User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I think at this point...the best thing to do would be to replace the two knobs (the one that is scuffed and the one that is crooked)...and I dont know if they will put a new neck on it. I requested the slimmest neck he has, but its chunkier than a LP neck...so I'm not quite sure they got that right either.

~B~

The knobs are no problem. Rick should mail them out in a week or so (I got some replacements in a couple of weeks). The neck is a puzzle.

Firstly they can't just put a new neck on it. Its easier to build a new guitar than to change a neck. Trust me on this, I'm an expert now, its very complex to construct these things..

I always assumed there was only one size neck. Not sure what you were told by Rick and Barry. The Turner neck is pretty hefty. Its a five piece laminate of purple heart and rock maple and has two graphite rods in it as well as the truss rod. Its technically near to impossible to get a slim neck on one I would think. Yeah the neck is thicker than a Les Paul. Thats one of the things that takes time to get used to. I've got pretty big hands so its not too bad (although I prefer the slimmest Strat necks going). If you take your hands off the guitar on a strap the neck should slump downwards.. Its very neck heavy cos there is so much in its construction. The body is very light. So yeah, I'm pretty certain all Model 1's have the same neck size. Its just a trait of the guitar.

Don't worry, all the symptoms you are going through are perfectly normal with a Model 1. First you are in awe, then you notice something, then you ask why the f**k did Rick do that?, then you dwell on it, then you forget it and then you love it.. Neck wise it will bother you for a bit and then you will get used to the feel and just play it.. Then it comes alive.. Like driving an Aston Martin when you are used to a Ferrari. Same speed, you just have to drive it a little differently for it to work as you want.

Last edited by madformac; 07-03-2007 at 06:55 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
The knobs are no problem. Rick should mail them out in a week or so (I got some replacements in a couple of weeks). The neck is a puzzle.

Firstly they can't just put a new neck on it. Its easier to build a new guitar than to change a neck. Trust me on this, I'm an expert now, its very complex to construct these things..

I always assumed there was only one size neck. Not sure what you were told by Rick and Barry. The Turner neck is pretty hefty. Its a five piece laminate of purple heart and rock maple and has two graphite rods in it as well as the truss rod. Its technically near to impossible to get a slim neck on one I would think. Yeah the neck is thicker than a Les Paul. Thats one of the things that takes time to get used to. I've got pretty big hands so its not too bad (although I prefer the slimmest Strat necks going). If you take your hands off the guitar on a strap the neck should slump downwards.. Its very neck heavy cos there is so much in its construction. The body is very light. So yeah, I'm pretty certain all Model 1's have the same neck size. Its just a trait of the guitar.

Don't worry, all the symptoms you are going through are perfectly normal with a Model 1. First you are in awe, then you notice something, then you ask why the f**k did Rick do that?, then you dwell on it, then you forget it and then you love it.. Neck wise it will bother you for a bit and then you will get used to the feel and just play it.. Then it comes alive.. Like driving an Aston Martin when you are used to a Ferrari. Same speed, you just have to drive it a little differently for it to work as you want.

Neck wise...yeah its like holding a Louisville Slugger. ( a baseball bat my UK pal )...btw...ever been to Manchester?

Anyway...I must say I am not totally happy with the guitar...BUT...I do think its AWFUL pretty!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Neck wise...yeah its like holding a Louisville Slugger. ( a baseball bat my UK pal )...btw...ever been to Manchester?
Um, yeah... Given I live there.. !!

Quote:
Anyway...I must say I am not totally happy with the guitar...BUT...I do think its AWFUL pretty! ?
Yeah its a nice looking guitar. THe craftmanship is more like the sort of thing you would associate with cabinet making raher than lutherie. Having said that, Rick used to be a cabinet maker! So I guess it figures....
Old 07-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Um, yeah... Given I live there.. !!

Yeah its a nice looking guitar. THe craftmanship is more like the sort of thing you would associate with cabinet making raher than lutherie. Having said that, Rick used to be a cabinet maker! So I guess it figures....
HAHA! Didnt know you lived there. My friend, the great mr. Chris Handley is a mad manc.

Anyway...I talked to Rick and Barry, and they both agreed sending the guitar back was the best thing. If waiting for 3 years is my fate...I'm really gonna be upset about that. It took long enough to get it in the first place.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, here's my two cents regarding the finishes. I've noticed that the same M1 can look totally different in different photographs and usually not even look the same as in person.

I've been photographed numerous times with mine and, JEEZ, it looks like I'm playing about 6 different M1s depending on the lighting, the film, the angle of the camera to the guitar, indoors, outdoors...and very, VERY few of the photos even look like it has the same finish as in person. So, just take that with a grain of salt when looking at photos of Lindsey's compared to what you get when you open your case.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still debating with myself about eventually getting myself a Model 1. As far as electrics go I play a Tony Iommi signature SG which has quite a thin neck (thinner than my strat knock-off) and it's cutaway so I can reach all 24 frets really easily. It doesn't look like the M1 plays really quickly up at the very top. Not that I'd really be playing very much up there anyway, but still... And I think that maybe the thicker neck would throw me off for a while until I get used to it. Anyone got any recommendations of guitars I could try that would give a similar feel to the M1 to see if I could go for one eventually?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Ok, here's my two cents regarding the finishes. I've noticed that the same M1 can look totally different in different photographs and usually not even look the same as in person.

I've been photographed numerous times with mine and, JEEZ, it looks like I'm playing about 6 different M1s depending on the lighting, the film, the angle of the camera to the guitar, indoors, outdoors...and very, VERY few of the photos even look like it has the same finish as in person. So, just take that with a grain of salt when looking at photos of Lindsey's compared to what you get when you open your case.

I agree. I wanted mine to look more "antiqued" or worn. But in all the pics that have been taken thus far, it looks real different in each one. More red in some, brown in others...I'm pleased with that I have to say.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I'm still debating with myself about eventually getting myself a Model 1. As far as electrics go I play a Tony Iommi signature SG which has quite a thin neck (thinner than my strat knock-off) and it's cutaway so I can reach all 24 frets really easily. It doesn't look like the M1 plays really quickly up at the very top. Not that I'd really be playing very much up there anyway, but still... And I think that maybe the thicker neck would throw me off for a while until I get used to it. Anyone got any recommendations of guitars I could try that would give a similar feel to the M1 to see if I could go for one eventually?
Yer right. It doesnt play well at the top. The neck is more difficult to access at anything above the 15th fret.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I began my guitar playing about 3 1/2 years ago. And I began on a Les Paul Shaped "Westfield" Guitar. It was never really that great of a guitar to begin with but it had a very fat neck. So since Ive never played SG's, Strats and Teles i really dont know what its like to play on a thin neck.
It was an easy transition then for me to move on to my Model 1 after the westfield because thats what i was always used to.

I highly reccomend the thomastic 10-45 by the way.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
Well I began my guitar playing about 3 1/2 years ago. And I began on a Les Paul Shaped "Westfield" Guitar. It was never really that great of a guitar to begin with but it had a very fat neck. So since Ive never played SG's, Strats and Teles i really dont know what its like to play on a thin neck.
It was an easy transition then for me to move on to my Model 1 after the westfield because thats what i was always used to.

My 1st electric was a Peavey. Very wide fretboard, but "thin" neck. Then I moved to a Tele which has a more "fat and round" neck i think. Now I play epi les pauls. They have a relatively thin neck and fretboard.

I prefer D'Addario 10's
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post

Madness, as far as the electric technique I'm assuming you mean "The Chain"..."So Afraid" and stuff like "Go Your Own Way" even? I started off never using a pick. I learned some licks from a youth pastor of mine (who was in a Christian rock band) and he used a pick. It never felt natural to me. When I picked up guitar seriously in 1998 i left the pick behind completely. Any basis I had for my own style came directly from "The Dance." I would say "Dreams" off that album is a good starter. Its VERY easy to play and its got some good fingerpicking parts. If you want to get more into the "fingernail flailing" then try "The Chain" and "So Afraid".

The thing I notice the most among people who dont finger pick often is they end up hitting a lot of other strings with their nails. What works for me is to constantly move my thumb (if I'm not using it) the string ABOVE the string I am actually picking so as to mute that string (in case you strike it while picking). You can notice Lindsey does this too, I think.

I dont know if this helps you any at all. Playing is more a vibe for me rather than a technique, because I suppose I dont have one. I'm pretty sloppy, in my own opinion. ChiliD (Steve) might be a better help on this matter. I'd be much more helpful to you if I could "teach" you in person...which I dont think is gonna happen!

~brandon~
Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Madness, as far as the electric technique I'm assuming you mean "The Chain"..."So Afraid" and stuff like "Go Your Own Way" even? I started off never using a pick. I learned some licks from a youth pastor of mine (who was in a Christian rock band) and he used a pick. It never felt natural to me. When I picked up guitar seriously in 1998 i left the pick behind completely. Any basis I had for my own style came directly from "The Dance." I would say "Dreams" off that album is a good starter. Its VERY easy to play and its got some good fingerpicking parts. If you want to get more into the "fingernail flailing" then try "The Chain" and "So Afraid".

The thing I notice the most among people who dont finger pick often is they end up hitting a lot of other strings with their nails. What works for me is to constantly move my thumb (if I'm not using it) the string ABOVE the string I am actually picking so as to mute that string (in case you strike it while picking). You can notice Lindsey does this too, I think.

I dont know if this helps you any at all. Playing is more a vibe for me rather than a technique, because I suppose I dont have one. I'm pretty sloppy, in my own opinion. ChiliD (Steve) might be a better help on this matter. I'd be much more helpful to you if I could "teach" you in person...which I dont think is gonna happen!

~brandon~

I never really used a pick either. In fact I wish I could use one at times because there are things I want to do that are not as easy with your fingers (pinched harmonics etc..).

I've always played with my fingers and strummed with my nails so I don't know any different. I do mute the strings above the ones I'm picking with my thumb and palm muting too of course. But I never learned this stuff, just subconsciously fell into it probably. I never took any lessons or anything so my technique is not exactly orthodox and as Brandon said, I'm "sloppy". A guitar teacher would cringe at my finger positions but them I guess pros like Lindsey or people like us would all get the same reaction.. But it works for me. After you have been playing a few years you fall into your own techniques and bad habits, if you will. Its a bit like driving. If I had to keep both hands on the wheel now I'd go nuts!

"I'm So Afraid" and "The Chain" are very rewarding songs to fingerpick when you hit them just right. But it takes a degree of time to get it right. No overnight successes.

As for the Model 1. Its utterly useless for those who like to hang around on the dusty end of the fingerboard (I'm one of those hence I play Strats and stuff mostly). The upper fret access is appalling for an electric but its impossible for it to be any other way given the design.. But look at classical players, upper fret access is crap on a classical guitar but they adapt technique and make it work. The Model 1 is basically a very aggressive Les Paul packaged into a classical shape with the strings placed perfectly for fingerpickers. Like an acoustic that's overdone the steroids..

Its unique in the guitar world and with that come its eccentricities. You have to say "okay, so how do I work around this?" and then you get used to it..

Its not an easy guitar to play and it makes you a better player by making sure you treat it in a disciplined way. You can't get away with sloppy chords playing on a clean setting with this guitar. But play it the right way and it rewards a hell of a lot.

I think its best suited to power chords and heavier stuff personally. Makes a great rock rhythm guitar (only problem is its so damn loud it drowns the lead player!!)
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(only problem is its so damn loud it drowns the lead player!!)
Which, depending on the lead player, could be a GOOD thing!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Red face

Quote:
I never really used a pick either. In fact I wish I could use one at times because there are things I want to do that are not as easy with your fingers (pinched harmonics etc..).

I've always played with my fingers and strummed with my nails so I don't know any different. I do mute the strings above the ones I'm picking with my thumb and palm muting too of course. But I never learned this stuff, just subconsciously fell into it probably. I never took any lessons or anything so my technique is not exactly orthodox and as Brandon said, I'm "sloppy". A guitar teacher would cringe at my finger positions but them I guess pros like Lindsey or people like us would all get the same reaction.. But it works for me. After you have been playing a few years you fall into your own techniques and bad habits, if you will. Its a bit like driving. If I had to keep both hands on the wheel now I'd go nuts!

"I'm So Afraid" and "The Chain" are very rewarding songs to fingerpick when you hit them just right. But it takes a degree of time to get it right. No overnight successes.

As for the Model 1. Its utterly useless for those who like to hang around on the dusty end of the fingerboard (I'm one of those hence I play Strats and stuff mostly). The upper fret access is appalling for an electric but its impossible for it to be any other way given the design.. But look at classical players, upper fret access is crap on a classical guitar but they adapt technique and make it work. The Model 1 is basically a very aggressive Les Paul packaged into a classical shape with the strings placed perfectly for fingerpickers. Like an acoustic that's overdone the steroids..

Its unique in the guitar world and with that come its eccentricities. You have to say "okay, so how do I work around this?" and then you get used to it..

Its not an easy guitar to play and it makes you a better player by making sure you treat it in a disciplined way. You can't get away with sloppy chords playing on a clean setting with this guitar. But play it the right way and it rewards a hell of a lot.

I think its best suited to power chords and heavier stuff personally. Makes a great rock rhythm guitar (only problem is its so damn loud it drowns the lead player!!)
J,

THe guitar has been sent back...Rick is indeed working on a new one for me. He said he "realized" very quickly that it was not built to my spec as I had previously requested. The neck wasnt a tapered neck at all...he apologised for that. So he told me to tell him...line for line, word for word exactly what I want and he'd "get it right"...He said he'd have it done for me within 3-4 weeks.

~B~
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mhm, I've always wanted one, you know that , but I've read many "horror" stories about Rick's company. So, no, and I'm much more a "bass lover" now, but of course the model 1 looks awesome and is unique.

But 4000 dollars is a lot of money and if I had payed it, the only thing I would want is perfection. If you make such a special instrument, that 90% of the people doesn't know of, make it perfect.

One little problem is nothing, it can happen, but not too much please.