Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Madison Wisconsin 2004

I just thought I'd post this review I did from then here, since Betsy and Nico had asked about it.

Michele 5/8/04
As I waited for the show to begin, I looked at the crew. After reading the Tour Journals, I really feel as if I know them and could identify Cory adjusting the microphone ribbons or putting Song titles on the teleprompter and Karen sitting to the side.

I think the preparation background the tour journals give fans helps make the anxious pre-concert period more interesting. Obviously, the new songs were the highlights of the evening, Sara most especially.

SARA: It's not that Sara is such a great song (though it is!), it's the sentimental treatment FM gave it. Short of (1)Christine walking on the stage, or (2) Stevie and Lindsey singing Angel, the band could not possibly have moved me any more than they did tonight. Stevie walked on in this long red shawl. She had dangling earrings and a gold adornment in her hair. She looked like a Spanish dancer.

The screen in back of her showed old concert footage of her performing Sara, with her hair up. Towards the end of the song she walked over to Lindsey's mic. You know the SYW interlude where they used to be nose to nose? They do it during this song now. She sings. He plays, some times only with one hand as he leans into her. Then they sing together, trading words in layers, while the screen in back of them flashes images of their younger selves. It was phenomenal. Stevie changes some words and says, "It DOES matter, it's NEVER gone." I felt the song played homage to FM's rich history and Buckingham-Nicks too, definitely 2 of my favorite things in life. What a triumph. I hope she knows how grateful so many fans are to have her perform it. When she emerged in that red shawl (and cleavage for days), I heard the music and went crazy. Just insane, but it was looking at the old concert footage in back of her and then seeing her and Lindsey in front of me that actually got the tears flowing. They have never used that backscreen more appropriately (it's shape has changed a bit from what it was before. It's not a big round globe). During most of the songs it has images from what looks like a biology class microscope playing on it. So, when I saw Stevie up there, it just added to the amazement I was already experiencing. Worked much better than the Gypsy video footage they used. Stevie walking over to Lindsey's mic and him joining her vocals in the song sent me into another realm, into the kill-me-now-because-I'll-never-be-this-happy-again zone. As for Gypsy, when I realized it had been replaced, I thought it might crop up at the end of the set as the encore. I still think that's a very good idea.

SAY GOODBYE: Lovely -- not the song -- the instrumental failure. Great fun. Lindsey did his little speech for Say Goodbye, but then something happened with his guitar. He goes to the side to fix it, saying that this is a lesson in "earn while you learn."

Stevie pretends that she's going to do a little tap dance. When he comes back he begs Ray just to tell him he's ok. Ray walks over and says that he's ok to play again and Lindsey pats him. Lindsey says that Ray is his long time friend and assistant whose last name is Lindsay. "Isn't that weird?" Stevie says "It is weird." Reminiscent of the conversation he had with Christine on the The Dance video. Lindsey is easily weirded out. He must not get out much. He thinks the most common things are singular. Anyway, he says that in all fairness it is not Ray's fault because this is the first night of their tour and there are bound to be problems. He tells Ray there will be a $50 fine. He prepares to start Say Goodbye again and turns to Stevie again, but says that the tender moment is gone. He says the audience should have pity, while they try to recapture the mood. She laughs and says they should try to be serious again and regain their composure. He starts playing and the guitar goes out again. Many giggles from Stevie. Lindsey lays on the floor. She says that Lindsey is just going to take a little nap. He starts doing sit ups and then he turns on his stomach and does push ups. Stevie says, "I had no idea you could do that." Gee, that doesnt' say much about their sex life, if she had no idea. Shedding new light on why things started falling apart 30 years ago . . . She tells him, "I am so proud of you." After the push ups, Lindsey is on his knees, pretending to be too fatigued to stand up by himself. Stevie hugs him, caresses his face, kisses his hand and "helps" him off the floor. She says that this is not the first time she and Lindsey have been on stage when nothing worked. She said they started this back in 1968 and some nights ALL the equipment failed "and look where we are today".

It is heady to imagine that 36 years ago Lindsey, Stevie, and the rest of Fritz were on some small stage somewhere performing. I think I’d love Stevie and Lindsey for their history alone. The temperamental guitar finally allows them to perform Say Goodbye. It seems to me that Lindsey has tried to extend the "scheme within a scheme" part, by saying the words more slowly, with great inflection. Honestly, the last thing that song needed was stretching. But the intro to it was so adorable this time that I forgive him.

RED ROVER: Mick and Taku come out onto the stage to great applause. Lindsey gives the speech about the gods looking down on earth and wondering what it has become. He says that it sounds like a cynical song, but it's really very tender. He starts playing and the guitar goes out again. Stevie laughs and says, "OK Mick. It's your turn now." Mick comes out and says that he's glad he has this chance to tell us a little story. He says, "it gets me away from having to sit on that box." He and Taku were sitting on boxes playing -- well, I don't know one type of drum from the other. They were not playing bongos. They were playing flat things and Taku was shaking a silver thing too. Starting his story, Mick says once there was this car riding down the street. It stopped and out came 3 broken guitars. He says that Lindsey Buckingham deserves a medal.

After consulting with Lindsey first, Stevie says that she wants to give the audience a little history. This isn't really their first show. They did 106 shows in the U. S., Europe, etc. and then they took a 2 month break. They rehearsed for 3 weeks, but the last 3 weeks they haven't rehearsed because Lindsey Buckingham had a baby girl named Stella. She says they had to take 3 weeks off "so we, they, could have baby Stella." So, they didn't finish their rehearsals and that's why there have been a few technical glitches. She says, in light thereof, they must dedicate this show to Baby Stella. Much applause.

The backscreen glowed red, a strobing red, as Lindsey sang. Can't say much for Red Rover, but if Lindsey is happy then I'm happy. Plus, I'm glad to be rid of WTWCT. Stevie has very little to do during this song and I'm surprise that she remains on stage. She doesn't even have a tambo. She just pats her hands together back and forth.

The Chain: As they took the stage, I noticed that John looked like he has lost weight. He still has a tummy, but the rest of him seems really trim and his hair is BROWN. The facial hair is still gray, but the braid is a luxurious cocoa. Is he the new Grecian Forrmula spokesman or something? He really did seem a lot more playful tonight than last leg. His face was thin, but in a good way, not a gaunt one. OK, Stevie's bangs did not look plastered and stiff as they did in those photos. They swung with the rest of her hair and really framed her face quite nicely. Her face looked a little pucker on the side closest to me (right), but not fuller. She started the show in reeboks, but switched to her boots some time during the night. She was all smiles, vibrant. Her speaking voice was hoarse sometimes, but her singing voice was strong. Her song interpretations so forceful during Rhiannon, Sara, GDW and Stand Back. She's truly an eternal flame. The new button down top Stevie is sporting is a little less matronly than the last sweater we had. This top tapers to form a V at the waist and doesn't cover the entire mid-section.

DREAMS: Same as ever.

I KNOW I’M NOT WRONG: Now, when this song started, I was beyond excited. I just didn't know what the heck it was. I thought it was NTF for a second. The words had to start for me to catch on. But just the fact that it was the first of the set changes was thrilling. I was jumping up and down and clapping the minute I realized it was EOTW. Lindsey was dynamic. You know some of his Tusk song performances straddle (or should I say WALK the line) the line between kooky and meaningful, but he and Stevie (she shared lead vocals) did this straight, giving the "don't blame me, please, please, please" the feeling it's meant to have. Even those not familiar with the tune can dance to it. The upbeat beat prevents a lull forming among the crowd. A triumphant addition.

Peacekeepeer: Same opening speech.

Second Hand News: Lovely as always. Glad it wasn't deleted for the second leg. I think the lyrics hear where he sings, "One thing I think you should know, I ain’t gonna miss you when you go," make an amazing contrast to the words in "Don’t Let Me Down Again" when he says that "One thing I’d like you to know, I have no more to lose when you go." The evolution in feeling gives both songs extra meaning and I think it fitting to have them in the same set.

Destiny Rules: Stevie introduced this as another song from their "most recent" album and I was expecting SYW, but then she announced the title. I was happy at first, but didn't like the song. It's great on the album, but I don't think it's a good concert piece. Except for the chorus, I think it's hard to appreciate it live. The words are more contemplative than rousing. I know people who heard it during the last leg were devastated to have it cut that time around. But hearing it tonight, I'd like to see it dropped again. Bring back SYW. What DR is on the album to me is different from what it became on stage. However, there was a nice guitar riff at the end and while Lindsey played Stevie sang, "hey hey hey, yeah!" If this kind of energy could be infused throughout the rest of the tune rather than just appearing at the end, maybe the song could be salvaged. I think this is one of the songs that needs to be performed at a different tempo live than on record.

NEVER GOING BACK AGAIN: Glad it made the cut. Stevie goes over and puts on the long sleeves, which she ties in a bow in back, but she doesn't change bodices here like she used to last leg. She still has the button down top on.

Rhiannon: Most impressive I've heard this tour. Maybe I was listening with a new attitude or maybe Stevie was singing with one. But the song didn't come off as obligatory in the least, the way I've thought it was before. It was a highlight. Come: There's silence after Stevie touches hands with Lindsey and walks off this stage. I'm waiting to see what new song will be inserted in this space. Then I hear, Come beginning (why couldn't the bedouin strain have been an introduction to Miranda instead). Surprised me that this song stayed. Can't say I was happy about it.

Big Love: Superb.

Landslide: They use regular monitor footage on the backscreen now, instead of that lace like tapestry image they used to hang behind them. Stevie comes out and says the song is dedicated to a guy she met when she was 15, Steve. He inspired the first song she ever wrote at 15.5. She tells Lindsey she doesn't think that he knows this. What! Lindsey hasn't heard all about the first love that broke Stevie's heart? What rock has he been hiding under all these years. When they hold out hands and interlace fingers near the end of the song, Stevie kisses his hand. As Stevie says maybe the landslide will bring you back down, the image of her on the backscreen begins to descend, like the setting of a sun. Nice graphic. After it's over, when he gives her the forehead kiss, I imagine he gets a mouthful of bang.

Beautiful Child: She gave the whole speech about a songwriter never thinking a tune will be heard again. She says these guys urged her to sing BC this time, because they know she loves it so much. It was lovely.

GDW: Stevie just keeps tweaking this thing. She was holding notes like crazy. Sell that kingdom baby! She sang "sell" for a really long time. Went over to play with John during his spotlight. Then, in the end she kept repeating "shadow, shadow, shadow . . ." This song continues to be fresh. I'm so Afraid: Same as it ever was. Silver Springs: Same as it ever was, but I mean THAT in a good way. This is why I am going to see the last show of this tour, whenever and wherever it is. Because I think they might change this song a little at the end and I want to witness it. The last versions of it in The Dance were scintillating.

Tusk: Well, after he jumps on John and pulls his chord from the guitar and swings it, he approaches Stevie as if stalking prey, but he just ends up hugging her and they turn around embracing, without the fake fighting. Better. Stand Back: Talk about rooms on fire. Still a sensational crowd number.

GO YOUR OWN WAY: The song is, as always, a cosmic reward. I love it when Stevie turns her back to the microphone (and to the audience) and sings just to Lindsey. World Turning: Was hoping for a new song and new drum solo here. Didn't get it. When Mick introduces the band he says that Jana had a lot of family and former band members rooting for her in the crowd. Lindsey blows a kiss when Mick introduces "Miss Stephanie Nicks" she shakes her tamborine in acknowledgement after bowing. He introduces John as the back bone, the bass player, the "be all and end all" of FM. John laughs and wipes a hand across his face.

DON’T LET ME DOWN AGAIN: Stevie introduces this as "something from our past." I liked it, but I think that perhaps this is a candidate for being dropped. The band might feel that the audience didn't respond well. I don't know.

Don't Stop: Sounds better than the last leg. Also, Stevie stand at the mic singing "don't look back" softly for a long period of time, which she hadn't before. I didn't think it really was the end (and in shows that don't run as long due to technical problems, maybe there might be a second encore) of the set, but it was a lovely way to close. At the end of the show, she thanks the audience for putting up with the mistakes with love and understanding. She says that we are going to heaven for doing that. Yeah, Stevie, when's the last time anyone booed you off the stage because of a few mistakes?

As they took their final bow, Mick was starting to leave the stage. He's used to a second encore just like I am. He laughed at his mistake. Lindsey kissed Stevie. Stevie and John hugged and kissed. Stevie came to the mic and thanked us for understanding about the musical mistakes. Lindsey was the last one to leave, but he only signed one or 2 things. Without 2 encores, there will be a lot fewer people coming away with autographs. Thus, we came to the end of the first show of the 2nd leg. These are not the only performers I've liked for 25 years, but I have to say that they are the only ones who keep giving me new reasons to fall in love all over again.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember when I wrote a review of this show on a forum back then Louie Louie had a very funny line. I wrote that Stevie said that when she and Lindsey started out in Fritz, they worked on stages where none of the equipment worked "and look where we are today?" In response to that Louie said that where they are today is on stage -- where none of the equipment works!

Michele
Old 03-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a great review Michele! Wow, you went to a pretty intimate show there...not too many times you get to see things like that. And how did the audience react to all this? Were they cheering and applauding and "ooohhing" or was it pretty quiet? You never can tell, given certain crowds at certain times.

I was at the show where Lindsey got pissed and decided to smash his guitar. Pretty intense stuff. J'taime Fleetwood Mac. *sigh*

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 03-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Michele!

I enjoyed reading that. I missed all of the SYW Tour. I found out that they were playing Denver the day of the concert. By that time tix were over $200 and I just couldn't swing it. It was too selfish to spend $200+ on myself, when we as a family, were doing without.

The next summer (2005) Stevie did the Golddust Tour at Red Rocks. We went as a family (5 of us)...and the tix were about $75 a piece. Hubby said, "Never again." but he did like the song Enchanted.

Denver, November 2006 I saw Lindsey alone ($55) ..and the Gods were smiling on me. I forgot that tickets were going on sale and logged onto Ticketmaster 40 minutes AFTER the tix had gone on sale. I pulled up Row A Seat 8. I got the front row and didn't know how to act...and was afraid I'd be trampled, when they rushed the stage. (I am such a guppie.)

I would like to go to a Mac concert in 2009 if they tour and hit Denver. But I suspect that the tix will be in the $100 starting price....

I do admire Lindsey for keeping his ticket price at the $45-$55 range...but I am sure that his ticket prices will have to go up. I worried about his making money if the venues were 1000 people...but maybe he got a cut of the T-shirt sales.

With gas prices expected to reach over $5 a gallon, I would think ticket prices would have to go up...it must cost a fortune to fill those big rigs.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
What a great review Michele! Wow, you went to a pretty intimate show there...not too many times you get to see things like that. And how did the audience react to all this? Were they cheering and applauding and "ooohhing" or was it pretty quiet? You never can tell, given certain crowds at certain times.

I was at the show where Lindsey got pissed and decided to smash his guitar. Pretty intense stuff. J'taime Fleetwood Mac. *sigh*
What was it like to witness Lindsey trash the Turner? Was it surprising? Was it silence or was the guitar making any noise at all?

Did they really hand out pieces of it to the audience?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
What was it like to witness Lindsey trash the Turner? Was it surprising? Was it silence or was the guitar making any noise at all?

Did they really hand out pieces of it to the audience?
It was sort of surreal. It was my fifth Lindsey concert for his UTS tour (yeah, obsessed much?) and of course all of his other shows were just perfect and he was wonderfully upbeat and in great spirits. But for some reason he just seemed "off" on this day, I don't know what it was. But when it got to the point where he couldn't do his solo and the plugs were all twisting and wrapping around him, I could tell he was steamed. And then he just was like f&* it and started slamming his guitar on the stage and beating it with great ferocity. This lady next to me was scared, and another woman started jumping up and down excitedly because she thought it was his normal stage antics...but he was pretty upset. And the poor boy who was in charge of plugging in all his guitars and whatnot turned white. Afterward, Lindsey was like "I just killed my guitar." It was pretty awesome. He's a bit of a hot head, and it's all good because I already knew he was- I think everyone does- so I can accept that. He is gracious, sweet, and generally has a wonderful disposition during his shows, so what's one (or three) little temper tantrums here and there?

When the aforementioned boy (more like mid-20s) threw some of the guitar pieces into the audience someone asked him about it and he said it was "Nothing new" with Lindsey.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 03-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
When the aforementioned boy (more like mid-20s) threw some of the guitar pieces into the audience someone asked him about it and he said it was "Nothing new" with Lindsey.
That does seem surreal, especially in a small venue when there's such a close connection between audience and performer. At an SYW concert, if the same thing had happened, it wouldn't have been as intense.

I'll tell you that that guitar tech of Lindsey's got on my nerves, because he seemed so clumsy. Ray has been with Lindsey a long time and he is so blase about it. He puts it in Lindsey's hand and it's like a turn key operation, all Lindsey has to do is play. No adjustments necessary. But the new guy kept handing Lindsey guitars so that the cords tangled around his feet and I honestly thought the guy was going to make Lindsey fall and break his neck. It bothered me. But it also used to bother me when Lindsey would hit Mick's drum kit with his naked fist. I thought he was going to split his hand open. So, I just guess my over active imagination just thinks up scenarios where Lindsey is injured.

Betsy, that's amazing that you got first row seats from Ticketmaster. I always have to go through a scalper to get seats that good.

I think the Madison, WI audience was very receptive; they laughed and reacted pretty enthusiastically. In fact, even though I liked the concert, the equipment failure was the best part of the show for me.

Michele
Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Registered

Great review, Michele! Takes me back to that night like it was just yesterday.

Definitely a memorable show- not just for the many reasons you mentioned, but also because I was the the guitar "player" for GYOW that night. Good times!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was there as well with gldstwmn, sara1998, and a few others. La Nicks and crewe stayed at our hotel. In fact, we had dinner at the table next to Stevie, which was cosmic to say the least.

I posted a review on here or maybe on Nancy's board. It pretty much said what was said above. I do remember La Nicks almost bewitching LB on stage when he seemed to be ready to get really angry at the, I think, second guitar glitch. Then, when she got up so close to LB's face at the end of Sara - it was just a palpable effect of the emotion that obviolusly exists between these two people.

I wish I could find that review.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Here is a link to some of the photos I posted after the Madison show on May 8th 2004. Keep in mind that this was the first day I used the camera. LOL You'll find some not so clear LB sit-up and push-up photos.
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...hlight=Madison
Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
Here is a link to some of the photos I posted after the Madison show on May 8th 2004. Keep in mind that this was the first day I used the camera. LOL You'll find some not so clear LB sit-up and push-up photos.
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...hlight=Madison
I forgot you were there To me, that show was just so cool, with the spontaneity, Sara, etc.

In those pics you posted - the ones of Sara illustrate what I was talking about above - you can almost feel the obvious love between them there.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Those are wonderful photos Pattie. They make me laugh all over again.

Michele
Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks so much Pattie for giving us the link AND for the original photos. I am glad that you were there to capture so many great moments, and the to share them with the rest of us. I totally missed the SYW Tour so it is enjoyable to read the reviews and see the pictures.