Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2002, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tribute Band Review

Just thought I would post this on here. Went to see the FM tribute Band, Fleetwood bac, last night and it was a great show. My friend Rachel wrote this review

'...Don't You Look Bac...'

Fleetwood Bac
The Half-Moon, Putney
November 24th, 2002

Life is very definitely mirroring art in the lives of Fleetwood Bac. Just as the real band have morphed through more line-up changes than many of us can count; Fleetwood Bac too have had their share of departures over the years. This evening onto the stage came 'Stevie', 'Lindsey', 'John' and 'Mick' - the latest incarnation of both Fleetwood Mac and Bac. Fleetwood Bac are looking for someone to fill the role of 'Christine' at the moment ...so, if you are a budding Christine McVie, or even if you ARE Christine McVie and need to flex your fingers a bit (!), you need to be getting in touch with the band. For details of how to, see their website at www.fleetwoodbac.com .

As Stevie says on 'The Other Side of the Mirror' ...'You get some ribbons and some bows and get back on the road again'... and so it is the same with Fleetwood Bac. Sporting the most beautiful purple cloak you've ever seen, the Bac's 'Stevie' takes centre stage and enchants her London audience. The different line up means a change of set list and a change in the way they've done things....to doing it sat down!

The first half of the songs (to 'The Chain') were done with 'Lindsey' playing acoustic guitar, giving a new twist to old favourites like 'Gold Dust Woman'. Actually it's hard to actually tell that he is playing an acoustic guitar because the sound is so 'big' for want of a better word - nothing is lacking. A few welcome returns for songs we've not heard much of late; 'Leather and Lace', 'Albatross' and a quite evocative rendition of 'Man of the World'. There were a few cheeky looks coming our way when a certain chord was struck heralding the advent of 'Oh Diane'....and while Pip and I winced along to it, we have to admit that FB don't to a bad version of the song most of us love to hate...as long as they don't make a habit of it!

Quite inspired segue during 'The Chain', during the break where 'John' is revving up his Formula One Bass guitar, there's a quick guitar change from acoustic to electric by 'Lindsey' and before you know it we're off down the back straight at Silverstone and the crowd have gone mental! Great crowd at the Halfmoon last night, they were really packed in and rocking away - extremely appreciative of the band. I am beginning to recognise familiar faces now - FB certainly have a good following at this venue - as they have up and down the country. There were the usual mad people in the audience and Pip and I, (seasoned veterans of FB gigs), looked on with quiet satisfaction as new Firefly Seteca stood seemingly transfixed by the band... we remember those days! I hope you enjoyed them Seteca, we know they're good, but it's always nice when someone discovers it for themselves.

The second half of the gig contained most of the crowd-pleasing heavy hitters; 'Rhiannon','Sisters of the Moon' and the like - and at some point during the second half I lost the hearing in one ear temporarily by being too close to one of the speakers. It's 5pm the following afternoon and I swear my ear is still ringing - they were LOUD!

Lots of blues last night: 'Man of the World', 'Albatross', 'Need Your Love So Bad', 'Black Magic Woman' and the awesome 'Green Manalishi', which was once again magical. Of course I just have to interject here that I have seen the one and only Peter Green doing a couple of these songs this last month...;-) and he is the undisputed master, but the Bac's 'Lindsey' can do them justice, growly voice and all!

Speaking of doing things justice there's a menacing sight behind those drums....scarier even than the scene with the BIG spiders in the current Harry Potter film !! The Bac's 'Mick' has worked really hard to make sure that Mr Fleetwood's mannerisms are replicated, and he glowers away behind that drum kit...spooky! In fact Pip commented that he looked evil last night! He put in some excellent drumming, most notably on 'Albatross' and 'Tusk' where the drums come to the fore.

One of the highlights of the set was the Rumours tour version of 'Never Going Back Again' with the drums and bass added - really excellent, it's getting to be a personal favourite. It is hard to pick out a particular song of the night, mainly because there was just so much to listen to that sounded different; but I think that for me 'The Chain' was the most remarkable for it's 'split personality', starting off all spangly and sweet and ending up like some completely manic rock and roll track...which is exactly what it is!

Next stop...Coventry, Friday November 29th, be there or be a Green Manalishi with a two pronged crown....

Rachel

Set List:

I Don't Want to Know / Gold Dust Woman / Second Hand News / Man of the World / Big Love / Sara / Oh Diane / Gypsy / Landslide / Leather and Lace / Never Going Back / Don't Stop / Dreams / The Chain / Need Your Love So Bad / Stop Draggin' My Heart Around / Albatross / Oh Well / Green Manalishi / Sisters of the Moon / Black Magic Woman / Rhiannon / Go Your Own Way / Encore - Tusk

Last edited by Gypsy-Rhiannon; 11-25-2002 at 03:21 AM..