Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-16-2002, 12:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Question John's Alembic basses...

While looking through a couple of portfolios of pictures of John playing, I notice he appears to have two main Alembics during the Rumours era: this one (Series I with standard point body shape) and this one (Series I with Omega cutout). The latter is puzzling me 'cause it looks like a fretless...

So, the question is: is it? and if so, which song/songs is he playing it on live?
Old 11-16-2002, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: John's Alembic basses...

Quote:
Originally posted by fleetfootmike
[B]While looking through a couple of portfolios of pictures of John playing, I notice he appears to have two main Alembics during the Rumours era: this one (Series I with standard point body shape) and this one (Series I with Omega cutout). The latter is puzzling me 'cause it looks like a fretless... B]
Mike, I think that second pic is from the Tusk Tour, if that helps narrow down the potential songs any.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: John's Alembic basses...

Quote:
Originally posted by fleetfootmike
While looking through a couple of portfolios of pictures of John playing, I notice he appears to have two main Alembics during the Rumours era: this one (Series I with standard point body shape) and this one (Series I with Omega cutout). The latter is puzzling me 'cause it looks like a fretless...

So, the question is: is it? and if so, which song/songs is he playing it on live?
Are you sure this is a Series I? I always thought that it was the Series II which had the Omega cutaway??

Regardless, yes, it is definitely a fretless Alembic. It's a standard option for a Series I or II.

I don't have a clue what song that could be. I don't even know if there is any way of hearing the difference between a fretted or fretless bass/guitar...if there is, I'd sure like to know how!

Whatever song it is, judging by the picture, it looks fast! lol!

p.s. I have a few ideas on how to figure this one out...I like a good challenge...! I'll get back to you if I find anything conclusive!
Old 11-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question I cant recall...

a Mac song from the late 70's era that has a fretless bass...I kinda hear a sound like a fretless bass on the songs "Storms", "Over And Over" & "Think About Me" (It sounds buried in the background music on both songs) and "Tusk", but I think it's the marching band...Maybe when the 5.1 Audio DVD is released we will know if those sounds are a fretless bass or not (Probably not with my luck...lol)...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: I cant recall...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
...I kinda hear a sound like a fretless bass on the songs "Storms", "Over And Over" & "Think About Me".....
What exactly is it that you're looking out for to see if it's fretless or not?

The only thing I can think of is that I guess it would be possible to tell from any slides...? They would surely sound more like half and full tone bends rather than that "slide sound" you get from running your finger across the frets....but a) John's playing is so damn smooth I don't think I'd be able to tell b) you'd have to have a seriously fantastic set of ears!!!

Old 11-17-2002, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Ok...

"They would surely sound more like half and full tone bends rather than that "slide sound" you get from running your finger across the frets....but a) John's playing is so damn smooth I don't think I'd be able to tell b) you'd have to have a seriously fantastic set of ears!!!"

I have to agree with ya on a)John's playing is so damn smooth I don't think I'd be able to tell...But his playing is so smooth that maybe its tricking me into thinking it's a fretless...But at the same time there is something tone wise that reminds me of Tony Franklin's bass playing and he is a strictly fretless bassist (He played on both of "The Firm's" releases and on Blue Murder's first release...)

On b)"you'd have to have a seriously fantastic set of ears!!!"...I hear stuff in songs that most people over look (ie-Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean", I had arguments with people over what you hear in the background of the song...If you listen closely you can hear the telephone ring in the studio as they track the song...lol)

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-17-2002, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I think I got it!!

I'm 95% sure that's John playing a fretless Alembic Series II on The Chain during the Tusk Tour.

Remember, from the DVD-A, during the commentary for The Chain, when it gets to the solo, John says "There was a fretless, Alembic bass lying there in the studio, I picked it up, played a riff, and Chris said 'ooh! that sounds good!'.."

So i fished out my Tusk Doc. video and during the part on The Chain where he plays the bass solo, there is a clear shot of the guitar. It looks identical to (and is most probably the same one as) the one in the picture...

Hope this helps!

Old 11-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Thats cool...

I was going to say I thought I heard a fretless on "the Chain"...Never thought to check out the interviews on the Rumours-DVD...Good call seteca, Brian J.

PS-He played the fretless with a pick which makes it sound so damn heavy...