User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I think it is the star effect. Stevie is talented, but mostly she is or was a star. Christine was a great artist. It's like Alec Guiness, who was a GREAT actor, but Rock Hudson was a star.

Besides I don't know how much Christine wanted to be a star. I guess she was fine with the kind of popularity she got.
That's a really key difference between Stevie and all the other members of the band. Sure, Stevie had a more flamboyant stage persona, but she also chased being a "celebrity" in ways the others didn't. She actively chose to hang out with and be seen with other celebrities, to date other big stars, to do all these outside collaborations with other rock stars.... she was tremendous fodder for the gossip columns. The others got mentioned when out doing promo stuff and maybe for showing up at awards ceremonies and such, but when they were off duty they were pretty much gone from the tabloids. Even though Chris dating Dennis got some mentions in the tabloids we were not bombarded with pics of them out to dinner, out shopping, etc. The first I personally recall seeing any pics was in the People mag article about the band as they were gearing up promoting Tusk. Stevie absolutely CRAVED fame, and made it her goal; the others did not. She may be the only one (certainly of the 3 songwriter/singers) whose name is recognized by most people without adding "of Fleetwood Mac" after it. But that's not by accident. She deliberately made herself famous for more than just her music. So when she cries about not being able to go out, or no personal life etc etc etc.... well, be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
I bought the tape with my babysitting money...

..and you're right that the low ticket demand worked in our favor....when we got to great adventure i remember we walked into the little ampitheater area and I told my parents we had to sit in the bleachers, because I figured people had tickets to get close to the stage. turned out hardly anybody came and we were able to get the hell out of the bleachers and walk aallll the way up to the stage and i was practically in the front row too! i think i was maybe in the second row, it was hard to tell w everybody standing and i was short lol. but omg i never thought i'd be so close to her. we made eye contact several times, i was in heaven also....

i remember the concert goodies they sold , i bought a little pin that said 'Christine' w some music notes on it, and a white tank top that had her songs listed in small black writing all over it, i think w music notes on it, too. i don't think i was ever brave enough to wear it to school but i wore it during the summers at home until my boobs got too big to fit in it anymore...damn shirt shrunk. i think i still have it saved upstairs. and the pin, too.

and i took crappy pics w my disc camera that i still have as well!

--Lis
I had a disc camera too. But I used it for the Tango show. Like you we also were able to move down really close during Say You Love Me to close the gap with the unsold seats.
I have the Jackson show on CD. It was a very famous bootleg sold all the time on Ebay in the early 2000's. I love her banter about the name of the town. Her dedication to the park for the teens that died in the fire was touching.
I just remembered. All the ticket winners were entered into a drawing to meet Chris back stage. They were giving out 2 winners. I had a panic attack because since I wont twice I had a better chance than anyone to win one of those prizes. But I did not win I would've had to do my Willy Wonka "I've got a golden ticket" song and dance to the concert hall. We got to see her tour bus that was beautifully decorated and named "The Challenge" painted on the side.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-28-2024 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-28-2024, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

i remember the concert goodies they sold , i bought a little pin that said 'Christine' w some music notes on it, and a white tank top that had her songs listed in small black writing all over it, i think w music notes on it, too. i don't think i was ever brave enough to wear it to school but i wore it during the summers at home until my boobs got too big to fit in it anymore...damn shirt shrunk. i think i still have it saved upstairs. and the pin, too.

--Lis
I've got two Tusk shirts, two Mirage shirts, and a Wild Heart shirt, that are practically dust now. They haven't fit me for a long time. Apparently sitting in a box on a closet shelf for 45 years isn't good for them?
Old 01-28-2024, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I had a disc camera too. But I used it for the Tango show. Like you we also were able to move down really close during Say You Love Me to close the gap with the unsold seats.
I have the Jackson show on CD. It was a very famous bootleg sold all the time on Ebay in the early 2000's. I love her banter about the name of the town. Her dedication to the park for the teens that died in the fire was touching.
I just remembered. All the ticket winners were entered into a drawing to meet Chris back stage. They were giving out 2 winners. I had a panic attack because since I wont twice I had a better chance than anyone to win one of those prizes. But I did not win I would've had to do my Willy Wonka "I've got a golden ticket" song and dance to the concert hall. We got to see her tour bus that was beautifully decorated and named "The Challenge" painted on the side.
So exciting! After scoring front row seats to the June '84 show, we waited in back of the theater for Christine and her band to exit. After about 30 minutes, the bass player George Hawkins emerged, followed by Christine - and I think Eddy Quintela was accompanying her.

They were whisked away, but I did get to briefly say hello to Chris. She wasn't sure what to make of a screaming 13- and 14-year-old. She looked both amused and confused.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
So exciting! After scoring front row seats to the June '84 show, we waited in back of the theater for Christine and her band to exit. After about 30 minutes, the bass player George Hawkins emerged, followed by Christine - and I think Eddy Quintela was accompanying her.

They were whisked away, but I did get to briefly say hello to Chris. She wasn't sure what to make of a screaming 13- and 14-year-old. She looked both amused and confused.
well i was another screaming 14 year old so she saw at least a couple of us on that tour lol.

ugh shame she was accompanied by Eddy lol. I remember he wore this awful red leather outfit for those shows, it was so cheesy. although the eighties weren't kind in terms of fashion...even chris wasn't looking her best in that bulky unflattering sweater...

You know, looking back now when we met george i don't think i ever asked him anything about that tour. i should have. I wonder what his take on it would have been. he was a font of information and full of great stories and memories.

--Lis
Old 01-29-2024, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
well i was another screaming 14 year old so she saw at least a couple of us on that tour lol.

ugh shame she was accompanied by Eddy lol. I remember he wore this awful red leather outfit for those shows, it was so cheesy. although the eighties weren't kind in terms of fashion...even chris wasn't looking her best in that bulky unflattering sweater...

You know, looking back now when we met george i don't think i ever asked him anything about that tour. i should have. I wonder what his take on it would have been. he was a font of information and full of great stories and memories.

--Lis
We were all the same age in different cities and we all screamed and did the same things. Towards the end of the concert Chris really stepped on the gas. She was rocking out with You Make Loving Fun,Too Much Is Not Enough, and Dont Stop. Most everyone in the theater ran towards the pit and there was a good crowd on their feet for the rest of the show. You just saw the reactions from Chris and her band. They fed off that energy. It was surreal for me to be so close to a stage. We waved at Eddy who was on stage playing keyboards and he winked at us. During Songbird someone threw their Christine McVie tour shirt on her piano. She thanked them and said "its just my size." There was a guy with a giant white box of roses with a giant red bow. Sadly she did not see him. The guy was devastated and the crowd felt his despair. He was at the far corner of the stage. A roadie came out and grabbed the box so I assume she did get them.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Wow, we definitely were all in a parallel universe then.
I had to be creative and find a way to get to the concert. So I actually won tickets on some radio station. I cracked their code of when they would play a Fleetwood Mac song to win. I had to be the 7th caller and I was the first and 7th caller and won. I prayed and danced to the Rhiannon gods and guess what? Rhiannon was the song I won the tickets to. But wait. I did it again and won again. I was afraid they would say that I could not win twice so I gave my friend's name and address for them to send the tickets to.
Wow!! I don't think you've told this story before.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I first heard Got a Hold on Me in snippets, as advertising for the upcoming release of the video. I first heard the full song live on her live concert special. I liked it, thought it was catchy and cute. I was shocked, however, when I got the album and heard the studio version. It was so slick in comparison the earthy live performance.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I first heard Got a Hold on Me in snippets, as advertising for the upcoming release of the video. I first heard the full song live on her live concert special. I liked it, thought it was catchy and cute. I was shocked, however, when I got the album and heard the studio version. It was so slick in comparison the earthy live performance.
I hate it that in the 1984 concert video, that they showed the videos for GAHOM and LWSUH, instead of live performances.

Warts are always more interesting...
Old 01-31-2024, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I hate it that in the 1984 concert video, that they showed the videos for GAHOM and LWSUH, instead of live performances.

Warts are always more interesting...
Did they do that? I taped the entire show and had a live video performance of GAHOM. I remember playing it back later and one of my brothers saying “Hold Me sounds a little different”—!!
Old 01-31-2024, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Did they do that? I taped the entire show and had a live video performance of GAHOM. I remember playing it back later and one of my brothers saying “Hold Me sounds a little different”—!!
I bought the vhs official release of it, probably 15 years ago. But someone else sent me a DVD burn of it. Video version on both. I'd love to see the live version. Link?
Old 01-31-2024, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I bought the vhs official release of it, probably 15 years ago. But someone else sent me a DVD burn of it. Video version on both. I'd love to see the live version. Link?
I wish I had a link! The video tape I had of it from 1984 is looooooong gone. I’m surprised it’s not around anymore. I’ll try to find it “out there.”
Old 01-31-2024, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is not a concert video but an interesting documentary of that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgr8Cq10_qw
Old 01-31-2024, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have to dig out my VHS tape but my memory is also the 2 singles were not shown in the Country Club concert. However the Country Club concert that showed up on youtube many years later features Love Will Show Us How live in concert. Maybe its there but my memory is it was not there. Got A Hold On Me was most likey performed but they show the video instead.
Here is the Country Club concert and it opens with Love Will Show Us How. Did anyone attend this show or know anyone that did? Unlike you spoiled kids, we did not have MTV or a VCR in 1984. I remember going to video stores and holding the laser disc or VHS tape in my hands and dream of watching it. When I got my first computer in 1999, this VHS tape was my first purchase off Ebay. I had to wait 16 bloody years to see it. For the 40th anniversary I would love for her Entertainment Tonight segment make it to youtube. When her tour started in 1984 E.T. made it the lead feature on their program. They showed parts of her in concert and interviews. Chris had flowers on her mic like the Mirage show. She was also performing live with that side pony tail that she had for promo photos. Clearly they were spicing things up for her big E.T. segment. Everything else shows up on youtube except this.

Her band is so good that you would almost think she is lip syncing the song because it sounds exactly like the record. But its truly a live version because it has an extended ending and does not fade out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQ_TrZPwis

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-31-2024 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-31-2024, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had a recording of the band playing the song live. I remember because it was warmer and less slick than the original.