

plus, I think he is a control freak...who else would fly all the way across country just to "straighten [her] out?"

Last edited by irishgrl; 04-23-2007 at 08:01 PM..
Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl View Post
no one forced the doofus to use that language there's no excuse for what he did and Kim is right: the tape speaks for itself. If thats how a loving dad talks to his darling daughter, all I can say is, if I were Ireland, I wouldnt have been available for the touching phone call either.
No one is perfect and parents speak poorly to their kids in far saner circumstances Yes, he spoke harshly to her, but imagine yourself in that position - I think it would test the strongest of us.

Just curious - do you fault Kim at all for making Ireland unavailable (likely in conflict with at court order) and deliberately using this to trick the idiot AB. Clearly you know she was doing this classic ploy?