User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
PETA never boycotted The Passion of the Christ, I don't know where you're getting you misinformation.
A controversial animal rights group recently staged a demonstration featuring a 10-foot-tall "Jesus" model in London at the opening of "The Passion of the Christ" movie, asking film maker and actor Mel Gibson to show "compassion" to animals.

A press release issued by the group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) read that the "Jesus" model would "rise above the crowd at the opening of ‘The Passion of the Christ' to protest the suffering of animals raised and killed for food on ranches like Mel Gibson's in Montana, and to encourage moviegoers to adopt a diet that is respectful of all God's creation."

Also part of the demonstration were "people holding signs reading, ‘For Christ's Sake—Go Veggie!,' ‘Blessed Are the Merciful' and ‘Thou Shalt Not Kill,' as well as activists handing out vegetarian starter kits and leaflets titled ‘Honoring All of God's Creation.'"

A request for comment to Gibson's Icon Productions was not immediately answered.

PETA has also used the same demonstration tactic across the United States at the premieres of "The Passion of the Christ" in San Francisco, Seattle and Washington.

Apparently comparing the suffering experienced by Jesus in His final moments of agony to the suffering endured by animals, the release read that "‘The Passion of the Christ' focuses on Jesus' suffering in the final hours of his life. PETA wants everyone who eats meat to consider that suffering is an everyday reality for cows and other animals on farms and feedlots and, ultimately, in abattoirs. Cows are routinely dehorned and males are castrated without pain relief, deprived of their young and treated as commodities. As whistle blowers and veterinarian inspectors have attested, abattoir workers often resort to scalding, skinning and dismembering fully conscious animals in order to keep production lines moving."

In an e-mail interview, PETA spokesman William Rivas-Rivas said that PETA is neither trying to insult Christians with its message or be in any way blasphemous.

He said, "PETA is demonstrating because we want people to know that eating meat promotes gratuitous cruelty and suffering. We're asking people who oppose violence and injustice to extend their compassion to all God's creatures by adopting a vegetarian diet. More than 25 billion animals are killed for food every year in the United States. Pigs, cows, and chickens are individuals with feelings—they can feel love, happiness, loneliness, and fear, just as dogs, cats, and people do."

Rivas-Rivas added, "What is unsettling is that Christians, who follow the prince of peace, would support cruelty to animals every time they sit down to eat. There is nothing disrespectful about calling people to be more compassionate and merciful. This is Jesus' message. What is disrespectful and heretical is the way God's creatures are treated on factory farms and in slaughterhouses."

Every time Christians sit down to eat they have a choice, Rivas-Rivas said.

"(They can) add to the level of violence, misery, and death in the world, or to attempt to live peacefully with all God's creation. Everyone, especially people of faith should show mercy to the most weak, powerless and vulnerable among us—animals. We believe that Christians should reject all cruelty and violence and go vegetarian," he said.

According to Rivas-Rivas, "The meat industry today treats God's creatures like dirt, rather than God's beloved animals. The meat industries never allow these animals to do anything that is natural to them—they are never able to feel the grass beneath their feet, the sun on their faces, or fresh air. They endure mutilation—chicks have their beaks burned off, cows and pigs are castrated without anesthesia, cows are dehorned and branded, and the list goes on—all without any painkillers. To subject animals to such cruelty, simply for a palate preference, makes a mockery of God by showing such complete contempt for his creatures."

Jeremy Reynalds

Ok so here is the article...guess you're the one who don't know what you're talking about...
Old 02-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
AOk so here is the article...guess you're the one who don't know what you're talking about...
Did you actually read what you just posted? Nowhere in it are they boycotting The Passion of the Christ. They're holding a demonstration against Mel Gibson's slaughtering animals at his Montana farm.

Being a member of PETA, I think I would have gotten the newsletter asking for us to follow a boycott against the movie.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did you actually read what you just posted? Nowhere in it are they boycotting The Passion of the Christ. They're holding a demonstration against Mel Gibson's slaughtering animals at his Montana farm.

Being a member of PETA, I think I would have gotten the newsletter asking for us to follow a boycott against the movie.
YOU WILL NEVER admitt being wrong will you? NEVER...

I don't even know why I tried....

stupid me.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
YOU WILL NEVER admitt being wrong will you? NEVER...

I don't even know why I tried....

stupid me.
Where in that article (with no link, mind you) is PETA attempting to stage a boycott against The Passion of the Christ?

Old 02-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking I would like to be a...

Quote:
OMG. I'm a PETA member and you have no clue what you're even talking about. What a load of **** and you know it.
PETA member just to find out who the beautiful/sexy & quite nude lady was who painted herself head-to-toe like a tiger and placed herself in a cage near the Ford Center to protest the treatment of circus animals by the Ringling Bros/Barnum-Bailey Circus...

Get me her phone # and I will be a HAPPY member for life (Don't think the wife would like that though)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
You just said something along the lines of "they're chickens, not human beings!". That would imply that their treatment isn't required to be above certain standards. You keep inferring that we don't realise they will be slaughtered. Of course we know that, I'm well aware that my meat is in fact dead. Simply because they're going to be slaughtered doesn't mean it's ridiculous to request that they be subjected to a certain level of treatment.
and I agree. If the statements in the video DO happen to be 100% true, then I agree...steps should be made to make it more respectful to the chickens and sanitary.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Where in that article (with no link, mind you) is PETA attempting to stage a boycott against The Passion of the Christ?
My God now you want a link...well hold on!
Old 02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Lux
Old 02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Well there's some truth to that but if he's going to admit to being wrong he should atleast attempt it in a case when he is actually wrong. If you read the article you presented, you'd realise that they were not boycotting that film. It was a protest directed at Mel Gibson.
Yes, and by protesting against Mr. Gibson they were infact saying..."hey, if you watch this movie...you are not with us!" So do you think they would have supported folks seeing this film?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think he [Sharpton] has a great point. I will never, ever eat there ever again. Meat is murder, etc.

Last edited by xdreamsunwindx; 02-02-2005 at 03:02 PM..
Old 02-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Resort to the name calling. Gee isn't there mod's here AT ALL? I guess all poster bashing is allowed...
When it is deserved. What rock did YOU crawl out from? Take a hike!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My God now you want a link...well hold on!
I also want a link to the video addendum where Sharpton says he's cool with pork rinds and chitlins, too.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdreamsunwindx
I think he has a great point. I will never, ever eat there ever again. Meat is murder, etc.
Me, too. It sucks, cause i occasionally like to get Taco Bell, but...Even though i like it, I definitely think I can "help" eating there. You know, i'll just eat something else? Not that hard, really...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
When it is deserved. What rock did YOU crawl out from? Take a hike!
haha...

oh just shut up please...

this is only the second post you have ever posted to me..and every single one of them has been an insult...

Old 02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well I think we've all established that Brwn_eyes has no reading comprehension skills
Old 02-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Well I think we've all established that Brwn_eyes has no reading comprehension skills
http://mensnewsdaily.com/archive/r/r...alds032504.htm

http://www.thegreatseparation.com/ne...rotesting.html

I read it and understood it....

GOD...im so sick of this same response that I get everytime

They f*ckin protested at the opening of the movie...so don't tell me what they weren't doing it..

SHUT UP!

Last edited by Brwn_eyes0511; 02-02-2005 at 03:08 PM..
Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Lux