Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Texas Rangers Score 30 runs in 1 game

We might be totally sucking in last place, but at least we had one memorable night. (I just posted part of the article because it was really long.)

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Five runs in the fourth inning.

Nine runs in the sixth.

Ten in the eighth.

Six more in the ninth.

The Texas Rangers rounded the bases at a dizzying pace and became the first team in 110 years to score 30 runs in a game, setting an American League record Wednesday in a 30-3 rout of the Baltimore Orioles.

"This is something freaky. You won't see anything like this again for a long, long time. I am glad I was on this end of it," said Marlon Byrd, who hit one of two Texas grand slams.

Trailing 3-0 in the opener of a doubleheader, Texas couldn't be stopped. Finally, the last-place Rangers did something right.

"We set a record for something on the good side of baseball," manager Ron Washington said.

Texas kept right on hitting in the second game, too, although at a decidedly tamer pace. Travis Metcalf drove in four runs and the Rangers used a three-run eighth for a 9-7 victory and a sweep.

Texas set an AL record for runs in a doubleheader, surpassing the 36 scored by Detroit in 1937.

"Tonight there were some balls thrown across the plate and we put them in play," Washington said. "Everybody was part of it. It was a total team effort."

The Rangers had 11 hits in the second game, including three by Michael Young. The nightcap, however, will forever be regarded as a postscript to the incredible opener.
It was the ninth time a major league team scored 30 runs, the first since the Chicago Colts set the major league mark in a 36-7 rout of Louisville in a National League game on June 28, 1897, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

"It was AMAZING in capital letters," said Metcalf, who hit a grand slam after being called up from Triple-A Oklahoma earlier in the day.

Hours after announcing manager Dave Trembley would return for the 2008 season, the Orioles absorbed the most lopsided loss in franchise history and set a team record for hits allowed in a game (29).

"I'd say whatever we threw, they hit it. It's that simple," Trembley said. "They say hitting is contagious, and that certainly was the case in the first game. I've never seen anything like it."

The Rangers had totaled 28 runs in their previous nine games, including two runs on seven hits in their last two.

"I knew we'd get the bats going, but I never expected anything like this," Washington said. "When the faucet is on, you want it to stay on. You never want to cut it off."

The Rangers set a team record for runs scored in a doubleheader -- before the second game even started.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard about this last night. I bet the Rangers would like to inventory about 25 of those runs to pull out in other games.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Congrats on the win!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

That was incredible! Couldn't believe when I saw that.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the Orioles.... unfortunately they suck

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
That was incredible! Couldn't believe when I saw that.
I felt the exact same way. Unbelievable.