User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I'm sure that's a line you've used more than once in another context (and not successfully).

- Jake
That's why I have the doll you're always trumpeting.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew

And yes, "Family Man" did do better in England than "Seven Wonders" did... but England also gave the Spice Girls several massive hit singles, so....
That was my first thought too!

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 02:55 PM

Tango was very popular, and ranks as the second-highest non-compilation selling album.

As with Rumours, Lindsey is primarily responsible for that.

Let the produce fly. I'm outta here anyway. Gotta go argue politics elsewhere.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
You and I Part 2. And I can't believe what you people are saying about Seven Wonders. I fell in love with just that song, and while I now like a bunch of others on the album, I'm still in love with just that one...
Amber
You & me both.

- Jake
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not a "big deal," only in the fact that you made mention of her "bitching," but ignored the fact that she apologized for the incident that you were so quick to chastize her for.

I guess no one is allowed to accept responsibility and say, "I was wrong."
Once you've done something, that's that, and there's no forgiveness.
Of course they can. And Stevie was wrong and I'm glad she realized it.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
But Seven Wonders isn't?
The keyboards are almost over the top, but they don't overpower the vocal. Plus it's a better song to begin with.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I refuse to take the bait and argue over how her popularity had diminished considerably by the time Tango rolled around.
We've had this argument tons of times, too. No one has ever stated that Stevie's popularity hadn't diminished.
What is conveniently ignored, however, is that she was still... with absolutely no offense meant to the rest of the band or their talents... the biggest "name" and "star-draw" in that band. Even in the late '80s. And up to the time she quit Fleetwood Mac.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the reason Mirage didn't sell that well (it still sold millions and landed at #1) was because it had been three years since the last Mac album and people were worried about buying another Tusk.
I disagree. Gypsy and Hold Me were being played all over & sounded nothing like Tusk.
Mirage was #1 briefly, according to Mick, because the band stopped the tour too soon.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I refuse to take the bait and argue over how her popularity had diminished considerably by the time Tango rolled around.
Not compared to the rest of the band's.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We've had this argument tons of times, too. No one has ever stated that Stevie's popularity hadn't diminished.
What is conveniently ignored, however, is that she was still... with absolutely no offense meant to the rest of the band or their talents... the biggest "name" and "star-draw" in that band. Even in the late '80s. And up to the time she quit Fleetwood Mac.
Not when it came to TITN's album sales.

And just to lighten the mood, here's a joke I just got in an email:

Bush and Cheney went out to lunch at a local diner after a three-hour long campaign stop. Bush glances at the menu, makes his decision, and motions for the waitress.

"Can I help you, sir?" she asks.

"Yes, can I have a quickie?" he says to her.

The waitress grows beat red and runs away. Cheney leans over to Bush and whispers into his ear, "I believe that's pronounced quiche, sir."

Old 08-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's why I have the doll you're always trumpeting.
You make a great couple. Blowhard & Blowhole.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't forget anything... I noted that it was the second time the album went to #1. But that second time at #1 was, by all accounts, due to their tour there. So obviously, even as late as 1987/88, touring had an impact on album sales.
When did it get to #1 the second time? I don't think they got to Europe until May '88. They were supposed to get there earlier in the year, but Stevie was sick so they postponed the European tour.

Did Behind the Muck hit #1 in Europe at all? How well did it do in these United States? Let's face it: 1987/88 was the cusp of the tip of just about the end of it for Fleetwood Mac as a monster-seller.

Except for the reunion album . . . I keep forgetting that one. So are they done for or aren't they? YOU decide. . . .
Old 08-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not compared to the rest of the band's.

- Jake
That must be why the other two had the hit singles, eh?

Old 08-03-2004, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The keyboards are almost over the top, but they don't overpower the vocal. Plus it's a better song to begin with.

- Jake
Meaning you believe there are songs in which the instrumentation power the vocals!?

I think Tango is better produced than SYW. I like a lot of the SYW songs better than Tango, but the production in comparison is uneven. Tango has a uniformity of sound and production from song to song. With SYW, I've found myself EQing it between songs.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Tango was very popular, and ranks as the second-highest non-compilation selling album.

As with Rumours, Lindsey is primarily responsible for that.
I love 'Tango'... I think Lindsey was near to his production peak on that album.
To my ears, even the less-than-stellar songs sound amazing and have a lot going for them.

There are times when it is actually my favorite Mac album, and is all I listen to.

The difference between myself and most though, is that I love the contributions from all three members on 'Tango,' not just those of one or two of them.
I think each adds something valuable to the whole, and that removing any one member would leave the album lacking.

Lindsey's the brains, Christine's the heart, and Stevie's the soul.
They are Fleetwood Mac's own little "holy trinity"... as it was then, is now, and ever shall be.