User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS!

I put this disc on my Netflix queue. It says it will be a long wait, but I intend to watch it carefully & write a lengthy "review" of it for the Ledge, eschewing circumlocution, periphrasis & my inveterate penchant for sesquipedality.
You are a fan of Pauline's?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
What do you think about Robert Fink's theory that Americans are particularly fond of minimalism because it sounds exactly like their lives - the repetition of the media with its commercialized messages is actually a soothing process just like Terry Riley pounding away on a Hohner pianet in a performance of In C?
that was beautiful.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
What do you think about Robert Fink's theory that Americans are particularly fond of minimalism because it sounds exactly like their lives - the repetition of the media with its commercialized messages is actually a soothing process just like Terry Riley pounding away on a Hohner pianet in a performance of In C?
I would say that, if that's Fink's theory, its premise is in as much need of demonstrating as its conclusion is.

Quote:
In any case, what I'm about to say will be familiar to you and make you feel comfortable: GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER!
What's that? More to the point, what do I do with it? Decrypt a DVD?

Did you ever see TALES FROM DECRYPT?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Ledgie

Default The doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
I just watched the Not Too Late documentary.

With regards to the rejection phone calls, when I read Ledgie reviews, I thought Mr. B. was talking about the new album...(2008 product)

After seeing the rejections (phone calls etc.), I think he was showing us how freaking hard it was to get 2006's UTS accepted and out on the shelves. The bottom line is money and music execs are more conservative with backing.

I count myself damn lucky to have the CD and to have been to the concerts. Getting to that point, must have been a struggle for the man & the artist.

Did anyone else interpret the documentary this way?

Didn't Mr. B. mention something along the same lines in the Charlie Rose interview? FM sold more units than he did, therefore, his solo album became SYW.
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in quite some time, but have been a posting member since...wow, 1997!!! The Dance tour, how time flies! I was finishing up college back then and spent spare time chatting with Ledgies.

Anyway, I was reading everyone's comments about the doc and was wondering when it was filmed. There is a moment of film that shows Lindsey walking around his house (former house?) and there is a still shot on the UTS cover of this segment of film. This might lead me to believe that the calls to record company execs were to secure a company for UTS. However, UTS was released by Reprise, which I believe had been his company for a few years...? In the doc and in a recently posted interview, we hear that he is a "free agent". So, I don't think he would have considered himself a "free agent" prior to releasing UTS. Maybe I am just getting confused though...???

And, his comment to his final phone caller, something to the effect of seeing the writing on the wall. Do y'all think this means releasing material via Fleetwood Mac, rather than solo? If it was meant to show him shopping for a record company for the new solo album, I'm curious if that material will now fill a new FM album...?

Then again, maybe it was as someone else recently posted, an illustration of the music business industry bottom line mentality of today.

I'm thinking it was shot over a very long period of time with clips from pre UTS release to clips from post UTS release.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooney View Post
I'm thinking it was shot over a very long period of time with clips from pre UTS release to clips from post UTS release.
I do think that a lot of the clips are pre-UTS. What's confusing about his being a "free agent" is that he may have been a free agent before UTS, but he just recently said it again in an interview. So, I don't know . . . Of course, even if he had a hard time finding a record label then, I think the segments are in the DVD now because of his current situation. He's discussing what happened then to make a point now. But it is confusing and I was asking the same questions that you are.

Michele
Old 04-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Good observation about "pushing the live album limit", time for a poll obviously.

http://www.submal.com/?p=16

Quote:
By David Furst | April 4, 2008

Fans of Lindsey Buckingham need to own this. Sure, it contains the Buckingham basics he’s played countless times in concert–”Go You Own Way,” “Big Love,” “Go Insane,” “Never Going Back Again” and “I’m So Afraid.” And yes, he’s pushing the live album limit–with Fleetwood Mac’s Live in Boston (2004), the Soundstage Presents Lindsey Buckingham DVD (2005) and now this. But Live at the Bass Performance Hall is simply the best place to hear the artist’s most recent solo material.

It may be the least live sounding live album in existence, but for Lindsey Buckingham–king of quirky studio invention and polish–Live at the Bass is downright earthy. I can’t say for sure, but it certainly seems as though a healthy amount of overdubbing has gone on. Audience applause appears to be manipulated in a few places. The percussion sounds a bit too crisp, the vocals too perfect, and hardly anything betrays an ambient “room” sound. Perhaps that’s all due to meticulous close-miking. Perhaps the band is playing to a click track with some programmed drums in the mix. Maybe they’re just freakishly good. Either way, I find this recording more enjoyable than Under The Skin.

For me, Buckingham’s 2006 solo effort Under The Skin is a fatiguing listen. It boasts some top shelf Buckingham material and individually many of the songs are impressive, and some are flat-out amazing. But it all feels as if he’s painted himself into a corner in the studio. The sound is claustrophobic. Liberated from some of the studio wizardry, the material from Under The Skin can breathe a bit more. And there are a whopping six cuts from UTS on the new live disc. Taken with the three new songs Buckingham previewed on the Soundstage DVD, that brings the total to nine out of 11 UTS songs that have officially been released in live versions. Compile them at once, sit back and enjoy. Nothing sounds radically different, but the material crackles with a passion that is not present in the studio.

What about the other songs on Live at the Bass? Oh yeah, they’re good too. Bonus points for a cool solo version of “Trouble,” a fun romp through “Holiday Road” and a fantastic performance of Tusk’s “I Know I’m Not Wrong.”

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, we live in a new world and with so many fan bootlegs being easily circulated today, I think performers ought to put out a live DVD each and every time they do anything -- sneezing included. I mean, there are going to be boots floating around anyway. Why not have one clear, pristine, official version of every tour you do, just for the historic record? No one is buying this stuff anyway, so is there really a gigantic fear of over-saturating the market?

I can understand limiting your live CDS more than I can the live DVDs, actually.

Michele
Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rush have released a live DVD of their last two tours and have a third one out later this year. Not to mention the three VHS concerts they released in the 80's and countless live albums over the years. And I'm glad that their recent tours are being released officially for exactly the reasons you said, Michele. I want a new DVD of Lindsey's next solo tour just so I can have it. Who knows, it might be the last solo tour he does and then we'll have no official live document of the new songs when they're done live and that would be a shame. (I'm working on the assumption that he will indeed get a record deal and tour for the new album)
Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

... I think performers ought to put out a live DVD each and every time they do anything -- sneezing included.

... Why not have one clear, pristine, official version of every tour you do, just for the historic record?
Some songs are just better live than in the studio. Maybe it's the exchange of energy with the audience...

I KNOW I'M NOT WRONG !!

Now that song seemed to take on a life of its own...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Ledgie

Default tusk

is it possible to have a mp3 of the tusk version which is on the dvd ? thanx in advance if there's a nice angel floating around....
Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by omshiva View Post
is it possible to have a mp3 of the tusk version which is on the dvd ? thanx in advance if there's a nice angel floating around....
I have it but I'm not at home. I can post it later today.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LiddyBuckFan View Post
I have it but I'm not at home. I can post it later today.

Wow ! thanx.
Like Lindsey sings... I am waiting !
Old 04-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You know, we live in a new world and with so many fan bootlegs being easily circulated today, I think performers ought to put out a live DVD each and every time they do anything -- sneezing included. I mean, there are going to be boots floating around anyway. Why not have one clear, pristine, official version of every tour you do, just for the historic record? No one is buying this stuff anyway, so is there really a gigantic fear of over-saturating the market?
That's a very good point - however, putting something like this out through Warners is essentially a waste of money. He should sell these things privately at concerts or through his website, I'm sure he'd make more out of it then.

But then this is Lindsey and the thought of him selling a release of a concert played on the very same tour is an impossibility - the instant live thing is fit for bands who have no need to polish everything to perfection.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 04-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Ledgie

Default Live dvds

Regarding the idea of selling them on his own: if only he had a live recording of the Out of the Cradle tour that he could sell on his own at his next live event!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooney View Post
Regarding the idea of selling them on his own: if only he had a live recording of the Out of the Cradle tour that he could sell on his own at his next live event!
There's an OOTC special. I think it is only 1 hour long. But if they taped that much of the show, they must have taped all of it. Lindsey should release that. I know that he had people asking him for OOTC songs during this last tour. If he's not going to give the people what they want in concert, he can do it on DVD.

Michele