Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The story of Whenever I Call You Friend

I guess Kenny Loggins and Melissa Manchester used to see each other at award shows all the time, so they decided to get together and write a song. The song ended up being Whenever I Call You Friend. Melissa would later say that Kenny wanted to record it with Stevie because she was the hottest female artist at the time. Melissa would later do her own more subdued version, but it would not become popular.

Anyway, Kenny credited Stevie with the song as a Duet on the album, but when he released the single he didn't put her name on it. In effect, he didn't give her duet credit her for the single. So even though, Stevie sings half the song and the song was a top #5 smash, she never got any credit for it in the record books. It is one of the biggest oddities in chart history I think. Whenever I Call You Friend was Kenny's first solo hit; Stevie had the bigger name and helped get that song played. Disc Jockeys called her the harmony vocal. Huh? The song is definite duet, which is the way it is credited on his album Nightwatch. Definitely not fair and needs to be set right.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Registered

She obviously did not know about change a word get a third
Old 04-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not about money. It's about credit. How can you give someone credit on the the album but not the single. Ridiculous.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Registered

Couldn't have bothered her too much,she sang a bit of it on up all night with Maya Rudolph
Old 04-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Couldn't have bothered her too much,she sang a bit of it on up all night with Maya Rudolph
And IMHO this was her BEST ever TV appearance -that unfortunately no one ever seems to remember
Ricoh
Old 04-02-2016, 06:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
And IMHO this was her BEST ever TV appearance -that unfortunately no one ever seems to remember
Ricoh
" that's why we have reminders "

she is not in this but the song Sleeping Angel is used

Old 04-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks Olive ! *Ricoh*
Old 04-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

love how they did her hair in that last shot
Old 04-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ummm, ok, has nothing to do with the topic
Old 04-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've read and heard comments that Stevie and Kenny have made separately regarding the recording sessions for "Whenever I Call You Friend". Stevie and Kenny met when HE was opening for Fleetwood Mac on the "Rumours" tour right after he had gone solo.

Kenny invited Stevie to sing on the song. The recording sessions reportedly became tense due to his EFFICIENCY and WORK ETHIC, and Stevie's lack thereof. Kenny's style was, GET INTO THE STUDIO, WORK HARD, put your nose to the grind and get the session done. Stevie had become accustomed to FM's laissez-faire style.

Kenny once said Stevie would show up for the session hours late. "Oh, Stevie, you don't feel like singing today, ok guys, let's cancel the session." In turn, she called him a "slave driver". Obviously, the friction produced a great vocal performance and a top 5 hit.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I've read and heard comments that Stevie and Kenny have made separately regarding the recording sessions for "Whenever I Call You Friend". Stevie and Kenny met when HE was opening for Fleetwood Mac on the "Rumours" tour right after he had gone solo.

Kenny invited Stevie to sing on the song. The recording sessions reportedly became tense due to his EFFICIENCY and WORK ETHIC, and Stevie's lack thereof. Kenny's style was, GET INTO THE STUDIO, WORK HARD, put your nose to the grind and get the session done. Stevie had become accustomed to FM's laissez-faire style.

Kenny once said Stevie would show up for the session hours late. "Oh, Stevie, you don't feel like singing today, ok guys, let's cancel the session." In turn, she called him a "slave driver". Obviously, the friction produced a great vocal performance and a top 5 hit.
Yeah but it wasn't a Top 5 hit for her.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Ledgie

I have this album on vinyl. In the credits, it lists her as "harmony vocal."

When Stevie and Lindsey joined FB, I understand that they were signed to WB as members of the Mac, but not for their individual careers, as might be expected. This likely left them free to do a lot of guest appearances in the late 1970s without needing label permission (Walter Egan, John Stewart, Todd Rundgren, Warren Zevon).

I've thought that Stevie definitely deserved full duet credit on "Whenever I Call You 'Friend'." And she surely could have demanded it. But maybe she wasn't at the stage of her solo career where there was somebody was managing her individual interests. To her, maybe it was just one more guest spot. Since she didn't write the song, she may not have considered it enough of her own to launch her solo brand.

There are other famous examples of this type of uncredited duet where there is no mention of the other artist on the single label as an artist (though in some cases they are credited for co-writing or production):

* "U Got the Look" (Prince w/Sheena Easton)
* "Wrap Her Up" (Elton John w/ George Michael)
* "Tonight" (David Bowie w/Tina Turner) - I've read she was at the height of her popularity when this came out and there was concern this minor hit could detract from her better solo singles
* "Money for Nothing" (Dire Straits w/ Sting) - today this would easily earned a "featuring" credit; Sting is all over it
* "Eaten Alive" (Diana Ross w/ Michael Jackson) - Michael drowns out Diana through most of the song
* "A Love Bizarre" (Sheila E. w/ Prince) - Prince's guest vocals gave this song most of its personality

There are surely other cases. But few as puzzling as "Whenever I Call You 'Friend'"

I like the song, but it is kind of cheesy. Maybe Stevie was right to maintain a little mystery in this case. It's made for interesting music trivia.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
* "Eaten Alive" (Diana Ross w/ Michael Jackson) - Michael drowns out Diana through most of the song
This reminds me of Rockwell's Somebody's Watching Me. Truly, it wasn't a duet. Michael really was in the background, but his background vocal stole the song.

Of course, I guess the same could be said of Stevie on Magnet and Steel.

Michele
Old 04-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This reminds me of Rockwell's Somebody's Watching Me. Truly, it wasn't a duet. Michael really was in the background, but his background vocal stole the song.

Of course, I guess the same could be said of Stevie on Magnet and Steel.

Michele
Also, Stevie isn't credited on the "Streets Of Fire" version of Sorcerer, even though she sings solo in several parts and, by the end of the song before it fades, basically takes over. LOL!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Also, Stevie isn't credited on the "Streets Of Fire" version of Sorcerer, even though she sings solo in several parts and, by the end of the song before it fades, basically takes over. LOL!

I absolutely adore this version of Sorcerer, and wish Stevie sang lead vocals.
To hear you