Sentimental Lady 2 3.45%
Hynotized 8 13.79%
Why 18 31.03%
Other 6 10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Bare Trees..

Hawk...it is my favorite FM Kirwan song, from my favorite pre-BN FM album. Yes, excellent choice. Thanks for mentioning it!

I always thought of Danny as the softer( more mellow) side of the Peter Green Mac.

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 04-01-2002 at 05:43 PM..
Old 04-01-2002, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

"Why" for me too.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Location: Currently At The Nelson Institute For Marine Research In California
Heart Well....

I like ....

Bare Trees
Emerald Eyes
Bermuda Triangle
Hypnotised

Every song off Kiln House
Every Song off Heroes are Hard to Find

It's too bad Bob Welch did'nt stick around for the S/L era !
Old 04-13-2002, 10:42 PM
Ledgie

Hi,
haven't posted in a while
but I have to say my fave pre-BN Mac song is a triple tie between
"Homeward Bound" (Bare Trees), "Sunny Side of Heaven" (Bare Trees), and Sands of Time (Future Games).

I love a lot of Christine and Danny's songs so it's hard to choose.

-April
Old 04-13-2002, 11:34 PM
Ledgie

This was a tough one for me. I really love both Oh Well and Man of the World. Man of the World is sad, but so beautiful, and Oh Well just totally rocks. Plus, the verse when God says "Don't ask me what I think of you..." just makes me chuckle because it is SO true.

HOWEVER, I had to pick Sentimental Lady. I can't believe it's only gotten one vote (from me!). Bob Welch is just SO cool, and this is such a gorgeous song. I will admit, I prefer Bob's solo version of it for only one reason - I like Christine's backing vocals better on it when she sings "all I need is you." On the FM version, when she chimes in with the "sentimental gentle wind" part, it just sounds too rushed to me. BUT because I love the song so much, I like the FM version since it has more verses and I can listen to it for a longer time. Also, it comes from the Bare Trees album which I ADORE - it ties for second place with Tusk of my fave FM albums (the White Album will always be my #1).

And finally, I've just always loved Sentimental Lady ever since I was a young girl. As a teenager, when I was thinking about guys, but was yet unexperienced in that department, I always imagined that Sentimental Lady would be one of those ultimate songs to make love to. Another song that was in that category for me was Best of My Love by the Eagles. I wonder if Bob Welch realizes how "inspirational" his songs can be?

Lori
Old 04-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Love songs?!

Quote:
Posted by Lori: I always imagined that Sentimental Lady would be one of those ultimate songs to make love to.
Ha Ha Lori...bet you can't imagine what happens when I play "Tusk" MWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

How's it goin' bud?

Joe
Old 04-14-2002, 11:58 PM
Ledgie

Default Re: Love songs?!

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
Ha Ha Lori...bet you can't imagine what happens when I play "Tusk" MWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

How's it goin' bud?
Well, whatever you do when you play "Tusk," I imagine that it is done "real savage-like!" hehehehehehe

As to how it's going, weeellll.... In the past week, I've had my wisdom teeth extracted, gotten a full-blown sinus allergy attack (and my sinuses were already hurting because the upper wisdom teeth are right up against that area, which can cause sinus pain when they are extracted), AND a stomach virus (use your imagination). I can't get any rest because Mommies are on duty 24/7, so I've been feeling fairly miserable. Then to put the cherry on the sundae, Mike was laid off from his job on Thursday morning (nothing to do with his performance - the company had a bad 1st quarter AND did not get the contract with MicroSoft that they were expecting). So basically, I am sick, tired, and will quite possibly be poor as well if Mike doesn't find another job toot sweet. Aren't you glad you asked?

BUT I don't like to complain...other than my little aches and pains of the week, no one here is truly ill or dying, the kids are healthy as horses, really, and we all still have a roof over our heads and food on our plates and love each other, so I know things could be FAR worse. I'm thankful for what I have.

I am very glad to get to say Hello to you, though! I haven't been posting much and was missing some of my buddies! To eliminate any more "chit chat" on this board, feel free to email or pm me and fill me in on how YOU have been, okay?

Take care, my buddy!

Lori
Old 04-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I loooovve "Why"!

"Bare Trees" is the BEST pre B/N album by FM. I listen to that sucker all the time.

I think the Peter Green era is way overrated in comparison to the "20 million line-ups" era. Maybe all that craziness was good fodder for good music.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Me thinks, you just haven't listened to ENOUGH of the Peter Green era!

My only complaint about "Bare Trees" (well, besides Mrs. Scarrot, bless her heart) is that the running time of the album (and ESPECIALLY the CD) is WAY TOO SHORT!

Along with a few other folks I've talked to, I'd like to see Rhino remaster & repackage the pre-1975 Fleetwood Mac catalogue. If they can do masterful jobs with Elvis Costello's material, just think what they could do with our beloved Mac?

Last edited by chiliD; 04-18-2002 at 12:56 PM..
Old 04-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah, I have.... I guess my point is that the Peter Green era gets so much more "props" than 1970 - 1974.

Don't get me wrong- I love "Green Manalishi" and others.

That blob dude is freaky.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have you heard the live stuff from 1970? (i.e., Boston Tea Party stuff, either of the Vaudeville Years packages?)

I think their strength was their live show.

After 30+ years of listening to "Then Play On", then hearing the outtakes & live material from that era over the years..."Then Play On" does sound incomplete. Just like listening to the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds", then listening to all the outtakes of the box set, making "Pet Sounds" (for all it's glory) seem incomplete. There was so much AWESOME stuff that was left OFF that it's mind boggling!!

Sure, I'd love to see the same "vault assault" of CD releases from the 1971-74 crews that has occurred with Peter's era! That would be awesome. I will agree that the "Future Games"/"Bare Trees" incarnation has been sadly ignored by the "powers-that-be" of the Fleetwood Mac power structure. If there ever was an incarnation of the Mac that NEEDS some delving into, that is definitely the one.

Last edited by chiliD; 04-18-2002 at 01:08 PM..
Old 04-19-2002, 02:31 AM
Ledgie

Maybe we should storm the offices at WB and demand they re-master the FM era of 1970-1974.
I love Future Games and Bare Trees. They are very underrated albums.

I love listening to the Peter Green era live stuff...awesome...too bad I can't jam like that!

-April
Old 04-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At this point, it wouldn't be WB that would be in charge of the remastering...Rhino (a subsidiary label) is the WB/Reprise/Elektra/Atlantic's "reissue" label. They've just got through a great run of reissuing Elvis Costello's catalogue, and if they can do that with HIS stuff, just imagine the great stuff they'd unearth with Fleetwood Mac!!!

Again, for the umpteenth time, is my "proposal" for the Mac's remastering project:

Then Play On-a 2 disc set: Disc 1, the album "as is", Disc 2, add "World In Harmony", "Green Manalishi", "Man Of The World" and the entire 1970 Jeremy Spencer companion album

Kiln House--add "Dragonfly & "Purple Dancer" as bonus tracks

Future Games--add "Trinity" & the alternate version of "Lay It All Down" as bonus tracks

Bare Trees--add bonus tracks!

Penguin---add bonus tracks!

Mystery To Me--reinstate "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait" and other bonus tracks

Heroes Are Hard To Find---add bonus tracks

Fleetwood Mac (aka “the white album”)--add the 45 mixes of "Over My Head", "Say You Love Me" & "Rhiannon" as bonus tracks

Rumours---make a stereo CD version of the DVD-Audio (minus interviews) (reinstating "Silver Springs")

Tusk---reinstate the LP mixes of "Sara" & "I Know I'm Not Wrong"

Live (1980)---make into a 3-disc set...discs 1 & 2 the album as is, disc 3 of more live material from the tour, ie "Angel", "What Makes You Think You're The One", "Think About Me", "You Make Loving Fun", "Sisters Of The Moon"

Mirage---add "Cool Water", "Goodbye Angel", "Teen Beat" as bonus tracks

Tango In The Night---release as 2 disc set, disc 1 album as is; disc 2, the 12" extended dance remixes of "Big Love", "Seven Wonders", "Little Lies", "Everywhere", "Family Man" AND the 45 B-Sides "Down Endless Street", "You & I, Part 1", "Ricky", "Book Of Miracles".

(Delete the "Greatest Hits" disc from the catalogue)

Behind The Mask---add "Lizard People", "No Questions Asked", "As Long As You Follow", "Paper Doll", & "Heart Of Stone" as bonus tracks)

Time--add “Soccer Rocks The Globe” version of “Blow By Blow”, "Love Shines" & "Make Me A Mask" as bonus tracks

The Dance---make into a two disc set including the tunes originally left off the CD

Release a new 4-disc live box:
Disc 1: Live material from 1971-1974
Disc 2: Live material from 1975-1978
Disc 3: Live material from 1982
Disc 4: Live material from 1987, 1990, & 1994/95
Old 04-19-2002, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, I wrote to Mr. David Mclees at Rhino who is the Vice President of A&R (as this is who David May at Warners suggested I write to about this) and he basically said that as FM was still signed to WB that they couldn't touch the back catalog (in other words, in WB's mind, they think back catalog album's sales would cut in to the new albums sales). I would imagine this is the reason they have been "allowed" to remaster artists that were previously on Warners such as Elvis Costello, Bonnie Raitt among others. I had originally thought that reissues by other WEA related artists that were still with the label (such as CSN&Y, Genesis, Yes etc.) were done by Rhino but they still seem to be done by Atlantic so this would make sense. ChiliD and I have talked about this and have suggested to them that the catalog discs could be stealthily replaced with the newly upgraded versions (per ChiliD's above list) as WB/Reprise simultaneously stealthily deletes the current back catalog. Then, once the upcoming “new” album is released and the sales on that album start to dip (after a few months or so) at that time, they could do a healthy marketing push on the back catalog material that has already (at that point) been on the market (for however long). We figured that if their thoughts on this do start now, the plus of having the entire (or most of the entire) back catalog on the market before the “new” albums’ release being that the avid fans will notice the new versions of the catalog releases when going to purchase the “new” album and they will buy the new upgrades at that time and others who would be just discovering the band for the first time (or general casual fans) may delve into some of the catalog albums either at the same time of buying the “new” release or shortly thereafter due to the promotion put forth in respect of the upgrades. Mr. McLees informed me previously that “cost and profits are not the key issues" but surely in persuading the appropriate parties to join forces on this matter, this will undoubtedly be perceived as an added bonus if nothing else. As of yet, we have received no response from Rhino in regards to this suggestion. So maybe some of you might want to think about writing to David McLees as well but it will only mean something if these points are taken in to consideration when deciding what you wish the contents of your letter to include so that way, all of us are unanimus and it gives them "no excuse" if you know what I mean. Something to think over anyways. I have heard some rumors that FM is not with WB anymore and are trying to finalize a deal with another label (I think someone around these boards mentioned they heard Dreamworks may be a possible contender). Naturally, if this was the case, we could THEN get Rhino to release the WB back catalog right away as they would be "able" to then but I guess we'll have to wait and see what label the new Mac album will be released on first in that instance but it probably wouldn't hurt for some of you to write to McLees now anyways (making sure you use the appropriate "phrase-ology" (refer to above)) to at least show them the great interest that they need to be convinced that such re-releases would be, how should I put it... (since they don't seem to like the "cost and profits" words even though we know very well that they secretly DO care about such aspects of such a project) "worth their while".

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 05-22-2002 at 06:00 AM..
Old 12-10-2004, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going through old threads in this forum at the moment and I wanted to put in my vote for "Why."

Hillary