Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Live at the Bass Performance Hall 14 48.28%
Soundstage 2005 11 37.93%
Did he really need another live DVD? 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Default Bass Performance Hall vs Soundstage

So which is it? Or do you think that when one considers his total solo output, releasing the other one so soon was a bit superfluous?

As for me, gotta take a couple of more viewings of both...

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

I really like UTS, and the songs are even better live than on the original disc, so I prefer Bass Performance Hall.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to go with Bass Hall, just for the documentary part. I would have voted for Soundstage if it had had more extras, like the different takes of songs and the comments made between takes.

Michele
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bass Performance Hall for me. There are more songs, a better selection (although I wish Red Rover had made the DVD) and there's no Stevie Nicks. I think Lindsey's performance is slightly better on the Bass DVD but judging from both of these, from a vocals standpoint, I'd not care if he dropped GYOW.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Bass Performance Hall for me. There are more songs, a better selection (although I wish Red Rover had made the DVD) and there's no Stevie Nicks. I think Lindsey's performance is slightly better on the Bass DVD but judging from both of these, from a vocals standpoint, I'd not care if he dropped GYOW.
Every word of this is mine. Although his fiery guitarwork on Bass's GYOW is stunning. He only could have better used some vocal pretrack and shut his mouth on this one. Incredible, because the rest of the vocals are OK in a big way.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bass had a better audience.

Soundstage's audience was too subdued...
Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Every word of this is mine. Although his fiery guitarwork on Bass's GYOW is stunning. He only could have better used some vocal pretrack and shut his mouth on this one. Incredible, because the rest of the vocals are OK in a big way.
Oh I agree about the solo. The solo in that one is great. It's a piece of glorious noise That's the only reason I see for keeping that song in the setlist aside from it being the big hit. And I will admit that the solo is a damn good reason to keep it there as it's only a little disappointing vocally.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Soundstage. Down on Rodeo was on there...i loved the way he did it there. I loved "Murrow" too. I like Trouble better on that DVD. Of course..."So Afraid" on Bass Hall was superb.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
as it's only a little disappointing vocally.
As a big fan, I have to say: you're too kind for him. That vocal is embarrassing. But the freaking guitarindustry makes me wanting to rip my ears off. It's so f*cking awesome that I play it over and over again against all odds: how can you play a song so bad and so extatic at the same time? The man NEVER lets me be 100% dissapointed. It's annoying.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, I think I worded that badly. When I said it's on "only a little disappointing vocally" what I really meant is that "the only way this version is a little disappointing is because of the vocals" not that the vocals are just a little disappointing because, let's face it, they're far from the greatest but they're not so bad that I can't live with them. Then again, if I didn't like the solo so much I would probably never listen to this version, just like I don't listen to the Soundstage version ever.

I have to add that I adore this version of UTS. I think I like it more than the album version because there's just something extra to it IMO. I think maybe it sounds more dynamic. Maybe that's from Brett coming in with an extra guitar in the chorus, but presumable there's something similar going on in the studio version so I don't know. Maybe it's just the performance.
It's also nice to have this slower, more tender version of SUD. It's not as good as the Philadelphia bootleg, which is more upbeat and he'd been playing it longer so was more sure of himself with it, but it's nice to have it performed slightly differently for variety.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I couldnt pick one. I liked both equally.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm biased as I was at the Bass Hall concert. Heh. I LOVE Soundstage for I Am Waiting, Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind and Down on Rodeo.

I've never cared much for GYOW live except for the fact that he lets people touch the guitar and stuff. LOL I prefer it on Rumours, kinda like Dreams...those are just perfection on the album. I have to admit that GYOW gets the dead to come to life in concert though. I prefer my dark ISA.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have to add that I adore this version of UTS. I think I like it more than the album version because there's just something extra to it IMO. I think maybe it sounds more dynamic. Maybe that's from Brett coming in with an extra guitar in the chorus, but presumable there's something similar going on in the studio version so I don't know. Maybe it's just the performance.
It's also nice to have this slower, more tender version of SUD. It's not as good as the Philadelphia bootleg, which is more upbeat and he'd been playing it longer so was more sure of himself with it, but it's nice to have it performed slightly differently for variety.
These are my faves after the KILLING versions of ISA and IKINW. UTS is just slightly less robotic, although I love the albumcut too. That song just shines, it's so atmospheric, and I don't know how to say it, but it is made of glass, even in the liveversion. Very impressive. I like the Liddy In Philly-bootleg more OVERALL. SUD is fantastic, studio AND live, and that's a very big achievement because they differ so much. Also here: that bootleg rules.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
I'm biased as I was at the Bass Hall concert. Heh. I LOVE Soundstage for I Am Waiting, Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind and Down on Rodeo.
I love all the UTS songs live so I'm so glad we have them, no matter what DVD it's on.

Quote:
These are my faves after the KILLING versions of ISA and IKINW. Very impressive.
Oh yeah, they're awesome. My favourite part in the solo is where he just stops playing and you can hear the thud of his hand on the neck of the guitar as he beats it! I'm not as keen on how he looks when he's hitting it with two hands, but nobody ever said he looked cool

Quote:
UTS is just slightly less robotic, although I love the albumcut too. That song just shines, it's so atmospheric, and I don't know how to say it, but it is made of glass, even in the liveversion.
Yes! That's exactly it but I couldn't find the words for it! Slightly robotic, but still great. I was thinking of how to describe the studio version just there now on my walk back from work and I kept thinking "shimmering" but "made of glass" is so much better.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes! That's exactly it but I couldn't find the words for it! Slightly robotic, but still great. I was thinking of how to describe the studio version just there now on my walk back from work and I kept thinking "shimmering" but "made of glass" is so much better.
Yes. "Love Minus Zero" -- that's "shimmering"!