User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
yes it's very experimental, unusual, unique and unlike anything I've ever heard the mac play before

Like nothing you have ever heard the mac play before, are you kidding? have you not been listening to the mac since lindsey and stevie joined, hello? that song inparticular is very melodic, very, do i dare say "commercial sounding" I would like to know your definition of what experimental means to you. As for his other shall i say, what you others call Lindseys non commercial, experimental songs such as come or red rover. is it that he can play the drums on a box of kleenex or distort a vocal? as far as the song "come" goes, its nothing to far from a led zep song and that sound was back in the 70's. Its not that this type of song has never been recorded before or is so experimental that you never heard nothing like it ever before, maybe you never heard it before from lindsey within FM. but as far as WTWCT, that song is no different from any other song out there. This isnt to say that i dislike "come", its just that I do not see it as something thats never been done before. Maybe something lindsey has never done before in his solo or with FM . Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
SOOOOOOOOOOO True!!!

But still, don't you think it's a pity that, aside from the TD-discussion, Stevie makes very few comments on the artistic value of the whole project? I just would have liked to see some more quarrels about music. Also from Lindsey, by the way...

Thats kind of unfair to say, we only saw 90 minutes of many, many hours, of filming. So we really will never know for sure what was said. I do however think, that if they do another studio album, it will be a joint effort. stevie was on tour and left the demos behind, and as for lindseys songs they were all done already except to add stevies vocals on them. I think it would be cool if they actually wrote some songs together and shared the musical sound of the tune as well, cause we know lindseys songs are mostly his visions, and i dont think he would be to interested in changing something on his song because stevie suggested it, but i may of course be wrong about that, but if they wrote together, that would be a real nice collaboration.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post I'm I the only one who heard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
When discussing Stevie's "praying to the commercial gods" comment, it absolutely has to be taken in context.

The band was playing their music for record company executives, whom they were trying to persuade to give them a contract to release this music.
Record execs see dollar signs, and want to know that their investment will bear fruit.
So Stevie was pointing out what they wanted to hear... that there were some commercial songs there, that they could use to sell albums.

Not to mention the fact that the "praying to the commercial gods" reference was made in regards to that one particular song.
Songs like "Illume," "Running Through The Garden," "Silver Girl," and "Goodbye Baby," are hardly what I'd call "commercial," from a lyrical standpoint.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is...
So, she wanted Warner Bros. execs to see that the project was commercially viable?
Big, fat, hairy deal.
one of the record execs say that SYW (the song) was commercial and that's why Stevie reacts and saids: "Commercial?, I pray to the commercial gods"

So, that would mean that she does not know what commercial is, anymore.

JMO,

Isabel
Old 04-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
SOOOOOOOOOOO True!!!

But still, don't you think it's a pity that, aside from the TD-discussion, Stevie makes very few comments on the artistic value of the whole project? I just would have liked to see some more quarrels about music. Also from Lindsey, by the way...
Based on the various 'Say You Will' interviews, it seems that they didn't really quarrel too much about the music itself.
I can't remember exactly which interview, but Stevie said that she trusts Lindsey to do a wonderful job, and to not do something to her songs that she wouldn't like. And then she added that she also trusts him to listen to her opinions, on the off-chance that there is something she doesn't like.

But I know what you mean about your desire to hear Stevie talk about the artistic value of the project. I would have liked to have heard her discuss that, too.
Despite the fact that we didn't get to see that in the documentary though, I think Stevie's desire to do something artistic is very real.
To Performing Songwriter, she said:
Quote:
To me, we just have to get better. That's how we all looked at this record. This wasn't going to be just a dumb, stupid album. It's not going to be because we just felt like doing a record. This is because we needed to do this, and this musical entity needed to come through all of us, and we are serious as a heart attack about this.
Again, your typical Stevie Nicks song is not as overtly commercial as "Say You Will," so I really believe that her desire for an album or song to have commercial appeal, is secondary to her desire for artistic expression. And that any desire of commercial viability on her part, is born out of the idea that if you give the record company some of what they want, then you'll be able to also do what you want.

In the end, I think Lindsey and Stevie both want the freedom to express themselves however they choose... they just sometimes take different routes to get there.
Neither way is right, and neither way is wrong... it's what works for them, and it's a reflection of their different personalities.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 04-22-2004 at 07:05 PM..
Old 04-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice reply, johnny. I'm sure Stevie was serious about the artistic value, I would never question that. The thing is, that such a documentary pins down an image of you to the public. And I would just rather have seen an other image.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought this thread had some good reading material to it. Maybe other newbies like myself (not quite a two-year old here) would like to read the comments.

I saw Destiny Rules and thought..."Wow...that guy is gonna let THAT material out about him? He must be very secure with his own self-image."