Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hypnotized

I know that hypnotized was originally written for Dave Walker to sing the lead part on. OMG what a nightmare that wouldve been. I think a good sentence for any disgraced fleetwood mac fan would to be to have to listen to I'm a road runner from Penguin like 1000 times in a row. Just out of curiosity, is there a dema of that song with Dave singing ?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I know that hypnotized was originally written for Dave Walker to sing the lead part on. OMG what a nightmare that wouldve been. I think a good sentence for any disgraced fleetwood mac fan would to be to have to listen to I'm a road runner from Penguin like 1000 times in a row. Just out of curiosity, is there a dema of that song with Dave singing ?
No, there's no demo in circulation of Dave singing "Hypnotized". I'm not even sure that they had even gotten that far as to actually recording the song with Dave on lead vocals. I don't think I'd even want to hear that.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing Dave Walker's rendition. Couldn't be any worse than Lindsey's "mosquito on helium" versions from the 1975/76 tour...at least, Dave would probably sing the right lyrics since Bob would be there prompting him.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing Dave Walker's rendition. Couldn't be any worse than Lindsey's "mosquito on helium" versions from the 1975/76 tour...at least, Dave would probably sing the right lyrics since Bob would be there prompting him.
Yeah, I don't think Lindsey had the voice to sing "Hypnotized". I wonder what it would have sounded like if Chris had done the vocals instead. She did a pretty nice job with Peter Green's "Jumping At Shadows".
Old 06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I'd rather Stevie have done the song. I think it was better suited to her overall vibe.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Actually, I'd rather Stevie have done the song. I think it was better suited to her overall vibe.
Yeah, good point...and, at the time they were doing the song, she only HAD two lead vocal songs in their set..."Rhiannon" & "Landslide". It DEFINITELY would've been a better fit for her. Even vocally...it wouldn't have been all that taxing on her voice.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I like 'I'm A Road Runner' - the harmonica is very good and the vocal sounds just fine to me. I wonder how many people really don't like it, and how many people are just tainted by others' opinions
Old 06-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I like 'I'm A Road Runner' - the harmonica is very good and the vocal sounds just fine to me. I wonder how many people really don't like it, and how many people are just tainted by others' opinions
Put me down for a "yuck". It's not that it is a "bad song"...geez, Jr. Walker & the All-Stars' version is awesome. FMac's is just...well, "LACKING" something...well, A LOT, actually...just is really monotonous & boring. Dave DOES play a smashing harmonica AND he sings it well, though. But, that's really the best thing I can come up with about that track. It's not DAVE's parts that make the song so weak...Fleetwood Mac behind him on that track really don't do justice to the song.

I'm just surprised that they couldn't have come up with ANOTHER song for Dave to sing lead on. Even done the Motown song that Dave already had done with Savoy Brown on the Street Corner Talkin' album..."Can't Get Next To You"...THAT would've been great with Christine & the two Bob's singing backgrounds. Actually, that Savoy Brown track actually fits the Penguin vibe moreso than "Roadrunner".
Old 06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Put me down for a "yuck". It's not that it is a "bad song"...geez, Jr. Walker & the All-Stars' version is awesome. FMac's is just...well, "LACKING" something...well, A LOT, actually...just is really monotonous & boring. Dave DOES play a smashing harmonica AND he sings it well, though. But, that's really the best thing I can come up with about that track. It's not DAVE's parts that make the song so weak...Fleetwood Mac behind him on that track really don't do justice to the song.

I'm just surprised that they couldn't have come up with ANOTHER song for Dave to sing lead on. Even done the Motown song that Dave already had done with Savoy Brown on the Street Corner Talkin' album..."Can't Get Next To You"...THAT would've been great with Christine & the two Bob's singing backgrounds. Actually, that Savoy Brown track actually fits the Penguin vibe moreso than "Roadrunner".
Yeah, I'd agree with most of that. If anything it seems like Mac can't keep up with Walker's enthusiasm for the song. And yes, there must have been many songs they could have done which would have suited the album better - it does stick out a bit on a fairly mellow album. I guess they had their reasons for a) choosing to do a cover and b) choosing THAT one, it just seems like they lost their way a bit in the ideas department. I still enjoy listening to it though and I prefer it to almost anything off TITN
Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like the song, as well as "The Derelict." But, I just don't think Dave Walker's music really fit the rest of the album. It would be like having two or three of Jeremy Spencer's Elmore James imitations on "Rumours."

Overall, I think that the production value, or complete lack thereof to be more specific, is what kills "Penguin." It sounds like Fleetwood Mac's take on being a great garage band. Which is a shame, because I think Christine had three solid songs, Bob Welch had two moments of brilliance ("Revelation" and "Nightwatch"), and Weston had a solid instrumental. I've wondered what would have happened had they taken their time with this one and brought in another five or six good songs while paying more attention to detail. It could have been one of the band's better albums. Of course, being sandwiched between "Bare Trees" and "Mystery To Me" doesn't help its cause.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
It would be like having two or three of Jeremy Spencer's Elmore James imitations on "Rumours."
Now there's a thought
Old 06-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default response

Quote:
Good point. I shouldnt have been so harsh perhaps