Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-31-2003, 05:56 AM
Junior Ledgie

Cool Stevie baffled by her own lyrics!

On the "Miranda" lyrics thread, I wrote:

Quote:
When Stevie sings "Rulers make bad lovers, you'd better put your kingdom up for sale", I think we all know she's talking about Lindsey!
To which Les replied:

Quote:
Hmmm, well, I guess some people think that. Stevie has actually talked about that line in relation to herself.
This confirms what I've long suspected: Stevie doesn't understand her lyrics any better than the rest of us!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

There is definitely an overiding element of ambiguity and equivocation in a lot of Stevie's, and now Lindsey's, lyrics.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:37 AM
Ledgie

There have been a few things that Stevie has said that have confused me because they appeared to be contradictory to things she had said before. For example, when she says that she has never been married and had children, when we all know she was married to Kim Anderson at one point. I mean, it may not have been the greatest of marriages in terms of success, but it's not like it's something you can completely dismiss!

Love Gem

Old 05-31-2003, 09:06 AM
Ledgie

They were married for such a short amount of time though right? It didn't last a year did it? I guess she doesn't really regard herself as haveing spent time in a marriage. I think that marriage was so quick she never really considered herself to be married.

Also I'd heard that "Rulers make bad lovers" think that she had written it about herself. I think it was an interview in some magazine back in 1997 when Courtney Love was interviewing her.

Stevie said that some of her lyrics are pulled from her journal or situations that were happening and she said it had been so long since she had read her journal back that far she couldn't remember excatally why she wrote that lyric saying she'd need to go back and look in her journal again.

So I think at one point she knew perfectly well what she was talking about but over the years I think she forgot the specifics line for line and where she came up with them.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gypsygem81
There have been a few things that Stevie has said that have confused me because they appeared to be contradictory to things she had said before. For example, when she says that she has never been married and had children, when we all know she was married to Kim Anderson at one point. I mean, it may not have been the greatest of marriages in terms of success, but it's not like it's something you can completely dismiss!

Love Gem
I bet Stevie does not consider it a marriage because I can't imagine that (under the circumstances) it was ever consummated. Plus it was short, plus romantic Stevie probably envisions marriage-as-forever (or at least dramatic long-term break-ups a la her & Lindsey), but she and Kim have had no contact in years (that anybody can confirm)

- Jake
Old 05-31-2003, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gypsygem81
That irked me too Gem, but then consider that OOTC radio interview where Lindsey is asked about his brother, who had just died, so instead of saying 'Yeah he's dead' he just sort of said "yeah, I have a brother". Maybe, same as with the Anderson 'marriage', they think that if it's obscure and traumatic enough, they can shove it under the carpet for the sake of convenience and act like it never happened for the sake of PR and their public persona.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagles Mac
Sorry Bob but Lindsey and Stevie we're never married...They might have lived as a Common Law Couple but they were never legally married nor were there any Legal Docs to back this up....

Remember the Early 70's were the a part of the Sexual Revolution and living together was not the big sin it was in the 50's and 60's....

So Stevie and Lindsey were never ever married....

Perhaps you're thinking of that brief marriage she had with Kim Anderson who was a bit of a religious nut. She married him out of sympathy for her late girlfriend Robin....
I never said Lindsey and Stevie were married, we were talking about Stevie and Kim, the widower of her best friend that died of Cancer back in the early 80s.

And it's Rob, not Bob.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
That irked me too Gem, but then consider that OOTC radio interview where Lindsey is asked about his brother, who had just died, so instead of saying 'Yeah he's dead' he just sort of said "yeah, I have a brother". Maybe, same as with the Anderson 'marriage', they think that if it's obscure and traumatic enough, they can shove it under the carpet for the sake of convenience and act like it never happened for the sake of PR and their public persona.
I guess she does it to avoid talking about it in interviews. It just always seemed a bit odd to me that she would just outright say that she wasn't married, when she blatently was, even if it were only for a short amount of time and may not have been the most conventional of marriages.

Love Gem