Old 01-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Pasadena Star News by Steve Smith, January 24, 2014
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/arts...n-tonight-show

Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Jeremy Spencer is back

Jeremy Spencer, who with Peter Green, were founding guitarists in Fleetwood Mac in July 1967, will undertake his first U.S. tour in 43 years (when The Mac toured in 1971), according to his website.

The 30-date jaunt begins Feb. 12 with an in-store appearance at Fingerprints in Long Beach and wraps March 31 at Iridium in New York with The Les Paul Trio. Other appearances include Feb. 13 at Largo in Los Angeles and Feb 14 at LeStats in San Diego.

Spencer abruptly left Fleetwood Mac in February 1971 before the band’s scheduled gig at the Whiskey a Go Go. He then turned up as a member of Children of God, a Christian-based religious cult formed in Huntington Beach. The cult. of which Spencer remains a member, changed its name to Family International. Drummer Mick Fleetwood says Spencer and Green were both negatively affected by a bad mescaline trip they each took early on that tour.

The guitarist released five solo albums since 1970 and is expected to perform songs from those albums as well as delving deeply into tunes from his Fleetwood Mac days. Spencer will be backed by two bands depending on the location, The Evie Sands Band; and a band fronted by guitarist-back-up singer Brett Lucas.
Facts: Did not take mescaline on 'that tour', and Peter was not with us.
Will play a couple, but will not 'delve deeply' into tunes from FM days on this tour
Old 01-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
Facts: Did not take mescaline on 'that tour', and Peter was not with us.
Will play a couple, but will not 'delve deeply' into tunes from FM days on this tour
bad infos made for bad journalism.......a pity.......
Mario.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Updates on Jeremy Spencer Tour

Hi all! - Pretty exciting tour coming together for Jeremy - just wanted to update the tour schedule as it has changed since the press release went out. Some of these are slide guitar workshops - that's Westwood Music, Old Town School of Folk Music, and Passim's - and there will be both a workshop and a gig at Jalopy Theater in Brooklyn. We know Jeremy is looking forward to seeing many of you there! ps: Appreciate your help in spreading the word about the tour, new release & Kickstarter - Thanks!

Feb 12th - Fingerprints Record store (in store appearance), Long Beach
Feb 13th - Largo at the Coronet, Los Angeles
Feb 14th - LeStats, San Diego
Feb 15th - Westwood Music (slide guitar workshop), Long Beach
Feb 16th - Soho, Santa Barbara
Feb 17th - The Chapel, San Francisco
Feb 19th - Moe's Alley, Santa Cruz
Feb 20th - Miner's Foundry, Nevada City
Feb 22nd - Freight & Salvage (slide guitar workshop), Berkeley
Feb 23rd - Columbia City Theater, Seattle
Feb 28th - Winchester Hall, Cleveland
Mar 1st - Callahan's, Auburn Hills MI - Release Party!
Mar 2nd - The Ark, Ann Arbor
Mar 6th - Shank Hall, Milwaukee
Mar 7th - Buddy Guy's Legends, Chicago
Mar 8th - Rosa's Lounge, Chicago
Mar 8th - Old Town School of Folk Music (slide guitar workshop), Chicago
Mar 9th - Empty Bottle, Chicago
Mar 12th - Love & War in Texas, Plano, TX
Mar 13th - 16th (exact date & time TBA) SXSW, Austin
Mar 20th - Regattabar, Cambridge MA
Mar 21st - Black Eyed Sally's, Hartford CT
Mar 22nd - Passim's, Cambridge (slide guitar workshop)
Mar 22nd - Bearsville Theater, Woodstock NY
Mar 23rd - Turning Point, Piermont NY
Mar 24th - BB Kings, New York
Mar 27th - Sellersville Theater, Sellersville, PA
Mar 28th - Splatter Concerts, Whippany NY
Mar 29th - The Saint, Ashbury Park NJ
Mar 30th - Jalopy Theater, Brooklyn NY
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Record Collector, February 1, 2014 by Sam Epstein

http://recordcollectornews.com/2014/...encer-returns/

THE ORIGINAL FLEETWOOD MAC BLUESMAN IS BACK WITH A NEW ALBUM AND TOUR

The last time Jeremy Spencer was scheduled to play with Fleetwood Mac at the Whiskey in 1971 is the stuff of legend. He stepped out for a smoke before the show and disappeared, leaving his bandmates in the lurch. A few days later they found him living with a religious commune, seemingly destined to be little more than a rock history footnote.

As Spencer told Bill Wasserzieher in a wide-ranging, 2006 interview (rocksbackpages.com), “I was merely filling the role of being a showman, but with unoriginal material and parodying, which pretty much became just mimicking Elvis in a gold lamé suit. This was very unsatisfying, to say the least. I can’t say it enough, that the lack of creative inspiration for me was devastating. It was practically killing me, along with my questions about life and what was I living for. Nothing seemed to have any purpose. I really did feel like Solomon, that ‘all is vanity,’ although I’d gotten to that point at only 22 years old. And bottom line, I just didn’t enjoy playing anymore.”

He resurfaced with a pair of sporadic releases, Columbia’s 1972 Jeremy Spencer and The Children and Atlantic Record’s 1978 Flee; both offhandedly dismissed, as they didn’t resemble Jeremy Spencer — the blues hero of yore. Then nothing.

In 1998, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame welcomed two versions of Fleetwood Mac into its ranks: One the famous Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie, John McVie lineup, and their celebrity romantic interplay played out in song. Their 1977 album Rumours stayed on the pop charts for 134 weeks. The other, earlier version of Fleetwood Mac began life in 1967and barely lasted into the 1970s before guitarists Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan left, one by one, each suffering from some combination of mental, spiritual, and emotional breakdowns. One group epitomized mega-selling ‘70s and ‘80s rock; the other were Britain’s most authentic blues band with a succession of wondrous records: “Black Magic Woman,” “Oh Well,” “Albatross,” “The Green Manalishi,” “Man of The World,” “Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight” and the album Then Play On. Both shared the name Fleetwood Mac, but only the rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie linked the two. At the Hall of Fame that night both Fleetwood Macs were represented. Jeremy Spencer could have been onstage too, but he wasn’t. He was half a world away in India, playing charity benefits for the blind.

The message that Jeremy is alive and extremely well came in 2006 with the release of Precious Little on Blind Pig. Like a bolt from the blue his resurrection upended the “What ever happened to?” theorizers and astonished critics, pundits and bloggers:

Quote:
Precious Little ranks as a near perfect comeback record by a master musician who has a unerring feel for the blues. Filled with subtle shadings, beautiful playing, a deeply emotional feel and nary a trace of rock excess, Spencer proves he’s a bluesman of the highest order – Jeff Harris, Bad Dog Blues
“All of Spencer’s trademark elements are intact on Precious Little: the earnest, boyish tenor, the silky slide work, the spirited Chicago blues and Memphis rockabilly…” – Uncut.

“Spencer sounds both confident and relaxed throughout this set of parlor blues, and his slide guitar is nothing less than virtuosic” – No Depression.

“In recent years,” he told Wasserzieher, “I felt I just wanted something to be out there for those that are interested, an album that I was musically happy with and that was representative of me now, with no pressure of opinions, preconceived ideas of how I should be ‘marketed,’ and trends…

“It did take some courage just to do it, regardless of what I imagined people would expect of me in terms of a “comeback” style — you know, big, flashy, and screaming. “Come on, Jer, give us the ol’ piss-takes and ‘Shake Your Moneymaker’.” I wanted it small, simple, and uncluttered. Collectively, including the engineers, it seemed we were always unconsciously thinking small, tasteful. If there was anything I wanted to prove, it was that I could do just that and have a listenable product that the public and even I would enjoy.”

In 2010, Spencer followed up with a limited edition, double vinyl album for International Record Store Day emblematically entitled: Bend In the Road. It was a result of a suggestion to team up with a young band of Fleetwood enthusiasts. The musical chemistry was instant and inspiring. So much so that 32 diverse tracks were laid down creating an album that moves confidently from blues to Americana to rootsy pop. The Elmore James and Buddy Holly influences and impeccable blues and rock renderings remain intact and vibrant.

Making a full-blown return now, and with visa in hand, Jeremy has just announced an ambitious D.I.Y February and March U.S. tour in support of both the critically acclaimed Bend in the Road and forthcoming Coventry Blue release. Coventry Blue boldly extends his musical sweep, furthering his creative exploration with his blues roots undercurrent. Considering his career output, this marks an especially prolific and courageous period for Spencer with two albums released in just two years and mounting of support tour.

For the latter, he has Spencer taken a bold step by embracing crowd funding by launching a Kickstarter campaign to generate tour seed money, fund the new CD and connect directly with fans.

Kickstarter supporters will be eligible to receive previously un-released tracks, autographed CDs, vinyl, posters, original artwork, attend slide guitar workshops, meet and greets, even private concerts. A members-only Tour Club has been created that will provide exclusive live video and audio performances from the tour.
Except for a few brief U.S. appearances in 2006 and 2010, 43 years have passed since Jeremy last toured here with Fleetwood Mac in 1971. He is still arguably the foremost Elmore James stylist alive. Bar none.

His tour band will include Brett Lucas (Bettye Lavette), as well as Brill Building alum, Northern Soul legend and left-handed upside-down guitarist, singer-songwriter Evie Sands. Welcome back!

Donate: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ry-bl?ref=live
Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Los Angeles Daily News, by Richard Guzman, February 7, 2014

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-en...-heading-to-la

Original Fleetwood Mac guitarist Jeremy Spencer starts new tour in Long Beach before heading to L.A.

He’s a great-grandfather now with a quiet life in a small town bordering the Irish countryside near Dublin. He enjoys cooking, painting and, every once in a while, catching up with longtime friends like former bandmate Mick Fleetwood.

Yes, that Mick Fleetwood, from the celebrated rock band Fleetwood Mac. And the great-grandfather with the quiet life in the Emerald Isle is Jeremy Spencer, a founding member of the group who left one of music’s most successful bands right before it climbed to the top of the rock ’n’ roll wall of fame.

More than 40 years after walking away from the band, the slide guitarist is ready to tour the States again — not with his original bandmates, however, since Spencer said that’s an unlikely reunion — but on his own in support of two recent solo albums. The first stop of a 30-show tour is in Long Beach at Fingerprints record store Wednesday.

The tour then moves to Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles on Thursday, followed by a stop in San Diego at Lestat’s Coffee House on Friday before returning to L.A. on Saturday with a show at the Westwood Music Center.

“How do I feel about touring again? Scared. It just sort of feels daunting,” said the 65-year-old during a phone interview from his home in Ashbourne, Ireland, where he’s lived with his wife for nearly two years.

“I’m very happy to be staying here working in my little home studio creating instead of facing the big bad world, but I feel I need to do this and it’s good for me and a lot of people want me to. And my wife tells me it’s good for me,” he said.

The bluesman will perform songs from his guitar-driven blues and roots-oriented 2012 release “Bend in the Road,” and the upcoming “Coventry Blue,” which is due for release March 1, as well as a few songs from his days with Fleetwood Mac, when the band was a traditional blues-oriented group led by guitarist Peter Green with Fleetwood on drums and bassist John McVie.

“The new material has not been exposed that much, that’s probably one of the reasons why I have a little trepidation about it. But we just want to give a good show and you’re not going to get Fleetwood Mac, although I may do some of what I did when I was involved with it,” he said.

Spencer’s show is yet another big get for Fingerprints, which has hosted small concerts by big bands such as Foo Fighters and rock legends such as the late Lou Reed.

“As I kid, I grew up listening to Fleetwood Mac, so this is a pretty amazing thing,” said Rand Foster, owner of Fingerprints. “We’re catching the front end of the tour so a lot of people don’t know what to expect. We may end up with a small intimate crowd, but a good crowd, so this may set the excitement for this tour.”

The price of admission for the show is the purchase of “Coventry Blue.”

Spencer, who is known for emulating the raw style of the influential slide guitarist Elmore James, joined Fleetwood Mac in 1967 and with his powerful voice and showmanship was a good balance for Green’s more subdued style. Spencer left the band abruptly in 1971 after recording five albums with the group.

Following Spencer and Green’s departure, the band took on a more pop sound and in 1977 released the “Rumours” album, which went on to sell 40 million copies. The current Fleetwood Mac lineup consists of Fleetwood, McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, who joined the band in 1975. In 1998, Spencer was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame along with other Mac members.

Since his departure from the band, Spencer has been relatively quiet and it wasn’t until 2005 that he recorded an album, “Precious Little.” While he has performed at shows and festivals in Europe and Latin America, he has only performed a couple of times in the U.S.

The new tour and albums came largely at the urging of American filmmaker and fan Sam Epstein.

“So many people are so affected by what this band did in those short four years with Spencer,” Epstein said. “And he’s become so prolific now. He’s doing a wide variety of stuff, stuff you may not expect.”

Epstein first connected with Spencer a few years ago when he was working on a documentary about the blues. When contacted for the documentary, Spencer sent Epstein some new songs he had been recording. Epstein loved the music and, after much prodding, convinced Spencer to release the 32 songs that would be split into “Bend in the Road” and “Coventry Blue.”

The old rocker turned to modern means with an online Kickstarter campaign to raise $10,000 for initial tour expenses. As of late last week, about $6,600 had been raised. Spencer is also offering some incentives for donors, including an autographed drawing he did of the original Fleetwood Mac members for those who pledge $200 or more and dinner with Spencer and the band for those who pledge $1,500 or more. Those who pay $2,000 will get a private show.

“It’s a major tour on a DIY budget,” Epstein said.

Spencer says he has grown as a guitarist since his days with Fleetwood Mac. While he was a bit of a wild man onstage back then, he’s more subdued now, but the blues still bleed freely from his guitar.

“I’m not going to kick some serious ass, I don’t feel like I want to kick ass,” Spencer said. “For me, the blues is warm. It’s like honey, and that’s what I want to bring, that flavor. And I feel the blues when I play it more than ever.”
Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

San Diego Reader, By Jay Allen Sanford, Feb. 5, 2014

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...s-sense-humor/

God’s sense of humor

“I know that, when with Fleetwood Mac, we played San Diego back in the late ’60s, but I don’t remember much about it, except it was in a large hall of some kind,” says Jeremy Spencer, whose blues-based guitar anchored the original Mac from 1967 until his mysterious departure in 1971. “I have briefly visited a few times within the past 20 years, though, usually in transit to somewhere else. It seems like quite a progressive city with an interest in the arts and culture.”

Having vanished in the middle of Mac’s 1971 tour to join a religious order called Children of God (aka the Family International), it’s been 43 years since Spencer toured the U.S. His February 14 date at Lestat’s is the third stop of a cross-country tour running through March. “It’s daunting,” he says. “I was not anticipating it to be so many, but I am committed to doing the shows that are securely booked.” He’s hoping a Kickstarter campaign will help. “It’s funding a portion of the tour, but it won’t cover all the costs associated with touring, plus pressing and releasing a new album in these times. They’ve changed. But it’s certainly a help.”

Spencer recorded two solo albums in the ’70s, as well as in 2006 and 2012. This tour is mainly intended to showcase his newest, Coventry Blue, notwithstanding all the advance press touting his Mac pedigree. So, can attendees expect many songs from his tenure with that group? “Some, even though the ones I recorded with them are maybe not as familiar to the public as the hits.”

Asked about Mac tunes he wouldn’t play, Spencer says, “Usually the ones that I had nothing to do with musically, because I would feel opportunistic by including them. Or if it has a message I no longer feel comfortable with, even if I recorded it years ago. An example would be ‘Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in Tonight.’”

Tracks like that predate his devotion to the religious order he joined in 1971 and is still associated with. “Strange as it may sound, I think most, if not all, of my material is informed and inspired by my beliefs. Even the funny send-ups and racy ones. ‘Devotional’ does not always have to mean grave or pious.

“I believe God has a sense of humor, and I’m proof of that!”
Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to admit that Jeremy Spencer is probably the one significant Fleetwood Mac band member in which I've had very little interest. However, having seen some recent interviews and performances, I think I should explore his solo work, starting with his most recent releases. I wasn't even aware that he had a solo career! Shame on me.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-08-2014 at 08:42 PM..