The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Do you think she ever felt Overshadowed?

I've noticed that I really like Chris' voice, I think it is cause of the accent, and she has a smoother voice I guess you could say compared to Stevie's. And also her songs are usually really upbeat and fun. But my question is do you think maybe she felt like Stevie overshadowed her? Just curious....

Old 09-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that by the time Stevie Nicks had reached the level of commanding much of the audience & publicity attention, Fleetwood Mac had already been touring for awhile & Christine was probably well adjusted to the attention Nicks was getting.

If Chris felt overshadowed, I don't think it was onstage but in the publicity coverage. But even if she did feel that way every so often, it doesn't seem to have bothered her much.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think that by the time Stevie Nicks had reached the level of commanding much of the audience & publicity attention, Fleetwood Mac had already been touring for awhile & Christine was probably well adjusted to the attention Nicks was getting.

If Chris felt overshadowed, I don't think it was onstage but in the publicity coverage. But even if she did feel that way every so often, it doesn't seem to have bothered her much.
Ahh, makes sense. But it seems like she wasn't someone who got much publicity to begin with other than with the divorce from John. It doesn't seem like she had as much to deal with as the others such as drugs although I think I read that she used to have to drink before performing? Because of stage fright i think? Maybe I should say negative publicity? Idk, i think it sad she left from buying The Dance cd yesterday and listening to it, I realized how good they sounded with her voice!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
Ahh, makes sense. But it seems like she wasn't someone who got much publicity to begin with other than with the divorce from John. It doesn't seem like she had as much to deal with as the others such as drugs although I think I read that she used to have to drink before performing? Because of stage fright i think?
She had a drink before performing, after performing and during performing.

Since her songs were often the group's chart hits, I don't think she felt overshadowed in that sense. They weren't offering her the magazine covers, but people couldn't ignore her contributions. She was certainly a power in the studio with the guys, while Stevie wasn't.

She did once say that her regrets about FM were Lindsey leaving and not having a #1 song herself, like Stevie did with Dreams. So, she had that aspiration. But other than maybe a passing twinge or so on stage, I wouldn't imagine she felt overshadowed.

Michele
Old 09-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
I've noticed that I really like Chris' voice, I think it is cause of the accent, and she has a smoother voice I guess you could say compared to Stevie's. And also her songs are usually really upbeat and fun. But my question is do you think maybe she felt like Stevie overshadowed her? Just curious....
Maybe that just wasn't her thing.

I've always imagined Chris being above all the hubbub regarding who got what magazine cover and petty stuff like that.
She seemed low-key and reserved, as opposed to Stevie who loves the attention and spotlight.
So maybe just didn't didn't give a rats ass

plus, its not like she didn't get paid lol
Old 09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Ledgie

Personally I think she's like most people who do all the grunt work and someone else gets the applause and glory. The majority of the bands' hits were her songs but all people talked about were Stevie and Lindsay. Did Chris ever get any major magazine covers by herself? I don't remember any. It was always Stevie. Chris once said in an interview she considers herself part of the "backline" (meaning with Mick and John) and not part of the "frontline" (with Stevie and Lindsay). She never looked to draw attention to herself. She always considered herself PART of the band.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcl1964 View Post
Did Chris ever get any major magazine covers by herself? I don't remember any.
When she had her hit in 1969-1970, she got cover stories in England's Melody Maker. Later in the 1970s, she had a few cover stories, like the one in 1980 for Contemporary Keyboard. In 1984, the year of her solo album, she got a few cover stories, too, like BAM & Songwriter Connection. Some of these zines were just trashy publicity, but others were serious profiles (like the one in Contemporary Keyboard & BAM).

Stevie got a lot more cover coverage, but for the most part not until she started her solo career in 1981. In the late 1970s, Chris & Stevie were buzzed over more in Fleetwood Mac than Lindsey was (although the critics' contingent loved him).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcl1964 View Post
Personally I think she's like most people who do all the grunt work and someone else gets the applause and glory. The majority of the bands' hits were her songs but all people talked about were Stevie and Lindsay. Did Chris ever get any major magazine covers by herself? I don't remember any. It was always Stevie. Chris once said in an interview she considers herself part of the "backline" (meaning with Mick and John) and not part of the "frontline" (with Stevie and Lindsay). She never looked to draw attention to herself. She always considered herself PART of the band.

exactly! she was a musician first and everything else second.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Chris & Stevie were buzzed over more in Fleetwood Mac than Lindsey was (although the critics' contingent loved him).
I got a kick out of those 1975 Los Angeles Times reviews I posted where they praised Christine and complained about Lindsey's showiness. Thank goodness he grew out of that! Stevie wasn't even a factor for the reviewers at the time, although one did call Lindsey by her name.

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac's music is predominantly sedate (when not bland) rather than explosive, but the inclusion of some earlier, blues-based material, while adding a bit of fire, spotlights the band's two unreconcilable sides: the stately, purposeful qualities of McVie on one side and, on the other, the rougher, rather ordinary guitar and vocal work of Lindsey Buckingham, whose long turn in the macho rock-star role tends to eclipse his cohorts' more noteworthy elements.
Quote:
Nicks' lead guitar is competent but unremarkable and is accompanied by incongruously showy moves, a combination whose effect is blustery rather than powerful.
Quote:
It's fortunate, then, that Christine McVie is on hand to lend dignity and musical dimension to the proceedings. Her rich keyboard work and superb singing imbue all the band's music with a sense of quality which is its real saving grace. On the slightly accelerated ballads that are her forte, the music attains a grace and character which further highlight the mainstream of the Mac's other side.

Michele
Old 09-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine wasn't getting a heck of a lot of coverage before 1975--despite respectable reviews that recognized her voice and composition skills. I'm sure when the band became huge, whatever coverage she did get was more than she could have ever imagined possible.

In terms of stage presence, she has said again and again that she thoroughly enjoyed playing with the rhythm section and would prefer this to the role Stevie played on stage.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 PM

I honestly believe Christine was always right where she wanted to be.

I think she got annoyed that people would think she felt jealous or overshadowed. People often like to project their feelings on others.. (not directing this at GoldustWoman) I think reporters and fans alike always assumed she wanted the same adoration that Stevie received. And in retrospect, I believe Christine saw what being famous meant and wanted quite the opposite life.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think she felt overshadowed by Stevie. I think she was confident in her ability as a musician and didn't consider Stevie to be a threat musically.

Stevie has always said Christine was like her big sister and I think Christine felt the same. Sometimes when you're the little sister your big sister bosses you around and it's really irritating. Equally when you're the big sister your younger sister can be a real pain - always trailing around after you and wanting to do what you do.

I always think Christine is a musician and Stevie is a rock star.

Gail
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Mmmh it all makes sense!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Ledgie

[

I always think Christine is a musician and Stevie is a rock star.

Gail[/QUOTE]

I think this pretty much sums it up.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This whole discussion makes me think of the Tusk Documentary, and when Christine was asked what it's like to be a rock and roll sex symbol. She just plaintively answered: "I don't know, ask Stevie Nicks." I don't think there was any bitterness at all in the response, she just kinda laughed and smirked. I almost think she looked down on people who were more about image and less about music.