Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Definitive Fleetwood Mac Song Contest (1970-1974): Official Thread

This are the songs that are officially released during 1970-1974. There are 63 songs that are officially released all in all. The goal is to trim this era down into 36 songs, or equivalent to a double disc set. Kindly look over the list of songs. If there are any additions or changes, feel free to let me know.
  • Since the house is divided based on feedback, I decided that the polls will decide which songs should not be included in the set.
  • Polls are to be done in chronological order.
  • Two polls for Kiln House, Bare Trees, Mystery to Me and Heroes are Hard to Find since there are more than 10 songs for those eras.
  • Polls are multiple choice.
  • Songs must get at least 50% of the vote to be eliminated.

List of Songs
***Songs that are eliminated are to be highlighted in red.***

Kiln House (1970)
Poll #1: This Is the Rock; Station Man; Blood on the Floor; Hi Ho Silver; Jewel Eyed Judy; Buddy's Song
Poll #2: Earl Gray; One Together; Tell Me All the Things You Do; Mission Bell; Dragonfly; The Purple Dancer

Future Games (1971)
Poll #3: Woman of 1000 Years; Morning Rain; What a Shame; Future Games; Sands of Time; Sometimes; Lay It All Down; Show Me A Smile

Bare Trees (1972)
Poll #4: Child of Mine; The Ghost; Homeward Bound; Sunny Side of Heaven; Bare Trees; Sentimental Lady
Poll #5: Danny's Chant; Spare Me A Little; Dust; Thoughts on a Grey Day; Trinity

Penguin (1973)
Poll #6: Remember Me; Bright Fire; Dissatisfied; (I'm a) Road Runner; The Derelict; Revelation; Did You Ever Love Me; Night Watch; Caught in the Rain

Mystery to Me (1973)
Poll #7: Emerald Eyes; Believe Me; Just Crazy Love; Hypnotized; Forever; Keep on Going
Poll #8: The City; Miles Away; Somebody; The Way I Feel; For Your Love; Why

Heroes are Hard to Find (1974)
Poll #9: Heroes are Hard to Find; Coming Home; Angel; Bermuda Triangle; Come a Little Bit Closer; She's Changing Me
Poll #10: Bad Loser; Silver Heels; Prove Your Love; Born Enchanter; Safe Harbour

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie

Last edited by applebucked; 11-02-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

'Thoughts on a Grey Day' isn't a Fleetwood Mac song. It's a poem, read by an old lady.

GJK
Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
'Thoughts on a Grey Day' isn't a Fleetwood Mac song. It's a poem, read by an old lady.

GJK
But it is part of a Fleetwood Mac album (for some reason).

Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, Thoughts on a Grey Day needs to be included. Most likely it will "win" and not be included in the final set of songs.

Looks good how you got it set up. Just remind everybody to vote for the songs they believe are not definitive and shouldn't be on the set.

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 10-25-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Old 10-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. I've already posted the first poll.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really wish I'd seen this thread before you posted the first poll, because I think voting against songs is creepy and weird. I really don't like this format, at all. The positive voting method worked great when we were doing the Christine voting, and it was fun. I don't see why there is any need to change it. Plus it's confusing; I almost guarantee some voters won't read the rules. Oh, well. I guess I just won't participate in this poll.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I can see both sides of the issue. Voting for the "bad" ones is more negative and gives the focus to those "bad" songs. Whereas, voting for the "good" ones is more positive and gives the focus to those "good" songs. Remember too, nicepace applebucked's set will be a 2-disc set with about 36 songs, only eliminating 27 or so songs.

I plan to participate, though I wish these songs were available on amazon/spotify and more available.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just can't bring myself to vote "against" a song. There are very few (if any) songs in this era of the band that I dislike enough that I would actually enjoy voting against them. I enjoy casting a positive vote - not a negative one. Oh well, that's just me. I don't have to play if I don't like the rules.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I just can't bring myself to vote "against" a song. There are very few (if any) songs in this era of the band that I dislike enough that I would actually enjoy voting against them. I enjoy casting a positive vote - not a negative one. Oh well, that's just me. I don't have to play if I don't like the rules.
I wanted to do the "positive" voting for this as much as you do, but based on the feedback with all of the people posting their lists on the other thread about pitching the idea, a "positive" poll will likely not lead to anything substantial as the lists are so scattered (with a few exceptions). But again, it's your choice.

And if this makes you feel any better, if there are more songs that made the cut you can participate in the second round (which is a "positive" kind of vote).

Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Since I can't edit the OP anymore, here are the results so far. Eliminated ones in red, while those who got at least 40% are in blue:

Kiln House (1970)
Poll #1: This Is the Rock; Station Man; Blood on the Floor; Hi Ho Silver; Jewel Eyed Judy; Buddy's Song
Poll #2: Earl Gray; One Together; Tell Me All the Things You Do; Mission Bell; Dragonfly; The Purple Dancer

Future Games (1971)
Poll #3: Woman of 1000 Years; Morning Rain; What a Shame; Future Games; Sands of Time; Sometimes; Lay It All Down; Show Me A Smile

Bare Trees (1972)
Poll #4: Child of Mine; The Ghost; Homeward Bound; Sunny Side of Heaven; Bare Trees; Sentimental Lady
Poll #5: Danny's Chant; Spare Me A Little; Dust; Thoughts on a Grey Day; Trinity

Penguin (1973)
Poll #6: Remember Me; Bright Fire; Dissatisfied; (I'm a) Road Runner; The Derelict; Revelation; Did You Ever Love Me; Night Watch; Caught in the Rain

Mystery to Me (1973)
Poll #7: Emerald Eyes; Believe Me; Just Crazy Love; Hypnotized; Forever; Keep on Going

Poll #9: Heroes are Hard to Find; Coming Home; Angel; Bermuda Triangle; Come a Little Bit Closer; She's Changing Me
Poll #10: Bad Loser; Silver Heels; Prove Your Love; Born Enchanter; Safe Harbour

Last edited by applebucked; 11-17-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So far not many songs are being eliminated. Of course we got the everybody's favorite album coming later on - Penguin!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
So far not many songs are being eliminated. Of course we got the everybody's favorite album coming later on - Penguin!
There are lots of 40-something percents, however (3 from Kiln House, 2 from Future Games, possibly another one from Bare Trees). I'll most likely do another poll for those songs before Round 2.

Last edited by applebucked; 11-13-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Updated list:

Kiln House (1970)

Future Games (1971)

Bare Trees (1972)

Penguin (1973)

Mystery to Me (1973)

Last edited by applebucked; 12-02-2013 at 04:21 AM..
Old 12-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Although it's too early to tell, based on the results from the final poll (Heroes, pt. 2) so far, 26 songs will be eliminated if we include all the 40%-49% songs (the songs indicated in blue) among those to be taken out. Should they be included among those removed?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Final Results for Round 1:

Kiln House (1970)

Future Games (1971)

Bare Trees (1972)

Penguin (1973)

Mystery to Me (1973)