The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Maybe I missed an earlier thread...

As many of you probably know, Starbucks sells CDs of songs hand-picked by various celebrities. On the disc of tunes picked by Elvis Costello, one of his choices was "Oh Well, Part 1".

That's it. Nothing more. I was just surprised to see it, so I had to post about it.

OH...wait...there IS more....

...and what else surprised me was that on the disc of tunes picked by Sheryl Crow, there's not one Stevie Nicks tune. I think that was more surprising than EC's choice of "Oh Well".
Old 01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
As many of you probably know, Starbucks sells CDs of songs hand-picked by various celebrities. On the disc of tunes picked by Elvis Costello, one of his choices was "Oh Well, Part 1".

That's it. Nothing more. I was just surprised to see it, so I had to post about it.

...and what else surprised me was that on the disc of tunes picked by Sheryl Crow, there's not one Stevie Nicks tune. I think that was more surprising than EC's choice of "Oh Well".
I recall about six or seven years back, EC wrote an article for Vanity Fair or some such magazine about his top however many favorite albums, and I believe Then Play On was on it. One or two other earlier Mac albums may also have been on there.

Do you remember what else was on EC's disc?

EDIT: I found the Vanity Fair article - http://www.elviscostello.info/articl...r.001101a.html Then Play On isn't on there; Greatest Hits is, with "Man of the World" listed as the standout track. EC also notes in his introduction that "the 'Fleetwood Mac' contained herein is the great group led by Peter Green, not the California mob with Stevie Nicks." (He also writes: "If you want something from Los Angeles in the early 70s, I suggest you purchase the first Jackson Browne record; it will save you buying all those Eagles albums." I wholeheartedly agree.)

Last edited by Jyqm; 01-09-2006 at 01:15 PM..
Old 01-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hadn't heard about that Starbucks CD specifically, but there have been at least a couple of threads here related to Elvis being a fan of Peter Green:
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=17156
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=16262
Old 01-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Do you remember what else was on EC's disc?
I don't remember, but here's the link to the page:

Starbucks Artist's Choice: Elvis Costello
Old 01-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well that certainly does surprise me about Cheryl, but at least Elvis proved he has good taste..
Old 01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm thinking that they weren't given the rights to use any of Stevie's tunes, therefore the absence of hers. It's just too weird for Sheryl NOT to include at least ONE Stevie Nicks tune.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm thinking that they weren't given the rights to use any of Stevie's tunes, therefore the absence of hers. It's just too weird for Sheryl NOT to include at least ONE Stevie Nicks tune.
ONe of my favorite sayinsg FIRST THING TO DO IS KILL ALL THE LAWYERS.....
Old 01-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

cD - i think there were earlier threads but i can't remember where they are.

w/r to the elvis peter green connection: here's a link on an elvis c website where ec admits that 'man of the world' was the first song he learned on guitar. he also recollects seeing pete in a local record shop in the '60s in twickenham...

http://www.elviscostello.info/articl...e.040922a.html

the other connection is via bruce thomas the attactions bassit who is/was a huge peter green fan. there is a great interview with bruce from one of the peter green features in english music press in early 90's before pete started his comeback. in this bruce tells the story of ec begrudingly admitting pete g.'s greatness... i think this is in the mojo '94 peter green feature but i could be wong about that...

zero

edit: i see sf2k found the previos threads. how does he do that so quickly

Last edited by mzero; 01-09-2006 at 02:50 PM..
Old 01-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Jyqm]I recall about six or seven years back, EC wrote an article for Vanity Fair or some such magazine about his top however many favorite albums, and I believe Then Play On was on it. One or two other earlier Mac albums may also have been on there.

I remember that article. His pick was FM's Greatest Hits from 1971, the one with "Dragonfly" on it. His favorite song on it was "Man of the World." He said something like "Fleetwood Mac, the blues band, not the California mob with Stevie Nicks."
Old 01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't remember, but here's the link to the page:

Starbucks Artist's Choice: Elvis Costello
Hmm. Not necessarily what I'd have expected, except for the Nick Lowe and George Jones songs. Track 15 is priceless, though. "I just can't get enough of my new wife's cover of one of my own songs..."

Last edited by Jyqm; 01-09-2006 at 04:45 PM..
Old 01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Hmm. Not necessarily what I'd have expected, except for the Nick Lowe and George Jones songs. Track 15 is priceless, though. "I just can't enough of my new wife's cover of one of my own songs..."
No surprise then that Diana's picks include an Attractions track.

Strangely, no Ravi Shankar for Norah Jones...
Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
ONe of my favorite sayinsg FIRST THING TO DO IS KILL ALL THE LAWYERS.....
Careful there...my mom's an attorney...not all attorneys, just put the greedy ones in a boat, and send to shark infested waters, without a paddle.