Addicted Ledgie

Default The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society

The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society
May 2, 2010
By Type: Music/Arts – Concert
Date: Monday, May 17, 2010
Time: 8:00pm – 11:00pm
Street: 1201 N. Frankford Ave

In appreciation and celebration of musician Lindsey Buckingham’s mad genius and one of modern music’s most “punk rock-soft rock” albums, Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk, The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society will perform its interpretation of the classic 1979 double album in its entirety during three upcoming shows: Saturday, May 15 at Lizard Lounge in Cambridge, Massachusetts; Sunday, May 16 at Union Hall in Brooklyn, New York; and Monday, May 17 at Johnny Brenda’s in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

After five years of “Yeah, we should really do this… no, seriously!’”e-mails, phone calls, and drinking sessions, fellow Lindsey Buckingham/Fleetwood Mac obsessives Charlie Hall (vocalist and multi-instrumentalist who has played drums with Jens Lekman, The War on Drugs, Windsor for the Derby, Tommy Guerrero and others) and Patrick Berkery (drummer for Danielson, Pernice Brothers, Bigger Lovers, Mazarin and others) finally put their musical pipe dream into action in 2009, and found four kindred music spirits to form The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society.

The six-person collective is based out of several points along the I-95 corridor between New England and Philadelphia, and also includes Tony Goddess (formerly of Papas Fritas, currently with Jenny Dee & The Deelinquents), Birdie Busch (a Philadelphia-based singer and songwriter), Samantha Goddess (a vocalist and multi-instrumentalist, also of Jenny Dee & The Deelinquents) and Dave Hartley (bassist and vocalist with The Buried Beds, The War on Drugs and BC Camplight).

The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society is not a tribute act and will not perform in costume. The band features no defined character roles and is more a loving exploration of the album than a verbatim reproduction. For more about The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society, visit www.tlbas.com.

http://rombox.com/entertainment/
Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello and welcome to the Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society Web site. For all booking/press info, e-mail us here.

LIVE SHOWS:

Saturday, May 15, 2010 - Lizard Lounge, Cambridge, Mass. BUY TICKETS

Sunday, May 16, 2010 - Union Hall, Brooklyn, NY. BUY TICKETS

Monday, May 17, 2010 - Johnny Brenda's, Philadelphia, Pa. BUY TICKETS

SO, JUST WHO ARE WE? We are a collective of musicians based out of different points along the I-95 corridor between New England and Philadelphia.

We count among our ranks singer-guitarist Tony Goddess, late of Papas Fritas, currently with Jenny Dee & The Deelinquents. Birdie Busch, a Philadelphia-based singer and songwriter with several wonderful solo albums to her credit. Samantha Goddess, a fine vocalist and multi-instrumentalist. Charlie Hall, yet another fine vocalist and multi-instrumentalist who has played drums with Jens Lekman, The War on Drugs, Windsor for the Derby, Tommy Guerrero, and others. We feature Dave Hartley on bass and backing vocals, currently of The War on Drugs and BC Camplight. And Patrick Berkery on drums, who has played with Danielson, Pernice Brothers, Bigger Lovers, Photon Band, Mazarin, and others over the years.

We will be performing the most punk rock soft rock album ever (and Lindsey Buckingham's enduring creative statement), Fleetwood Mac's Tusk in its entirety over three shows in May 2010.

This site is more than just a vehicle to promote our little dog & pony show. It's a hub for anyone who is interested to learn, share, and enjoy more about one of the more underrated pop-rock masters still walking among us, Lindsey Buckingham.

Update on Brooklyn gig
Due to production changes, doors are now 9:00 for our May 16 show at Union Hall, not 8:00. Sorry for any inconvenience. Fleetwood Mike will take the stage promptly at 9:15, TLBAS at 10:00. Buy tix here. We hear they’re going quickly…

What’s your favorite song on TUSK?
Hey, we’re taking another little informal poll over at the TLBAS Facebook page: What’s your favorite song on Tusk? Do tell…

There is a 100 percent chance we will be doing your selection when we cover the Tusk album in its entirety at these three shows next month (tickets for all shows on sale now):

Saturday, May 15, 2010 - Lizard Lounge, Cambridge, Mass. (part of The Cover Up: Fleetwood Mac) BUY TICKETS
Sunday, May 16, 2010 - Union Hall, Brooklyn, NY. BUY TICKETS
Monday, May 17, 2010 - Johnny Brenda’s, Philadelphia, Pa. BUY TICKETS

http://tlbas.tumblr.com/
Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society is not a tribute act and will not perform in costume. The band features no defined character roles and is more a loving exploration of the album than a verbatim reproduction.
Sounds very cool indeed, wish I could attend!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Lindsey BucKINGham Appreciation Society!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
Sounds very cool indeed, wish I could attend!
Wish I could also as we all used to call ourselves ...
"The Lindsey BucKINGham Appreciation Society!"

How we adore that man...a musical genius for sure!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does any Ledgie in the Massachusetts, Connecticut area want to attend this show with me? They are performing the entire Tusk album at this show!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WXPN Philly Local Concert Announcement!

Are you a Fleetwood Mac fan? So are the members of The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society. In fact, they are such fans that they are going to be performing the Tusk album in its entirety at Johnny Brenda’s.

Who is TLBAS? Well, stringing between Philadelphia and New England on that long road we all know as I-95 are various members of the collective. You may recgonize Philly Local favorites such as Birdie Busch, Charlie Hall (The War on Drugs), and Dave Hartley (The War on Drugs, BC Camplight).

Sound fun? We thought so! Make sure you check out the show, details below.

Monday, May 17th

Johnny Brenda’s, $8

Doors: 7pm, Show: 8pm

The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society will also be joining Helen Leicht on the Philly Local Hour next Tuesday, May 11th, at 9pm on 88.5 WXPN or online at www.xpn.org

http://xpn.org/allaboutthemusic/wxpn...ouncement-6866
Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

“We’ve been threatening to pull this together for years,’’ Tony Goddess says with mischievous glee. The singer-guitarist is talking about both the formation of the Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society and the group’s live tribute to the Fleetwood Mac mastermind’s experimental opus, “Tusk.’’ Arriving on the heels of Fleetwood Mac’s 1977 blockbuster, “Rumours, the double album “Tusk’’ was regarded as everything from a cocaine-addled exercise in self-indulgent superstardom to a brazenly brilliant artistic statement. It was an album loved and hated. It is Goddess’s hands-down favorite.

“Oh yeah, that’s a massive record for me,’’ he says. “That was a huge influence for [his now-defunct ’90s Boston band] Papas Fritas. When you listen, you think, This record is crazy. Half of the record was home recorded with Lindsey singing, kneeling down on the floor in his bathroom with a mike, because he likes the way that sounds.’’

“ ‘Tusk’ was the most out-there record made by a major act on a major label,’’ says Goddess, who plays guitar with Jenny Dee and the Deelinquents. “There isn’t a normal sound on it. But I think people just saw it as a flop.’’

Next Saturday’s Lizard Lounge show is the first of only three scheduled performances in the Northeast for the six-piece Appreciation Society, which has a website (www.tlbas.com) where fans can obsess over all things Lindsey. “I always thought [‘Rumours’ and ‘Tusk’] were a yin and yang,’’ Goddess muses. “ ‘Rumours’ is perfection, and ‘Tusk’ is process.’’

May 15 at 8:30 p.m. at the Lizard Lounge, Cambridge, with St. Helena, This Blue Heaven, Old Jack. 21+. $12.

© Copyright 2010 Globe Newspaper Company.
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/artic...e_acts/?page=2
Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still have to get my ticket but plan on attending the Brooklyn show. Anyone else?

ETA: Just got my ticket.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 05-07-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The weekend's must-see shows | The Volume | Time Out New York
By The Volume
Brooklyn indie-rockers unite to play Tusk, Fleetwood Mac's biggest, weirdest album, from start to finish. Swamp Dogg with the Revelations at City Winery Virginia R&B maverick Swamp Dogg gets down with a crew of Brooklyn soul revivalists ...
The Volume - http://www3.timeoutny.com/newyork/thevolume/
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the 2010 Park Slope 5th Ave Street & Record Fair is Sunday
By brooklynvegan
While on Fifth Ave, you can also stop by Union Hall (season finale of tearing the veil of maya at 7 / indie rock all stars cover tusk by fleetwood mac at 9), and walk a block down to 4th Ave to check out new venue Rock Shop. ...
brooklynvegan - http://www.brooklynvegan.com/
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Philadelphia Weekly, May 11, 2010, by Brian McManus
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/mu...ion-Night.html

Fleetwood Mac Appreciation Night
The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society will perform the band's 75-minute double album Tusk in its entirety.

After years and years of drunken talks and back-and-forth emails, Patrick Berkery (drummer for Danielson, Pernice Brothers, Bigger Lovers, Mazarin, etc.) and a few of his musical soul mates (Charlie Hall, Tony Goddess, Samantha Goddess, Birdie Busch and Dave Hartley) finally decided to live the dream they’d had for a while: celebrating the mad genius of Lindsey Buckingham by performing Fleetwood Mac’s wildly artistic left turn Tusk in its entirety. That dream becomes a reality Monday when the Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society takes the stage at Johnny Brenda’s. We talked to Berkery about Tusk, its influence, and the absence of irony in LBAS.

How did you discover you and your friends shared this obsession with Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac and Tusk?

“Mostly just by talking about influences and favorite albums, the regular type of conversations musicians have with one another. But, with Tony (Goddess), I read an old interview he did when he was playing in Papas Fritas. I loved their record Buildings and Grounds, it had a very Fleetwood Mac vibe, the sound and the production, and so I read an interview with Tony somewhere where he said his idea for the band is to sound like Fleetwood Mac on record and like the Replacements live. I was like ‘Oh man, that’s a guy I’d like to work with.’ So I kept that in the back of my mind and thought maybe one day I’ll seek this guy out and see if he wants to make a record or something. Four years later the band I was in at the time, Bigger Lovers, did some shows with Tony while he was doing a solo thing, and we basically bonded over Fleetwood Mac and Lindsey, and Tusk in particular. With Charlie Hall (vocalist/instrumentalist), one of the first times we hung out we were sitting in his living room drinking and hanging out listening to Tusk and we thought, ‘Oh man we’ve got to put something together one day where we play this or record it.’ But what happens with adults is adulthood gets in the way. That conversation happened in 2005, and last spring Charlie emailed me out of the blue and said ‘Let’s do this finally.’ There are a ton of musicians who you find out are really into Mac and Lindsey and Tusk, more than the success of the record initially would indicate. It’s had legs. I think that speaks to what the album represents.”

And what does Tusk represent?

“It represents a pretty radical left turn stylistically from Rumours. There’s not a lot [on Tusk] that became hit singles. Pretty much every song on Rumours gets played on the radio still. What the record represents to me is I’m sort of, as much as I can be in life, creatively, I like to zig when people expect me to zag, and Tusk is a really good example of a guy really leading the charge of his band in the direction he thinks they should go in, and some great music came out of it that’s really stood the test of time. When you think about all the great bands back then, not a lot of them took that kind of risk. There are some similarities between Tusk and the [Beatle’s] white album and [Radiohead’s] OK Computer and [Wilco’s] Yankee Hotel Foxtrot —radical left turns from guy really sticking to his guns to the commercial detriment of his band in the short term, but in the long term I think it’s really shown them to be artists , whereas before they were just a successful pop band.”

Lindsey had to sell the idea of Tusk to the band too, right? Mick, especially, gave him some opposition.

“He got opposition from the whole group. I’ve had the opportunity to interview Lindsey and Mick. I talked to Mick for a story I wrote for Modern Drummer, and we talked about Tusk. He remembers it all pretty vividly. He says he and Lindsey were at Lindsey’s house on the lawn smoking a joint and Lindsey is telling Mick what he wanted to do, and Mick was half-agreeing with him and half-yessing him, like, ‘Yeah, that sounds great, but you can’t play drums on a tissue box on every song.’ Lindsey, I think by his own admission, is a bit of a spoiled brat musically. Maybe he wanted to run the show since he was still the new guy in the band, and I think it took some convincing and wheel greasing, for sure. They were all kind of opposed to it, but I think they’ve all gone on record as saying it’s their favorite of all the records they’ve made together.”

What would you say to would-be cynics who think you guys are doing this with a touch of irony or tongue-in-cheek?

“No irony. I’d tell them to open their minds. There is nothing ironic about Fleetwood Mac or our love for Fleetwood Mac. If that kind of stuff isn’t your bag, and you sort of look at it that way, then I would say that’s on you or whoever would think that. I, without hesitation, would put Fleetwood Mac up there with the Beatles and the Stones or Neil Young and all these people I worship. Not all of their records, but their golden period of the ’70s and ’80s I would put up there with Beggar’s Banquet and Exile and Rubber Soul through the white album, and those are some strong albums.”

Tusk is a 20-song double album. How long is it taking you to play through all of it?

“That’s the thing you realize, you set out to do this thing then you’re like, ‘Oh ****, it’s 75 minutes.’ And, to present it as a concert—it’s not necessarily at all how you would pace a live show. It kind of starts out mellow, and then it gets rockin’ then it gets mellow again. And then it ends mellow so that’s, honestly, I don’t know how it’s going to translate. It feels good playing it in my basement though. It feels really good to play. We’re cognizant of the fact that it may be a bit of a stretch for people to hang with it live and we don’t necessarily know how familiar with Tusk people coming to the show are. Some people might just know “Sara’” and “Tusk” and some people might come to the show expecting to hear “Go Your Own Way” and “The Chain.” It’s going to be a challenge. But we’re really happy with it and it’s a lot of fun to do.”

Mon, May 17, 8pm

$8
Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That sounds seriously cool, but alas, I can't quite see it (dunno where it's playing). Is it gonna be on YouTube?

You can add me on Facebook
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Michele, thank you for posting that interview, as I thoroughly enjoyed it. No way am I going to miss the oppurtunity to hear my favorite album of all time performed in its entirety. Just two more nights and I'll be in Cambridge with another Ledgie. We are very excited!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

We knew MAGNET contributor Patrick Berkery was a huge fan of Lindsey Buckingham, which is why we asked him to interview the Fleetwood Mac guitarist/vocalist back in 2008 for this Q&A. We didn’t, however, quite realize the depths of Berkery’s fixation with Buckingham. And, more specifically, with Tusk, the 1979 Mac double album that Buckingham decided to take in the complete opposite musical direction as 1977’s massively successful and polished Rumours. It turns out Berkery (who’s played with Danielson, Pernice Brothers, Bigger Lovers, Mazarin, Photon Band and others) decided to start a band called the Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society with the sole purpose of covering Tusk live in its entirety. But that’s not the weird part. The weird part is that Berkery actually found five other musicians to join him in this endeavor: Charlie Hall (Jens Lekman, War On Drugs, Windsor For The Derby, Tommy Guerrero), Tony Goddess (Papas Fritas, Jenny Dee & The Deelinquents), Samantha Goddess (Jenny Dee & The Deelinquents), Dave Hartley (Buried Beds, War On Drugs, BC Camplight) and Birdie Busch. The not-so-super-group group is playing Cambridge, Mass., on Saturday; Brooklyn on Sunday; and Philadelphia on Monday. We asked Berkery to tell us how this whole thing came together.

There are albums I consider to be among the finest ever recorded—Revolver, Exile On Main Street, The Chronic, Kind Of Blue, the Pretenders’ debut, Physical Graffiti—that I hardly ever listen to these days. Don’t really need to. They’re all embedded in my mental hard drive, spinning in heavy rotation in my subconscious.

My relationship with Tusk is different. I’m not certain it is one of the finest albums ever made. Depending on my mood, it might not even be my favorite Fleetwood Mac album. (Rumours is pretty freaking flawless.) But if I don’t hear it once a week, I’m just not right. I love it that much. I haven’t sought a professional’s opinion on the matter, but I’d guess that love stems from a childhood fascination with the title track, which I first heard blasting from the upstairs jukebox at Jim’s Steaks on South Street in Philadelphia in the summer of 1980. All that silly grunting and shouting and the marching band and the wild drumming (not to mention the video, shot at Dodger Stadium) can really make an impression on an eight-year-old.

Years later, that fascination morphed into an obsession with a double album some see as Lindsey Buckingham’s exercise in intentional subversion, but I’ve grown to view Tusk differently. Yes, it’s a fairly radical left turn from Rumours. But get beyond Lindsey’s crude recording techniques and a lack of anything that sounds like “Dreams” or “Go Your Own Way” and you’ll find a cohesive and enduring creative statement that’s not so “weird” or “difficult” at all.

At various points, I’ve obsessed over the sequencing (the lush “Over And Over” into the harsh two-step of “The Ledge?” to open the follow-up to one of the biggest albums of all time? Brilliant!), the drum pattern (or lack thereof) on “What Makes You Think You’re The One,” how the record owed so much to Lindsey’s musical heroes like the Beach Boys, the Everly Brothers and Elvis in an era of new wave, disco and bloated stadium rock, how “I Know I’m Not Wrong” and “Sisters Of The Moon” didn’t become massive hits, and how even though Tusk is widely viewed as Lindsey’s baby, Christine McVie’s songs are really the ones that make time stand still. (You have no idea how close this little collective came to being called the Christine McVie Appreciation Society.)

My obsession has manifested itself in other ways. Like making mental notes whenever I saw another musician professing their love for Mac, particularly Lindsey and Tusk. That’s how I got to know Tony Goddess. I’d read an interview where Tony said his goal for Papas Fritas was to sound like “the Replacements live and Fleetwood Mac in the studio.” (And if you’ve heard any of PF’s records, especially Buildings And Grounds, you know Tony was walking it like he talked it.) I figured this is the kind of guy I’d like to make a Bigger Lovers record with some day. And we tried, in fact, but the band broke up before we really got started. It had nothing to do with Tony.

Friends even began “fixing me up” with other dudes who shared my love of Lindsey and Tusk. That’s how I met Charlie Hall. And shortly after we were introduced, we found ourselves doing what musical obsessives do: sitting in a living room, drinking, dissecting our obsession and hatching a crazy scheme. Like the possibility of maybe … someday … seriously??!! … putting together a fun little band to cover the Tusk album live, top-to-bottom. Did I mention we had been drinking?

As happens with musicians in their 30s, life got in the way and the idea was back-back-back-back burnered. Until Charlie e-mailed me one day in the spring of last year and suggested we finally get moving on this crazy idea. So we got moving, deciding that I’d play drums, Charlie would play guitar and keys and sing a little lead, and that Tony Goddess had to be involved.

Tony was the first and last guy I was considering to be our Lindsey. If he couldn’t or wouldn’t do it, I wasn’t doing it. After some careful consideration and some schedule shuffling, Tony agreed on one condition: He wanted his wife, Samantha, to join us. How Lindsey is that? Good call on Tony’s part, because Sam’s voice and musicianship have added a ton to these songs.

We invited Birdie Busch and Dave Hartley into the mix and just before Christmas last year set about demystifying some of these songs to see if they could be pulled off live. As we spent the better part of an afternoon strumming through “Save Me A Place” and taking awkward initial stabs at “Tusk” and “Sara,” three things revealed themselves:
1) For a record that cost nearly $1 million to make (in 1979 dollars!), most of these songs were very loosely performed and arranged.
2) For all the copious amounts of cocaine the band was supposedly ingesting in those days, a lot of these songs are really slow.
3) These songs are an incredible amount of fun to play, especially when you take liberties with them, which we’re doing. Plenty.

And now here we are, a silly idea about to come to fruition. I can safely say this is something none of us expected we’d be doing this time last year.

One last thing: Anyone know of a marching band that will play for drink tickets?

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2010/0...ation-society/
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk is the aficionado's favorite Fleetwood Mac album. A brilliant, eccentric 1979 follow-up to the mega-selling Rumours, it was a double album of Christine McVie sweetness ("Over & Over"), Stevie Nicks witchiness ("Storms"), and, especially, Lindsey Buckingham madcap weirdness ("Not That Funny"). The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society features six mostly local musicians, including multi-instrumentalist Charlie Hall (the War on Drugs), singer-songwriter Birdie Busch, drummer Pat Berkery (the Bigger Lovers), and guitarist Tony Goddess (Papas Fritas). On Monday night, they will perform Tusk, start to finish. It's an ambitious pet project. Instead of a faithful re-creation, expect an enthusiastic exploration. Don't expect a marching band to show up for the title song - but neither should you rule out some imaginative work-around. It's an early show at Johnny Brenda's, with the sharp, plainspoken singer-songwriter Jennifer O'Connor opening.
- Steve Klinge

The Lindsey Buckingham Appreciation Society, with Jennifer O'Connor, at 8 p.m. Monday at Johnny Brenda's, 1201 N. Frankford Ave. Tickets: $8. Information: 215-739-9684; www.johnnybrendas.com.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/weeke...#axzz0nuo8HMkv