Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Ledgie

Question When did you...

When did you become a fan & how old are you now?

Just curious to learn more about my fellow Ledgies.

I was 4 & loved "Stop Draggin My Heart Around". I always loved FM too. My mom was always playing them & Buckingham Nicks. I guess I was about 10 when I realized that Stevie was the other "girl" in Fleetwood Mac. I remember saying, "So, that's why I love them both so much!"

I am now 24.

"Searching for silence and dreams that breathe...
If I cannot breathe, then I cannot dream..." SLN
Old 11-05-2002, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Well..

I've been a fan by default since i was a baby...I was named for "Sara",and my family always listened to Stevie and the Mac...but i didn't really appreciate them on my own til 97' when i saw the Dance on tv...I was 17 at that point....it just snowballed from there..getting all the albums on cd,going all over the place to concerts,lol...

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 11-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have the same story as calmsea...I was born into the Mac...now I'm 16.

Old 11-05-2002, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I grew up listening to them. When I was 5, I thought Stevie had a wonderful voice. I became a fan this year,(I really wanted to know who FM were, so I asked my dad for one of theirs cds) when I was 13.(Am still 13)

Last edited by Mac Fan; 11-05-2002 at 01:07 PM..
Old 11-05-2002, 12:59 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To make a long story short, lol...I have been listening to FM and then Stevie probably since I was born...in 1974. (I'm 28 now. )

It wasn't until about a year before the Dance that I became a diehard FM/Stevie fan, though. That was when their music~especially Stevie's~struck something personal. They've really helped me through some tough times.

~~Angela~~
Old 11-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Ledgie

Default Originally posted by EnchantedStorms:

Quote:
That was when their music~especially Stevie's~struck something personal. They've really helped me through some tough times.

Me too! Very tough times. Sometimes it's the ONLY way I could feel better!

But I am much better now! Still if I am angry or upset I turn there, to the music.

And, of course when I am HAPPY!

"Searching for silence and dreams that breathe...
If I cannot breathe, then I cannot dream..." SLN
Old 11-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Originally posted by EnchantedStorms:

Quote:
Originally posted by nicolel118

Me too! Very tough times. Sometimes it's the ONLY way I could feel better!

But I am much better now! Still if I am angry or upset I turn there, to the music.

And, of course when I am HAPPY!
That's what I do but I try not to listen to Rumours.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart You could only think...

...about bad love affairs when you listen to some songs of Fleetwood Mac (i.e. the ones from Rumours). And I was having a terrible love relationship and having to deal with all the suffering led me to think that at some point I had seen some MTV Behind The Music special about a band in which there were people having twisted relationships, and still having to work together, and were able to produce good things with those limitations... Familiar only with some songs like "Dreams", "Don't Stop", "Sara" and "Go Your Own Way", my sister gave me the 1988 Greatest Hits CD as my 2000 birthday gift. I will always be thankful about that... Their music and lyrics were very healing, knowing that, indeed, bad relationships are actually... part of life.

Song of the moment - Caught In The Rain
Old 11-05-2002, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard Fleetwood Mac for the first time in 1984, by watching Formula One which had The Chain as its soundtrack.

The first FM song I really liked was Big Love when it was released in 1987.

I became a mega-fan in 1997/8 thanks to The Dance.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb My story...

I became a FANATIC of FM/Lindsey last April when I watched National Lampoons Vacation and heard Holiday Road/Dancin Across the USA and I've always loved the songs, but didn't know who sang em...so thanks to the internet...I did some research, found Lindsey Buckingham's solo albums, bought OOTC and Go Insane (I was a lil wary of L&O, as of right then..LOL) and I fell in love with Lindsey's music...and found out he played in Fleetwood Mac (I remembered them as a kid...Little Lies and Dreams being two songs I loved, but didn't know THEY sang those songs! BTW, I used to think Stevie was a witch when I was a kid... LOL ) Anywho, I started with the 1988 GH CD, and then got Tango, Mirage...then the rest...and that is how it happened.

I'm 26, btw.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb I forgot to say...

that I'm 20.

Song of the moment - Caught In The Rain
Old 11-05-2002, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Well....

I remeber seeing Little Lies on music video channels as a little kid. I thought Christine looked pretty scary in that big straw hat - lol!!!!! (These days I'm still scared - by Lindsey's lip-synching!)

The 97 Dance hooplah passed unnoticed to me, being young and in Australia. But about 1999 when I listened to the classic hits station every morning on the way to school I got very intrigued by the song with 'miracles' and 'the ways of magic' in it, which was played so much it became like a game with myself to see if I could catch it. Then investigation into the world of FM ensued. I got the 88 GH cd and played it lots, but it was 'Sara' which I dubbed to a tape of my favourite radio captures, a tape which I listened to ad nauseum during my final high school year doing homework etc. Sara worked its magic!

That's the point I'm still at after all these years. It's Christine classic pop that got me at all interested in them, then it was Stevie's magical voice and lyrics, then it was realising the talent of Lindsey behind the arrangement and production of them both. And of course the legacy of the earlier FMs miantained by John and Mick.

I'm 19 now, 2nd year uni. My CD collection grows steadily, including Greatest Hits, The Dance, Tusk, OOTC, The Dance DVD, and (when it goes on sale in a week!) VBOFM. (plus the Rumours LP)
Old 11-06-2002, 03:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

I became a fan in '97 when listening to my mom's old records, but I didn't know about The Dance until a bit later. I'm (almost) 20 now.

~Emma~
"I am not what you'd call an envelope-pusher," Nicks says. "Lindsey is there to make sure our band isn't too safe. I'm there to make sure it isn't too nuts. It's all about that balance between us." ~NY Daily News
Old 11-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I became a fan about 5 years ago, shortly before the Dance came out. I just couldn't stop listening to this great band, and still can't. They are simply the BEST!!

And I'm 18 now.

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 11-06-2002, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I borrowed my friend Paul's "Rumours" album in 1977 ... & probably never returned it. Some friends dragged me along to some Fleetwood shows that year. By the time "Tusk" was ready for market, we were primed. "Tusk" was virtually the only pop record I played that year, & I was as hooked as any Machead could be. I started tracking down concert photos & tapes in the collectors' magazines, articles & reviews in newspapers (I learned how to use the Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature for this very purpose) & TV appearances, & attending practically all the California stops on their concert tours. I was really Mac-hooked at that point.

I moved slowly but surely into the pre-1975 Mac years, buying the old albums & reading up on the band's history. I'm glad I did; it really further ingratiated the band to me. Just knowing that they had made such interesting music was a kick.

By the late 1980s, I was bored with the band. Since then, I've had to reinvent them in my mind over & over again. But I've never had another favorite band. And I don't think there's ever been a time since the late 1970s when Fleetwood Mac hasn't made me drop everything & come running.

"I'll hassle them & I'll scream at them & I'll scold them --- but I'll never leave them."[Stevie Nicks, 1979]