Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow DISCUSSION: Peter's songs from Mr. Wonderful

Here's the discussion thread for Peter Green's songs from the Mr. Wonderful album.

Peter's Songs

1. Stop Messin' Round
2. Rollin' Man
3. Love That Burns
4. If You Be My Baby
5. Lazy Poker Blues
6. Trying So Hard to Forget

Check out the sticky thread on the Rumours forum for the latest info on the FM Battle of the Songs.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All of them are great. I like Rollin' Man the most, particularly because the call-response thing between the horns and guitar are interesting (they also pre-figure the Green-Kirwan interactions on TPO) and because this song really showcases the Fleetwood-McVie-C. McVie trio at their best. You can hear the foundation of the latter-day Mac sound on this song.

Lazy Poker Blues is a lot of fun, as is Stop Messing Around.

Trying So Hard to Forget is intense.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter shines in Mr Wonderful

Stop Messing Round's opening riff is a "to die for" sound for a blues band guitarist. A great opener. this song just rocks!
Rollin Man is a spectacular takeoff on BB Kings "Woke Up This Morning (My Babys Gone) and is the brightest jewel here
Love That Burns just oozes the Blooze in every way and Christine Perfects piano is fabulous in the fade
If you be my baby is a sweet rendition with a nice feel
I wish Lazy Poker had more verses. In the few known recordings of this song I am not sure this is the best rendition. I think like the live one that he lets Danny Kirwan do the solo in the middle break more,
Trying so hard to forget is another smoldering blues sendup

Peter just shines in these sessions. His tone is so articulate and perfect. I so wish that...........................
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "What can you say, it isn't hard to tell..."

All six tracks are extremely strong, but "Love That Burns" should be one of the major contributors to Peter Green's legacy as a guitarist. The guitar solo is so good, it's what Peter doesn't play, and how he spaces his notes. While I'm sure Gary Moore meant well with his tribute to Peter Green (with Peter Green's guitar) in 1995, this is where he lacked Peter's gift of dynamics, space, and heart.

As for the rest, "Rollin' Man" is a monster on the album, especially live with Danny Kirwan. "Stop Messin' Round", is just intensity. "Trying So Hard to Forget" sounds very personal, not like his version of J.B. Lenoir's "Alabama Blues" from Mayall's "A Hard Road".

The outtake version of "Lazy Poker Blues" (heard years later), has a more "salt of the earth" quality compared to the Mr. Wonderful studio version. Yet it all goes back to "Love That Burns".

There's a person in the U.S. who sells Gibson Les Pauls' with pickups that emulate the Peter Green tone for a very good price (cvguitars.com). It's apparent to me this person has a passion for Peter Green's music, and he's learned to play his material very well (Youtube). He claims that "Love That Burns" is the hardest PG guitar solo to emulate. While I just wrote reads like a corporate plug, it is not. I found him through Google. I think this person is doing a good service out of passion, because his guitars sell for a fair, if not less than market value price.

Last edited by slipkid; 09-01-2010 at 11:55 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
All six tracks are extremely strong, but "Love That Burns" should be one of the major contributors to Peter Green's legacy as a guitarist. The guitar solo is so good, it's what Peter doesn't play, and how he spaces his notes. While I'm sure Gary Moore meant well with his tribute to Peter Green (with Peter Green's guitar) in 1995, this is where he lacked Peter's gift of dynamics, space, and heart.

As for the rest, "Rollin' Man" is a monster on the album, especially live with Danny Kirwan. "Stop Messin' Round", is just intensity. "Trying So Hard to Forget" sounds very personal, not like his version of J.B. Lenoir's "Alabama Blues" from Mayall's "A Hard Road".

The outtake version of "Lazy Poker Blues" (heard years later), has a more "salt of the earth" quality compared to the Mr. Wonderful studio version. Yet it all goes back to "Love That Burns".

There's a person in the U.S. who sells Gibson Les Pauls' with pickups that emulate the Peter Green tone for a very good price (cvguitars.com). It's apparent to me this person has a passion for Peter Green's music, and he's learned to play his material very well (Youtube). He claims that "Love That Burns" is the hardest PG guitar solo to emulate. While I just wrote reads like a corporate plug, it is not. I found him through Google. I think this person is doing a good service out of passion, because his guitars sell for a fair, if not less than market value price.
Larry Corsa is really serious about PG stuff, and a great player. I'm hoping to meet him and play a few PG tunes together at BB King's in NY someday...
Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default in NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Larry Corsa is really serious about PG stuff, and a great player. I'm hoping to meet him and play a few PG tunes together at BB King's in NY someday...
Just tell me when you're coming. I'll meet you there.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Sure I'll let you know, that would be so cool vinnie.

When I was young I didn't want to go to US, but now I'm ready - hopefully next year
Old 09-04-2010, 03:06 AM
Ledgie

Default This sounds good

Doodyhead:-

Zoork_1:-
Sure I'll let you know, that would be so cool vinnie.
When I was young I didn't want to go to US, but now I'm ready - hopefully next year

Make sure the result is put on YouTube

Last edited by Norton; 09-06-2010 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: missed quotes & typo
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Review of Mr. Wonderful in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer by David Bowling, Blogcritics.com 10-18-2010

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Music Review: Fleetwood Mac - Mr. WonderfulBy DAVID BOWLING
BLOGCRITICS.ORG

Fleetwood Mac released Mr. Wonderful a mere seven months after their self-titled debut. Much like that album, they proved to be extremely popular in the United Kingdom, reaching number ten on their charts. I have to say it featured one of the ugliest jackets in rock history. The album was revised and renamed English Rose in The United States with an equally ugly cover, but received little attention and did not chart.

Their second release had some high points but not the consistency of the first. The core band of drummer Mick Fleetwood, bassist John McVie, and guitarists Peter Green & Jeremy Spencer were still in place. A number of additional musicians were on hand, including four saxophonists and harmonica player Duster Bennett. The most notable session player was keyboardist Christine Perfect of Chicken Shack, who would go on to have a long and storied history with the band.

When Fleetwood Mac was on, they were very good. But there was trouble in paradise, as Green and Spencer did not play with each other on five of the songs.

The best two tracks are “Trying Hard To Forget,” which combines the acoustic guitar talents of Green with those of harp player Duster Bennett, and the traditional blues tune “Dust My Broom,” which does not include Green but does include terrific slide guitar by Spencer. The two tracks present both sides of Fleetwood Mac separately, which did not bode well for this line-up.

The best of the other Spencer tracks are “I’ve Lost My Baby,” and “Evenin’ Boogie.” Spencer is one of the lost treasures of the late sixties and early seventies slide guitar, and he shines here.

Peter Green’s main advantage was the caliber of his vocals plus the fact he was a more versatile guitarist who created one of the purist sounds in rock music at the time. His “Stop Messin’ Round,” “Love That Burns,” and “If You Be My Baby,” are all examples of his smooth style.

Fleetwood and McVie were beginning to jell as the rhythm section and they were a constant on this album. They would also remember Christine Perfect's contributions.

Mr. Wonderful was a competent, if not exceptional album. Green would recognize the need for change and would make a big one before their next album was released.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default doodyhead knows one when he sees one

The reviewer of this album MR Wonderful is full of ****.....oops did I missspell doody?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face Vinnie the ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
The reviewer of this album MR Wonderful is full of ****.....oops did I missspell doody?

Being from northern Europe I don't know what "doody" means....but I think I do now! But then : what is it being "A doodyhead"???

And now for something completely different: Yes, that reviewer has no ears and no heart. "...are all examples of his smooth style"......My a***!

Ms Moose
Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Mr. Wonderful was a competent, if not exceptional album. Green would recognize the need for change and would make a big one before their next album was released.
You know he has a point.....the Pg tracks on the disc are sublime here but as an album its not one i have ever played start to finish without skipping tracks. Not till Future games Do fleetwood mac make a consistent album were each track is nearly as strong as the next.
However saying that it is what it is and thats a great british blues album with loads of BAllS!